Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 11, 2007

Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-20-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
anyone ever wake off the ar230 yamaha it looks good.
Old     (boomerang)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-20-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
It has about the same wake as a bass boat.
I thought we had already covered this, it is a large duel engine jet ski.
We have a friend that has one with a tower and all the racks, but the only thing the boat is good for is making sharp turns,
you might ski behind one, learn how to get up on wakeboard or learn to wakeskate. It is even poor for tubing because it has no wake.

It is good for all the other wakeboard boats, cause they don't mess up the butter.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-20-2007, 12:06 PM Reply   
I guess you have never been in a cove that was nice and calm until one of these things came in it pulling a tuber doing zig zags.

I agree they don't throw a big wake and are bad for wakeboarding but the wally behind the wheel can definitely tear up the butter.

Not that I am bitter...

(Message edited by Schmo on June 20, 2007)
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-20-2007, 9:48 PM Reply   
i have seen pics of people going big behind them. Not that i want one but my first true love is motocross and i love yamahas and the boats look cool, and they have a balist. I am looking for an unbiased opinion about the wake.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-20-2007, 10:04 PM Reply   
The wake is not going to be large or even moderate sized by anybody' standards on this site. My old Bayliner throws a larger wake with no ballast. It's a jet drive so while boarding behind it holding speed will be damn near impossible. IMO spend your money on an inboard DD or VD. haha VD That's about as unbiased as it gets considering I love thier street and dirt bikes also.
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-20-2007, 10:26 PM Reply   
I have a boat and im happy with it... But they have perfect pass and a ballist, if you sack it down it would have to throw up some. again this is not a should i buy, just want to know more about all types boats.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-20-2007, 10:30 PM Reply   
well I gave you my opinion of a jet boat which sums up pretty much all jet boats. PP or not it will not throw much of a wake! where are these pics of guys going big off the wake? I'd like to see those. Can you post em?
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-20-2007, 10:35 PM Reply   
yamahas web site
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-21-2007, 6:06 AM Reply   
People have given you unbiased opinions. Yes, you could sack one out however jet drives don't respond to weight well and they will have a very difficult time keeping speed. These boats are light in general and don't have the hulls designed for great wakes.

So, if you want to sack out one to get a marginal wake, that will be slow out of the hole and not hold speed well... this is the boat to get. It is not a boat for the wakeboard enthusiast.

As for the pictures on their website... I have a bridge to sell in Brooklyn... I can send you a picture if you like.

(Message edited by Schmo on June 21, 2007)
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-21-2007, 7:11 AM Reply   
good info makes sense and you cant change the prop like a inboard
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-21-2007, 7:38 AM Reply   
I don't agree that they're going to be slow out of the hole. Those things hit 30 almost 2 seconds faster then a wake board boat that aren't slouches in that category. You could change the impellers in the jets if you ever needed.

That being said, they won't throw a wake you'd be happy with or would even compare to a Sea Ray, etc. The dual engines don't have any way to install cruise control either. However, I do like the rear entertainment area.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-21-2007, 7:54 AM Reply   
With a starting price at 37K, you could get a really nice wakeboard boat. All that thing is, is an oversized, overpriced, jetski. The wake will suck. It will be soft, small, and the table will be all jet wash. But if thats what you really want, go get it. We will see you back in a year or so asking about Vdrives, and why you are taking it in the arse on resale.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-21-2007, 8:20 AM Reply   
Tub O Shaat
Old     (wetnpropless)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-21-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
I have to say i have read a lot of the post on this forum and after reading this one, i had to sign up and reply...

I am the proud owner of a 2005SX 230 and love it. Wake is not as bad as most of the people make it out to be. It's true that when weighted down the wake is night and day when not any extra weight. Still not near as crisp as a wakesetter.

But we can go places that a V-Drive won't dare. We love to beach the boat and dont have to worry about killing a prop in the process. Very maneuverable with duel engine control and very, very quick out of hole...

