Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-23-2007, 7:58 AM Reply   
I would prefer opinions and comments only if you have experience or knowledge with these specific boats:

1) 99 Malibu Sunsetter LX (not the LXi)
2) 93-97 Malibu Echelon LX
3) 93-95 Nautique Super Sport

I am in a unique situation where I need an AWSA approved direct drive boat. The catch is I want a boat that can throw a respectable wake with the least amount of weight possible. I have narrowed my search down to these specific boats. If you know of any other boats around this era feel free to add. And yes, I realize these boats are older and there are better wakes on the current v-drive models.

Thanks for helping.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-23-2007, 8:11 AM Reply   
There were no super sports from 93-94.
Old     (jakoerber)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-23-2007, 8:14 AM Reply   
super sport will have the best wake but it is a vdrive not a direct drive a regular sport is direct drive
Old     (bp909)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-23-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
If you are going for a Malibu check out the chart (search) that lists what hull. I owned a '00 Sunsetter and it was the Wake hull (same as Wakesetter). Purchased it new with tower/ballast/wedge for 28k. Personally I did not spend enough seasons on a Nautique to get used to the narrow steep Wakes.
Old     (fatsac)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-23-2007, 8:42 AM Reply   
I couldn't be happier with my Sanger DXII. You can find an open bow DLX for a good price and get a great wake. I'm really not sure about the least amount of weight though. I cut back to a 450 sack across the back and 250 lead through out. At that point, the wake is nice and I'm not burying the nose.
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-23-2007, 8:44 AM Reply   
Oops...Correction:

93-95 Sport Nautique.

thanks guys.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-23-2007, 9:04 AM Reply   
I would take the 99 SSLX out of those boats. The Sport Nautique throws a bit nicer wake, but the SSLX is roomier and rides smoother. The Echelon is a smaller / lower freeboard boat on the same hull as the SSLX.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-23-2007, 9:08 AM Reply   
...and when I say "a bit nicer", I mean a very tiny bit. It really depends on the wake shape you prefer also - the 'bu has a longer transition, while the CC is a little steeper.

The SSLX is also the deepest hull of those choices, and will handle a lot of weight better.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-23-2007, 9:26 AM Reply   
MC 205. 1996-2000. Same hull as the Xstar/x2/x1, and still AWSA approved.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-23-2007, 10:39 AM Reply   
Sport nautique. I own one and it throws a wake that gets chosen over several of my friends vdrive boats. It is narrow and steep so you get a nice boot at the top. I run 400#s in lead under the back seat, a fly high side sac on each side of the motor 250#s each, a fly high tube sac in the ski locker about 300#s and a 250 up front. the wake is great at 23mph at 75ft. I have no experiance on the other boats that are listed so take my opinion how you will.
Old     (blindmnkee3)      Join Date: Aug 2001       10-23-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
I've got a 93 Sport. I second that the wake is killer. I run about 2200 in mine and its solid and clean at about 23-24 mph and 78 ft. Drop all that weight and it feels like you are driving a sports car. We only board behind it, so I can't comment on the slolam wake but its pretty flat
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       10-23-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
either the sunsetter or echelon in my eyes(echelon owner) both through a great wake with a couple fat sacs. We personally have run 2000 lbs in or echelon and it handled it very well. also you can get the wedge on these boats
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-23-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
MC PS205's are a perfectly good choice too, but I'd still take the Sunsetter LX for more interior room and higher freeboard. It's just a bigger boat than the others, and honestly I'm surprised it's AWSA approved. The hull is identical to the current V-ride.
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-23-2007, 12:46 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the info so far.

I appreciate the Sanger suggestion but that boat is out since we don't have a dealer here in PHX nor do we have any used Sangers here.

Good call on the MC 205. I will definitely consider that boat too.

I already own a 99 Wakesetter V-drive (and love it) so I know what kind of wake that can throw with 1800#s and the wedge. I assume the direct drive version (SSLX) is similar. My concerns are that we cannot put a lot of weight in the boat we choose. I don't have the option of running 1500#s in the next boat since it's on a private lake.

So...my thinking was that the Sport Nautique would give us the largest wake with minimal weight. I believe the boat is more narrow compared to the Malibu's or MC's. If that's the case, I assume the Nautique will sit deeper in the water with less weight. What do you guys think?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-23-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
I was thinking the same thing about the sport needing less weight... everyone i have talked to with a 205 says it takes +2,000 lbs or so to get it big...same with the 205v, which is in the same league as Supersport... which we only weight down with like 1400 lbs and the wake us huge.... but idon't know if that helps... i would say steer clear of response... my neighbors have one and all the weight in the world won't help that thing
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-23-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
93-95 CC SPort is the same hul/wet surface as the 96-98 Super Sport and 99-06 SAN. It will throw a monster at you with enough weight. Sacs take alot of room so use as much lead or POP Bags as you can. Had a 94 and loved the wake when weighted correctly.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-23-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
I have a response and the wake isnt bad if you have the wedge. Without the wedge, you have to add a ton of weight.

