Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       01-14-2011, 7:57 PM Reply   
I currently have a pair of Boss B-530 speakers with MB Quart spekers on them. I was looking at Kickers KM6500.2 HLCD speaker set. It looks like they would make a great upgrade to the Boss speaker cans. I cant find any dimensions to see if they would work. Has anyone done this transplant before? Are the Kickers worth the $500 price tag? Anyway to see of they will fit before buying them without taking my speakers apart?

If I did buy them, I currently have a 1200 watt amp powering the pair of boss speakers, would this be enough for the Kickers?
Old     (calvolson)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-14-2011, 9:55 PM Reply   
I hope they're worth it. I haven't got them installed yet to know, but here's a pic. The specs say mounting depth is 7 3/16".
Attached Images

Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-15-2011, 5:36 AM Reply   
RM,

Powered correctly, they will absolutely be an upgrade to your current setup, especially for projecting out to your rider in tow. They also sound great close in when surfing or at the party-cove.

Mounting hole diameter - 5.688"
Grill OD - 6.80"
Woofer mounting depth - 3-7/8"
Horn mounting depth - 7-3/16

If you cans are blunts, then you should be good with anything over 3-3/8. If your cans are a bullet shape, then you will need the can to be longer then that. As you see in the pic above, the cross-over on the end of the horn is about 3.5" square. Depending on the degree of taper, you may need 8+ total depth.

What model amp do you have?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       01-15-2011, 6:04 AM Reply   
RM,
The Boss set up uses an 8-inch diameter pod to facilitate a 6.5" coaxial. The MB Quart has alot of excess grill around the speaker. You will have little trouble placing the Kicker midbass driver in this pod. The other pod houses a 5.25" MB Quart midbass driver with a much smaller O.D. This pod needs to have the standard 6.875" O.D. or very close to that to accept the Kicker horn. Its close and if it falls a touch short then an acylic or polymer adapter can be fabricated without creating a visual distraction.
This same adapter could be thicker (up to .75") to rectify a depth issue in those blunt pods which should not be an problem, especially since you can move the passive crossover into the midbass pod. So one way or another I can't see how this will not work.
And yes, the Kicker KM HLCDs will be a great choice.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       01-15-2011, 6:07 AM Reply   
With the can's being metal - would it make sense to all some poly fill and dynamat.

DavOdin - please clarify?