Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-06-2010, 8:13 AM Reply   
I am not really having a problem getting wake to wake, but rather controlling it. I want to nail some 180s this summer and progress toward some 3's. I have somewhere along the way developed a bad habit of letting go with my back hand as soon as I leave the wake. I am pretty sure I am doing this to keep my balance. I do not have a video, and these pictures are not even from the same jump, but are a typical jump for me. Yes, I dropped the handle and I think that was because of the same problem, no balance when leaving the wake. Is there something you can see I am doing wrong? I will try to get video next weekend. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Old     (blaine4oh5)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-06-2010, 9:12 AM Reply   
i would say keep the rope pulled into you instead of letting your arms fully extend. I had the same problem
Old     (sippi)      Join Date: Dec 2007       06-06-2010, 9:56 AM Reply   
Keep that rope about 6" from your waist at all times. That's your center of gravity so you can control your body in the air. Might even want to try giving it a pull towards your waist as your leaving the wake. Also it looks like your putting alot of weight on just your back foot as your leaving trying being a bit more equal on both feet as first.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       06-06-2010, 10:41 AM Reply   
Start with the handle closer and lower and keep it there.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-06-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

On a side note, what do you think of my wake? I would like it to be a little steeper and taller. I'm riding 70' @ 21.5mph behind a X-10 with 2000 lbs and 6 people.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       06-06-2010, 5:03 PM Reply   
Try speeding up a little bit (like 23 mph), and taking some of the weight out of the boat. Get used to riding the smaller wake in control before you start loading the boat down.
Old     (homedawg678)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-06-2010, 6:53 PM Reply   
Ya, don't worry about the size of the wake until you get the basics down.
Old     (blowhole)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-06-2010, 6:58 PM Reply   
yes speed it up, makes the wake less wide and the falls are more fun for the others to watch. it will be easier to clear the wake for sure
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-06-2010, 7:28 PM Reply   
practice with no weight in the boat 85 foot rope and cut across the wakes and absorb them. this will help with even weight on your feet and staying on edge through the wakes.then shorten the rope to 65 feet at 20.5 to 21mph and keep rope low and close to your waist.remember how you take off is how you land. if you take off balanced and not too much line tension , then thats the way you will land. good luck!
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-06-2010, 7:32 PM Reply   
If I am supposed to build tension while edging, how do I have low tension when jumping?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-06-2010, 7:47 PM Reply   
with a progressive edge , cut out settle or coast then the boat will start pulling you in to the wake. think of your hardest edge as a 10 start off 15 to 20 foot out at a 3 to 4 edge when you get to 8 to 10 foot be at 5 to 6 then at 6 to 8 foot out be at 7 then when you are 2 to 3 foot out go 9 to 10. make sure you pull the handle in to your waist this wil help lower the tension. if you cut too hard too fast it builds too much line tension. pop is created by pressure not speed.
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-06-2010, 9:47 PM Reply   
It looks like you're manipulating your board right at the wake just before taking off. Almost like you're anticipating the "buck" off the wake. It all starts when you cut out and you get into position. So, cut out on your toeside, relax and get into your seated position here. Wait until the boat pulls you in toward the wake and start a slow progressive edge (for regular wake jump). It is very important to maintain this same position through the wake. The line tension should increase as you aproach the wake and be at it's peak when you hit it. Again, do not squat any more or bend at the waist, or anything like that as you aproach the wake. Maintain the exact same seated position as when you started. Only thing that changes is you're edge. I sometimes find myself "re-positioning" my body right before hitting the wake and both my pop and control suffer because of that. Remember, how you take off is how you will land. Last but not least stand tall at the wake by extending your legs and pushing the rope handle down. Hope this helps.

Tony
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-08-2010, 12:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0nyv831 View Post
It is very important to maintain this same position through the wake.... Maintain the exact same seated position as when you started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0nyv831 View Post
Last but not least stand tall at the wake by extending your legs and pushing the rope handle down. Hope this helps.

This is the part I never understand.... how can both these statement coexist? How can you maintain your position all the way through the wake, while also standing tall? I'm not saying you are wrong. I have heard this many times before. I just don't get it.

When exactly is it time to leave the seated position and stand tall?

a) at the base of the wake
b) halfway up the wake
c) at the lip of the wake
d) somewhere else

Also, what are the consequences of getting this timing wrong? e.g. I think I stand tall too soon and lose my edge.

Is it possible to stand tall w/out losing your edge?
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       06-08-2010, 7:02 AM Reply   
For most tricks, you have to maintain your edge "through the wake". What I understand this to mean is most beginner riders tend to flatten out when they hit the trough of the wake slowing them down too much to successfully clear the wake. You need to maintain your edge up the wake and stand tall at the peak. It takes some practice in order to find the pop, but once you nail it a few times, it becomes second nature.

It is not impossible to stand tall and maintain your edge, but think about how far you will have to be leaning back to maintain that edge. Adding a wake jump to that equation equals no success.
Old     (t0nyv831)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-08-2010, 10:43 PM Reply   
You're right in that they can't co-exist if you're stand tall at the wake. I probably should of been a bit more clear. You can maintain the same seated position and not do anything else but edge up the wake (some refer to this as through the wake), not absorb the buck with your knees and get more pop and be more in control. The rocker in your board will take care of geting u up the wake all you have to do is maintain the line tension and handle position. This is where most beginners, including me, have the most trouble. I sometimes tend anticipate the buck off the wake, flatten out at the wake and my W2W suffers big time. When I hit it just right, I've found that it's almost effortless and I get the most height out of my w2w jumps. Check out this article on wakeboarding magazine by Shaun Murray and he breaks it down pretty good. The article is titled "How to do more with less." Hope this helps.

http://wakeboardingmag.com/how-to/20...ore-with-less/