(Message edited by malibuboarder75 on October 23, 2007)
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-23-2007, 1:47 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-23-2007, 4:22 PM Reply   
+1 good point about the Sport doing well with less weight, and +1 for the Wedge really improving the wake on any DD Malibu.

Isn't there a recent Vdrive that's AWSA? Tige 20V?
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-23-2007, 4:24 PM Reply   
Smooth ride and high freeboard are also not really a factor on a private lake...
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-23-2007, 4:40 PM Reply   
If you need a awsa approved hull, the original Supra Launch will throw the biggest wake. Here is a 1999. Call my son Nick}

http://www.knoxvillewatersports.com/pre_owned_detail.asp?sid=01080591X10K23K2007J6I38I 26JPMQ2904R0&veh=628766
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-24-2007, 11:17 AM Reply   
The AWSA does have a one approved v-drive for "3 event" stuff and that is the Nautique SV 211. They do have a few AWSA approved wake boats but the lake is primarily a water ski lake so they only allow the "3-event" type boats...with no wedge.

So it looks like the sport nautique may be the answer. I would like to check out the echelon and some others before making a decision.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       10-24-2007, 11:35 AM Reply   
IMO the Sport Nautique will best fit your needs.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-24-2007, 1:55 PM Reply   
agreed, nautiques are just the way to go, always
Old     (bjeremi)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-24-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
I love correct craft boats but last last statement made me chuckle
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-24-2007, 4:12 PM Reply   
Are you sure you'll get away with hiding weight and boarding on a private ski lake, long term? It won't be long before some bored old farts will start complaining. Will you be living there, or it's just a club? It sucks when your neighbors hate you. How do the contract/deed restrictions read?
Old     (azwakekid)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-24-2007, 7:32 PM Reply   
in az marine max is the sanger dealer now...
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-24-2007, 7:42 PM Reply   
Trace...you hit the nail on the head. We live on the lake and we are already having some problems with "the board". I don't think they like me as it is . This is my wife's biggest concern since this lake is such a closed community.

I'm not trying to hide weight. I am trying to get the most out of the boat and wake. This will be difficult with the restrictions placed on us. "The board" has banned wake enhancing devices. Obviously we can put more people in the boat but that isn't always an option.

The funny thing is all the skiers put weight in their boat to balance and offset observers. I also overheard a trick skier the other day requesting they go back to the dock and put more weight in the boat so he could land the trick he was attempting.

It sucks being the only wakeboarder on a ski lake. At the very least I'll be getting better at wakeskating. I guess I'll have to go slumming at the public lake with my friends on their new rides if I want a monster wake.
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-24-2007, 7:45 PM Reply   
rodney...I thought Sanger pulled the plug on that deal?? I could be getting that confused with another dealership. I check into it.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-24-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
Fluid, is this Crystal Shores you're planning to move in to? If you want info on what two seperate friends of mine experienced there then send me a PM. Good luck finding the right boat.

(btw, have you thougt about making an extra heavy tower for some extra "hidden" weight?)
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-24-2007, 8:52 PM Reply   
Fluid, get a Fresh Air Exhaust too. That makes it so much quieter that most of the other boats are going to be more noticeable than yours. The waves go away but an engine running for twenty minutes will bother many people in their back yards.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-25-2007, 6:47 AM Reply   
Jerry - Before I bought my SAN, I had a '99 Malibu Response. We used to weight the crap out of it/wedge, the wake rocked (did sit a little low in the water).

As far as keeping it on the down low, you should think about something like the Pop Products bags. Easy to hide, I have 40 of them (1600lbs) in my SAN, none in sight.

How is the family?
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-25-2007, 7:48 AM Reply   
Agree with TACK. Ppo Products are the way to go for sure. You can hide a ton of weight and never even see it. Fits perfectly in those small D-drive boats out of everyones sight.

With that said I think the easiest boat to get a nice wake out of with the least amount of weight is going to be the Sport Nauty for sure and then on those days you can hit the big lake the SPort will throw huge well defined wake with some extra weight on top of the prop bags.
Old     (jlembas)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-26-2007, 7:28 AM Reply   
You guys are going to get me in trouble! I do agree those Pop bags are sweet.

Thanks for everyone's input here. I think I am going for the sport. Nautiques have that "little kick" on the top of the wake which may be just what I need when we are running such a small wake.

Jeff - We are doing great! Back on the water now too...it's been awhile. Hope all you guys out there at Canyon Lake/socal are doing alright with those fires. My mom and her family lost their home twice to fires back in the day, so I understand how everyone is feeling.
Old     (laraujo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-29-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
For what its worth, here is a shot of the wake behind a 2003 supra22 SS with factory ballast. (Direct Drive) It was a windy day at San Vincent so there was some chop Upload
Upload