Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       07-08-2004, 7:59 PM Reply   
My wife ran over the rope tonight and I had to cut it to get it off of the prop...Can it be saved? I thought there was some kind of knot (no I wasn't a boy scout), and then some sort of "shrink wrap" type of coating to put over it. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

(Message edited by suckbuthavefun on July 08, 2004)
Old     (wakeeater)      Join Date: May 2002       07-08-2004, 8:22 PM Reply   
i would say trash it and get a new one it might be 100 bux and all but thats better then a trip to the emergency room believe me it happened to my dad and he messed his wrist up completly
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-09-2004, 6:44 AM Reply   
I was an Eagle Scout i can save you! Just kidding but I would get a new rope since it won't be a strong as it once was.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-09-2004, 7:10 AM Reply   
I am also an Eagle Scout

We bought a splice tool for like 65 cents at cope and mcpheters (which is a local boat store), and spliced the rope back together, good as new. If you do not know how to splice Id bet there are some sites out there that tell you how, its pretty simple.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-09-2004, 7:17 AM Reply   
boarders paradise
Old    skippy            07-09-2004, 7:28 AM Reply   
DOUBLE FISHERMAN’S

The Double Fisherman's Knot securely ties two ropes together or can be used to tie the ends of rope or cord together to form loops. Another use for this knot is to make another knot more secure by tying this knot in the running end of the rope behind another knot, a practice common to mountain climbers. In that case, you are effectively tying one half of the Double Fisherman's around the standing line of the other knot.

try this link
http://www.netknots.com/html/boating_knots.html

I would say that if you have ever climbed or sailed you will know that there are plenty of Knots that will secure a 10,000kg boat to a mooring or a 100kg man to a side of the mountain.

why throw out a $100 rope when you can make it like new with a little research and some careful Knotting.

p.s I'm guessing that your wife now owes you a favour or 2........ hehe
Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       07-09-2004, 7:37 AM Reply   
Thanks skippy. With all of my crap that she puts up with, I still owe her big time.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-09-2004, 7:58 AM Reply   
ebay
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-09-2004, 8:18 AM Reply   
they never taught me the Double Fisherman's Knot in the Boating Safety Course, i want a refund!
Old     (freakytikki)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-09-2004, 8:48 AM Reply   
2 oposing half hitches..they will tighten up on each other.done!
http://www.2020site.org/knots/
Old     (freakytikki)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-09-2004, 8:54 AM Reply   
Double Fishermans

This knot is used to join ropes. It tends to be bulky and difficult to undo but this can be eased somewhat by tying a reef knot between the two ropes first, then using the rope ends to tie the double fishermans knot (and make and even bulkier knot!).When it is tied normally, the two ends of the knot pull together closely. If not, reverse the direction of turning of one side of the knot while it. An alternative knot to use to join two ropes together is the figure-8.

dbfish
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       07-09-2004, 9:08 AM Reply   
ANY knot will weaken the rope by approx. 30%. If you make the ends into loops like the take off sections you should be fine. When the rope got caught in the prop itself, it was damaged by the forces involved, even if you can not see it.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-09-2004, 9:40 AM Reply   
I think you should bring it out everytime your wife drives the boat from now on. Just set it on the dash so it never happens again. That or paddle her ass with it!
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-09-2004, 10:21 AM Reply   
I have a double fishermans knot in my line. So far so good (never to a reef knot, that just turned ugly). Or you can make two ski line loops like a normal line (can't do this with one of those neo core lines). Miight want to buy an extention to your line now its shorter.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-09-2004, 11:49 AM Reply   
Dang! I was 1 merit badge away from being an eagle scout. I got kicked out for eatin brownies.

I tied a square not in a rope 2 years ago and it's still good. But as i see it since SHE ran over the rope, that gives you permission to buy a new rope and handle. Just tell her the ropes and the handles all come together.
Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       07-09-2004, 12:27 PM Reply   
"My wife ran over the rope tonight"

Yeah likely story and my dog ate my homework!!!

