Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2007

Old     (joshuag)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-10-2007, 10:17 AM Reply   
How does the boat compare to other boats like the wake and the surf wake? I have never been in one nor drove one but i saw sick lookin all white one in San Jose and wasn't sure the performance of the boat. I was going to go look at one this weekend and wanted some info on it first. Also what are people paying for these boats? I don't see many of them around. Is there a reason for that? Thanks Joshua G
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-10-2007, 11:53 AM Reply   
There are not many around because it was a late season release in 2006. I have friends with one that love it. We surf and wakeboard with just the stock ballast. The boat is large enought inside that 10 of us were not even touching. One of the things I liked is that it drove like a smaller boat. I don't think you would be disappointed at all in that boat. Demo one and see for yourself.
Old     (joshuag)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-11-2007, 9:07 AM Reply   
I am planning to demo one but was hoping for other peoples input on this boat. I am really curious about the size of the wake because how wide the boat is. I would prefer not to have to add tons of weight to the boat which takes up storage space just to get a nice clean wake. It is good to hear that your friends love the boat. Thanks JoshuaG
Old     (joshuag)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-13-2007, 10:01 PM Reply   
I was talking to a friend who has a V-ride and he told me that the x-15 won't handle nearly as well and that the wake on the x15 isn't worth looking at. Now i have never been in his v-ride or any other v-ride. Is that true? I am hoping to do a demo of the x15 this weekend if the weather stays nice. I am going crazy waiting for this weekend to come. Does anyone have any comments about the x15? Thanks JoshuaG
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-14-2007, 6:51 AM Reply   
vRide
Overall Length: 21'
Beam: 93.5"
Draft: 24"
Seating Capacity: 10 persons
Weight: 3000 lbs.
Fuel Capacity: 35 gallons
Hull: SV23 Wake
Standard HP: 320
Max HP: 400

X-15
Length
21'8"
Beam
100"
Boat Weight
3,425 lbs
Seating
14 Persons or 2,325 Lbs.
Fuel Capacity
45 Gallons

I don't see how its not better or not worth looking at. It's longer, wider and heavier. I've heard good things about the X-15.
Old     (longgonebon)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-14-2007, 7:16 AM Reply   
X-15 is a more expensive boat, proper comparison would be VLX. I don't know about the performance of each.
Old     (wakebrd17)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-14-2007, 8:20 AM Reply   
Josh I would agree with your friend about the handling of the vRide and X-15. My family owns a vRide and I have ridden behind an X-15. The handling on our vRide is much better in my opinion. The wake behind the X-15 is quite wide, while the wake behind the vRide is narrower. Another positive for the vRide is that it is built on a proven wake hull and can throw a very nice wake, and it is cheaper than the X-15, however both are very nice boats and I would be happy with either
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-14-2007, 10:29 AM Reply   
My friends demoed both Malibu and Mastercraft and they chose the boat they liked based on those demos. They were also told the wake would not compare but found out differently when actually in the boat. To compensate for the wider wake we all rode at 70' instead of 75' until we got used to the wake. The deep V in that boat handles the rough afternoon water really nice as well.
Old     (faceplanter69)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-14-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
I was in Florida last week and we demoed the X-15. I've been in the old VLX and V-ride for years now and it's a proven hull for sure.

The X-15 wake is a bit wider but had about the same rampy feeling as the V-ride wake. I found the wakes really similar except for the X-15 wake being a bit wider is all. As for handling, the V-ride being a slightly smaller boat, both length and width, it probably does handle a bit better. However the X-15 handles great and unless you do power turns all day you'll never notice a difference. Where you will notice the difference is when the water gets rougher. The V-ride is one of the worst handling boats in choppy water, the X-15 really is light years ahead of the old VLX hull in that matter.

All things being equal. I wouldn't hesitate to get the X-15. If money is a big issue, you will be happy with the V-ride however, the x-15 does everything the Vride can do and does a lot of things better. X-15 would be my choice
Old     (joshuag)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-14-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
hey paul, how many people were on the boat and was the ballast full? Was the wake firm? So it sounded like the wake was pretty nice. Do you remember how much ballast the 06 x15 have? Thanks for the report!

JoshuaG
Old     (jim_mcx15)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-14-2007, 4:41 PM Reply   
X15 Has 1000lbs. Has a great wake with the stock ballast. As you add people or weight it just keeps getting better. Picked mine up in August and could not be happier with the boat. Paul is right the boat is great in the afternoon chop. It also has a ton of room. We have had 12 people in the boat and all of the gear was stored in the storage compartments.
Old     (faceplanter69)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-15-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
Joshua

There were 6 people on the boat when we went for the Demo. We had a sac filled in the bow and the stock ballast filled.

I've ridden behind an older X-10 model, years ago and from what I can remember the X-15 wake is firmer than the older model. That was one of my first rides of the year so lets just say there was some rust... Like I said, the wake is quite firm, same feeling as the old VLX, V-ride with maybe a little more of a defined lip than the V-ride.

It doesn't feel like my 05 x-2, there aren't many boats that produce a wake that boots you like that hull.

If you like to surf, the X-15 has an excellent surf wake, I would say it's a bit better than the V-ride, the V-ride surf wake is very good as well for a 21 foot boat.

