Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 22, 2006

Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-12-2006, 4:36 AM Reply   
Would like to solicit some opinions on what style of board you think would work best with the type of wake behind my Glastron (See my profile pic). I would like to try some different boards this season and need some ideas on which boards to target.

Rich
Old     (criswb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-12-2006, 9:15 AM Reply   
3 stage board. or an abrupt continuous
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-12-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
All theories aside, personally, I think that a continuous rocker board works better with a small wake.
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-12-2006, 10:34 AM Reply   
The last continuous rocker board that I have owned is a 2001 Belmont, it was always a little too loose for me. Any suggestions on a newer continuous rocker board to try.
Old     (daren)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-12-2006, 11:22 AM Reply   
I think most of the "newer" boards are being created to work better on bigger wakes (more rocker, 3 stage, etc.). Example: The LF Team is basically a Trip with more rocker.

In my experience, LF boards are light, snappy, and fun to ride (I pretty much have only ridden LF and HL). That's important if your wake isn't super huge. If you have a huge wake, you might be more interested in a board that just lands good (for example). On a small wake, it's also really important to edge all the way up it - the LF Trip/Teams are good at that. If you have a SuperAir with 2000lbs in it, it doesn't matter so much how you edge.

Between the Trip and the Team I prefer the Team. The LF Trip rides really flat (tail high - nose low) and seems to land hard for me. The Team rides at a better attitude (angle). Out of all the boards I've ever ridden, the LF Squirt 32 gets the most pop on a small wake, I'm 150lbs. It's small and squirrelly and now that I'm riding a bigger wake, I like a larger board for stability.

Another thing, in my opinion, Hyperlite boards are neither "Hyper" nor "Lite" and they just don't feel like the water flows correctly under them. LF boards seem to "work" much better, loose when flat, locked when edging. I've tried the 01 Belmont, Lots of LF boards, and 3 or 4 other HL boards. The new HL boards may be different, but I've always been disappointed by them.
Old     (sandman59)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-12-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
Daren,

Thanks for your post. Your right in pointing out about being "loose" when edging and flat. My Belmont wasn't loose until I was edging hard and then it wanted to slip out. My 2003 Byerly is a great board and is fun to ride, but I noticed when I was riding behind a 2005 X2 that it seemed more suited to that wake.

(Message edited by sandman59 on May 12, 2006)