LOLOLOLOL Just kidding, I couldn't resist!!! LOL
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-09-2004, 12:29 PM Reply   
i just love it when people put WIFE did this or that in the CAPTIONS like SELLING BOAT BECAUSE WIFE WANTS KIDS OR MOVING CAUSE WIFE GOT A NEW JOB.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-19-2004, 12:32 PM Reply   
i have a family friend who is partially blind in one eye due to a rope that had been cut at some point and was tied back together... The rope broke apart again and one end whipped back into the boat, hitting him in the face and eye. i don't know what kind of knot it was, and it was probably an old ski (not spectra/wakeboard) rope. none-the-less, i'd say it is prolly worth getting a new rope and keeping safety #1.

conversely, if you really really know what you are doign with knots, maybe something can be tied and be confident about its security. hope it all works out whatever you do
Old     (gnarkill)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-19-2004, 1:28 PM Reply   
What Mr. Kevin McGuirk failed to tell everyone in his last post is what a bunch of cheap ass you all are by trying to McGyver a wakeboard line that has been “Run over by my wife”. Go buy a new rope. There is no way that fifty to a hundred bucks is going to break you, it may slow the beer drinking down for the weekend or the chance at hitting it big in this weeks lottery, but I fail to see it bringing your family to a screeching holt. But, if wearing a pirate eye patch is your idea of a “cheap solution” be my guest and the guest of Mr. Kevin McGuirk’s pirate eye wearing friend. Then your next Wakeworld post can be, “My wife didn’t let me get a new rope so now I have a eye patch, and I didn’t win the lottery.”
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-19-2004, 9:15 PM Reply   
Turk,
Another gem. You're an ass.
Regardless of whether your opinions have any validity, you will never get any respect on here addressing people like that. If you truly are new to this site, as your profile suggests, then you may soon come to realize that many of us know each another in the "real" world, and reputations linger. Oh, and if you are going to insist on acting like such a pretentious smarty-pants, try using your spell check function.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-19-2004, 9:18 PM Reply   
Oh, and nice McGyver knot on the neon pink rope section in your profile pic.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-19-2004, 10:20 PM Reply   
c'mon, doc...it was funny as hell!!! loosen up, dude!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-19-2004, 10:48 PM Reply   
Joe, OK, you got me! Are we finally even now?
I guess I forgot that this guy's whole schtick is to be the "over-the-top snide humorous parody" character. He did make me laugh pretty hard with his post to that kneeboarding thread a few days ago, whoever he is... Maybe I'll have some fun myself, invent a funny and ridiculous false identity, and then post witty-yet-inflammatory remarks and see who takes the bait. That could be fun. Anyway, sorry, my bad this time I guess, but I'm watching you, "turkish"...

(I just hope there's no spelling errors in there.)
Man, the internet is a weird place!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-19-2004, 10:53 PM Reply   
oh god. maybe you should read the message rather than the "over-the-top snice humorous parody."

are you now the wakeworld police?
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-20-2004, 12:39 AM Reply   
no, I'm the spelling police... "snice?"
Old     (98_searay)      Join Date: May 2004       07-20-2004, 8:50 AM Reply   
tey doing a square knot with the two ends of the rope
http://www.netknots.com/html/outdoor_knots.html
then find the square knot at the bottem
-alex-
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-20-2004, 9:59 AM Reply   
It is easy to fix the rope..... where it broke at you will notice that if you push it down the weave gets bigger

1: Get a 3 inch piece of shrink wrap and scratch
awl

2: measure about 9-10 inches below the cut

3: push the rope together at that 10 inch spot...this will gather the weave and loosen it

4: With the weave gathered insert the Awl to make a hole to insert the end of the rope

5: Feed the rope through the hole and into the middle of it about 3 inches down.

This would make a loop at the end of the broke end of the rope.

6: gently pull the rope to tighten the weave and slip the shrink wrap over the insert point. shrink it.

You should have a joint that is the same as the exptension pieces you buy.

Rope bunched up:

Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2004, 10:08 AM Reply   

"How to use your leftover weave for wakeboarding"

That looks disgusting! heh

B-

(Message edited by Barry on July 20, 2004)
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-20-2004, 10:15 AM Reply   
Ha ha

That is a shoe, I didn't have any ski ropes handy. Same principle

We repaired my Microfusion line this same way.