This is not an unbiased opinion, but wanted to give some input from an actual owner...
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-21-2007, 12:08 PM Reply   
What everyone is saying is true. I am a current Sea Doo boat owner and I can attest. I have 1400lbs of ballast and it bogs coming out of the hole. The table is all washed out. Not having PP the speed is very hard to maintain. Yes you can get air off the wake but it is definitely not comparable to what you can get off a wakeboard board. Save yourself the heartache in which I endure. If its use is wakeboarding, get a wakeboard boat. If its a general family boat then it should work fine.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-21-2007, 3:23 PM Reply   
That was my exact point... It's in no way a bad boat, just not anywhere near the level inboards or at! This whole website is WAKE world and Jet boats regardless of what one don't throw much of a wake... that said I'm sure wakeskating would be dandy behind one.
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-21-2007, 4:18 PM Reply   
If your passion is purely wakeboarding and you're really good at it, then yes, definitely get a true wakeboard boat. Nothing can beat the wake from a dedicated wakeboard boat. But if you have a family that enjoys a multitude of water sports, the Yamahas and SeaDoos are hard to beat.

True, the Yamaha AR230HO (or non-HO) does not have big wake like the V-drive or direct drive boats because: 1) it has a modified v-hull not a flat bottom, 2) it is a jet drive, it shoots out water and does not dig down like the prop will, 3) it does not have Perfect Pass like someone mentioned so it's a little hard to find the perfect speed for everyone. But that does not mean that you can't control the speed. You just have to know how to feather the throttles (either one or both). Only the SeaDoo 230 Wake has PP and ballast as OEM equipment. However, PP is now available on the Yamaha 230 boats, if you contact PP directly, and 4) it does not have the hydraulic plates to pull the transom down like some dedicated wakeboard boats.

Most people buy a jet boat because they have different priorities, that's all. We fish, swim, tube, wakeboard, cruise, bbq, picnic, etc. off our AR230HO. It has a swim platform that is second to none. I doubt a prop boat could do a submarine dive, can stop on a dime, w/o dropping it's tranny on the floor!!!

Also, don't let the uninformed tells you that jet boats are slow to accelerate. It can out accelerate just about any V-8 wakeboard boats out there. Even if you bring a $60k - $70k MC/Malibu, it will still be wasted by either the Yamaha or the SeaDoo. The SeaDoo 230 Wake with the 430HP engines will smoke you so fast, you will think you're dreaming.

Cory - what kind of SeaDoo do you have? If you compare a ballasted down jet boat to the same ballasted down prop boat, it will still out accelerate the prop boat. If you have 1400 lbs of ballast on any boat, it'll bog down too!!! The table area is washed out because it's a jet drive, it uses water to propel the boat - that's given, use a longer rope - we do!!!

If there's someone that doesn't believe me, and if you're near Anderson Lake in Morgan Hill, bring your boat down, we'll do a couple friendly drags to see. We'll film it and post it so everyone could see it as proof. It's an open and friendly invite!!!

Also, you CAN change out impellers just like you could with propellers.

Did I mention that you never have to worry about getting cut by a prop, replacing a prop when it gets dinged, or almost zero maintenance on a jet boat - at least on the Yamahas?

To each his own but before anyone disses something, make sure you have the correct information and be informed.

(Message edited by kvoman on June 21, 2007)

(Message edited by kvoman on June 21, 2007)
Old     (towboat_222)      Join Date: Feb 2007       06-21-2007, 4:50 PM Reply   
Jet boats at wake speeds or surfing speeds are bout as bad as it gets. Im a Sea Ray, Sea Doo and Centurion dealer. If you want to run around in smooth water. The jet boat is great and all you want to do wakeboarding is reck go for it. I still havent figured out why anyone wants to do spin outs with a 23 foot boat. If your going to wake boat seriously buy a wakeboard boat not a fakeboardboat.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-21-2007, 7:18 PM Reply   
jetboat owners make me
Old     (wetnpropless)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-21-2007, 8:49 PM Reply   
Hey Clint i'll be at A/H Sat. So if jetboat owners make you crazy... better stay in lubbock...
Old     (greenie95125)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-21-2007, 9:18 PM Reply   
>>jetboat owners make me <<

Hehe, I every time my buddy takes his X-30 in for service!