Like I said before. The X-15 is just a tiny bit better in every category when compared to the V-ride. If you have the extra 5-10g's I would say the X-15 is the better boat. If they could make a boat that handles the same as the X-15, with the interior room and storage but had the wake of my 05 x-2. It would be the perfect boat in my opinion.
Old     (wakehappy)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-15-2007, 3:15 PM Reply   
If you are looking for a boat that produces the biggest cleanest wake with just stock ballast you should look at an EPIC. This boat is amazing. I test drove one the other day and I am about to buy one. In just 10 min. you have 4,000 lbs. of water in the internal ballast tanks that are all under the floor. This still allows you to have all of your storage space. Also it comes with an 8.1l engine. I dont think the x-15 comes with that. Look at an Epic
Old     (jim_mcx15)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-15-2007, 3:32 PM Reply   
4000lbs is alot of weight. The x-15 does not need that much weight to produce a great wake. In my opinion you don't need 4000lbs with a properly designed hull'
Old     (joshuag)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-15-2007, 5:58 PM Reply   
I love the way the x15 looks that is why i am asking all these questions. Plenty of room to have some friends and its a mastercraft (i think they are very well built boats and hold there resale good) so all i needed was to here that is has a good wake. Doesn't need to be the best one out there although that would have been nice. I called my dealer to confirm the demo this weekend and we set it up for saturday. Hopefully i can get some decent water to see for my self.

Has anyone seen those kits for the x2 and the x15 that add extra ballast built in? I wonder how much room you would loose in storage. Also would the ballast gauge be off when filling up the bags? Heres the link. http://www.waterskis.com/Custom-MasterCraft-X-2-X-15-Ballast-Upgrade-p/custom%20x2-fslash-x15%20ballast%20upgrade.htm
Old     (wakeskatejake)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-17-2007, 6:29 PM Reply   
Long time reader, first time poster. Josh, I've seen you ask about 10 different boats over a period of almost a year. Just friggin buy one already. You seem obsessed with comparing and picking apart every little thing and how it looks and how the wake is, and the shape, and this, and that....I mean seriously are you really that good that you're going to know the difference. I got to be honest, you sound a little like a weenie.

Buying a boat is simple, you make it way harder than it needs to be.
Step #1: Go look at boats. Compare boats IN THE SAME PRICE RANGE AND FEATURES. example x-1 to v-ride and x-15 to vlx.
Step #2: Once you are decided on a price range, go test the boats in that range. If you're dealer doesn't want to let you test drive it, RUN AWAY AND GO TO A DEALER WHO DOES.
Step #3: At this point you should have it narrowed down to at least 2 boats, now you should choose based on things other than price. example, how your dealer treats you, how the service dept. is, resale (MC & Malibu are at the top, MC IS NOT the resale king you make it out to be.)
Step #4: Shut up and buy the boat.
Old     (paulw)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-18-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
I think Jake Hozer is on to something here. If your not really in the market to buy, does it really mater how good of a boat it is. X15 is a very nice boat, and it should accommodate all your boating needs. All the tanks are under the floor.
Old     (joshuag)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-18-2007, 4:45 PM Reply   
Well jake i have looked at 3 boats (b52 v23, vtx,x15) and since i am not rich and can't afford to buy a new boat ever year i am trying to make a smart purchase. I am curious about what people have to say about the boat. I am one of those people who like to do there research about things before buying. That is just how i am and so far it has worked for me. Any big purchase over a few thousand dollars(car, truck, plasma tv, house, and so on) i did some research and i have never had a problem. So if my research bugs you then please don't click on my post. There has been alot of helpful information that i have recieved so thanks to everyone who has help. I am going to be buying the x15.

JoshuaG
Old     (wakehappy)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-18-2007, 10:13 PM Reply   
Check out Epic Wake Boat. it has the best wake on the market
Old     (lionel)      Join Date: Nov 2005       03-18-2007, 10:29 PM Reply   
"Check out Epic Wake Boat. it has the best wake on the market"

What didn't you understand about the last sentence in the post previous to yours?
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-19-2007, 7:39 AM Reply   
epics suck. first they dont have the best wake on the market and i dont know why you would say that. they might have the biggest stock wake which is only because there is 4000 lbs of ballast.
and even with all that weight the shape still sucks. the x star which is a proven hull which is used for the best events, 1080's and double back mobes, and with 3000 lbs produces a much better shape wake that is just as big if not bigger than an epic.

so to say any boat has the best wake is just plain stupid and if you had to give that label it most definately is not the epic.

best wake is pure opinion, and i like many other may like the x stars wake best im sure their are a few others that may like another boat better... not sure why though
Old     (wakehappy)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-19-2007, 1:18 PM Reply   
billy. the Epic wake is huge. look at these pics. why do you say it has a bad shape?Upload
Upload
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-19-2007, 1:35 PM Reply   
well if the epic wake is so awesome why aren't riders pulling off amazing new tricks?
Old     (wakehappy)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-19-2007, 2:10 PM Reply   
because production just started and only a few people have one. just wait
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-19-2007, 2:13 PM Reply   
austin- relax with the Epic.

Like someone said, any boat with 4000 will throw a monster.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       03-19-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
Austin, have you ridden behind an Epic? Did you take those pics? If not, how about posting some pics YOU took riding in it or of you riding behind it. IMO, you sound like a boat salesman saying crap like that...
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-20-2007, 7:40 AM Reply   
Alright Austin, you ahve your "canned" side shot of your stock wake with about 3000 pounds.

Apples for Apples here is a 2004 LSV with the same weight.
Upload
Upload
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-20-2007, 7:41 AM Reply   
Alright Austin, you have your "canned" side shot of your stock wake with about 3000 pounds.

Apples for Apples here is a 2004 LSV with the same weight.
Upload
Upload