Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old    actyourage            07-29-2002, 7:09 AM Reply   
When I try backrolls I have a bad habit of throwing the roll to early before I have poped off of the wake. The trys that I time it right I over rotate. I know I can make this trick. Is there anything that can help me to wait a split second before initiating the roll? I am considering counting to 2 or something of the sort to force myself to wait.
Old    vlxboarder            08-14-2002, 11:11 PM Reply   
just feel out different spots from which to start the backroll... find which spot on the wake feels best. then stick with that. If you crash, you over or under rotated and you either started the roll too late, or too early.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-15-2002, 9:08 PM Reply   
Where else can you find a 16 yr.old giving advice to a 38 yr.old. Boarding Rocks!!!!!!!!! Hey Bob, how are your joints? I'm already taking Glucosamine!How long have you been boarding?
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-16-2002, 9:32 AM Reply   
Sounds like your holding back on the backroll. An unconscious decision, lot of boarders deal with overcoming this problem one way or another. I had the same problem with tantrums. Solution as follows:

You need to make a deal with the guys on the boat. Every time you do something stupid, like the problem mentioned above, someone on the boat gets a free shot to your shoulder. Sound retarded, but I guarentee results. For this to work you have to be more afraid of getting punched by the tough guy on the boat, than crashing on a big backroll.
Old    actyourage            08-16-2002, 11:51 AM Reply   
I have been playing around with wakeboards since about 94. I first tried a skurfer in 87. The last 4 or 5 years I have been trying to get serious with the wakeboarding, working on inverts and wtw 360's It sucks not having a crew of friends anymore, now I just go with my wife and kids. You dont't realize how much other boarders in the boat help to analyze what you are doing and push you to do better.
Old    jmccallum            08-19-2002, 6:15 AM Reply   
I know how you feel Bob. Most of my old slalom buddies from the seventies have big guts and can't even water ski anymore. Most of the time it's my wife driving and my kids sitting in the boat wishing they were playing video games.

It's hard to find to find play friends with any more!
Old    thephatone            08-20-2002, 1:49 PM Reply   
ok, it doesn't necessarily matter how early or soon you throw it. i throw mine after i pop off the wake. what matters is where you hold the handle. the closer the handleis to your body, the faster you rotate. if you are over-rotating, then you need to spot your landing, and let the rope out a little. you can control how fast or slowly you rotate. play around with handle position a little.
Old    wakedog102            08-21-2002, 7:59 AM Reply   
here's a tip: falling on the backroll hurts a lot less than on a 360. the reason i'm telling you this is because i used to throw the backroll too early and cased the wake all the time, just because i was so nervous about going upsidedown, while i wasn't scared to do 3 after 3 even if i was catching edges and smashing my face on each one. take two deep breaths, relax and do the trick right after you stand tall and feel the pop of the wake. remember - as long as you commit, you will reduce your chances of getting hurt. relax and wait for the pop of the wake.