--Mike
Yammie SX230HO Proud Owner. Did I mention no payments? Oh I suppose if it's your Daddy's boat, you have no payments either.
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-21-2007, 10:48 PM Reply   
what about surfing?
Old     (kvoman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-21-2007, 10:58 PM Reply   
A few do surf. If you want more information, feel free to shot me an e-mail (kvoman@yahoo.com). I won't be able to get back to you until Wednesday since I'll be going to Shasta to camp with the family for a few days.

Greenie95125 could also get you the information on wakesurfing behind the 230.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-21-2007, 11:17 PM Reply   
"Hey Clint i'll be at A/H Sat. So if jetboat owners make you crazy... better stay in lubbock..."

the last yamaha "wakeboarder" I saw at Henry kept doing a powerturn every 5 seconds when their noob rider couldn't get up on the smooth section of the lake. Hope that wasn't you.

I'll be there on Sunday.
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-22-2007, 5:13 AM Reply   
People are saying that jetboats dont hold speed when weighted down. Well, my last boat was a jetboat and it was just the opposite. If you dont have any weight the boat just wants to take off and go. But when weighted down it holds the boat back giving you better speed control.

I am noy saying it is easy either way just saying alot of people dont know cause they have never had one but just post anyways going with what they have read before.
Old     (wetnpropless)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-22-2007, 6:19 AM Reply   
Nope that was not me, this will be the first time taking our Jetboat to A/H... But maybe i'll go Sunday too just to piss you off by doing some power turns for ya...
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-22-2007, 6:28 AM Reply   
I was thinking about getting one, but have a few questions. How are the 2 engines for gas consumption? What do you do when weeds get in the intake? Do you slide on turns or does it grab? Hows the resale?
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-22-2007, 6:59 AM Reply   
Its a wakeboarding website. The guy asked how they board. There is no comparison to a Vdrive. For the price, if you like to board, you are better off in a Wakeboard boat.
Old     (wetnpropless)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-22-2007, 7:55 AM Reply   
Clint, I'd like to take back my comment... I'm not usually like that and dont want to get into some tiff over boat crap. I just get aggrivated that jetboaters are stereotyped as crazy peeps in a boat.

I always have my 5 year with us, and we enjoy all aspects of boating and not just wakeboarding.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-22-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
i have no problems with any types of boat getting into wakeboarding, as long as they learn how to do it right.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-22-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
To the person that keeps saying that they can get out of the hole as well as an inboard, I have a test for you.

Load that Yamaha with 3000lbs (something that isn't uncommon in many boats on this site). Now try to get out of the hole with it like a prop boat.

Sure these boats zip around the lake and accelerate fast since they are very light and the jetdrive works great in that scenario.

I have driven in many jetboats and have yet to see one that you can load down and get out of the hole. I am not saying that you can't get an ok wake out of one, however if your main objective is wakeboarding ... look elsewhere.

If you have to drive in shallow waters and like zipping around the lake and wakeboarding is just a side hobby, go for it.

(Message edited by Schmo on June 22, 2007)
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-22-2007, 11:18 AM Reply   
Bottom line there is no comparison to a typical wakeboat and it will not be better than an inboard in aspect related to boarding
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-22-2007, 11:24 AM Reply   
The other day I was thinking to myself "there hasn't been a thread on here that has gotten everybody riled up in a while, I sort of miss it." And then bam...this thread. Like christmas in June.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-22-2007, 11:45 AM Reply   
Daniel,
See "lost drop ski" in the wakeboard discussion thread. There was also one on banking, but it got so bad it was yanked.
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-22-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
Paul,
Thanks, I appreciate the tip, I'll check it out. I skipped that one because I don't ski, and I live 2000 miles east of the legendary delta (Chicago). I don't normally like it when everybody gets all upset because we are all here for a common love, but every once in awhile its entertaining!
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-22-2007, 11:38 PM Reply   
hey i dont even want a jet boat, just info and look what happened
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-23-2007, 12:04 AM Reply   
go to a jetboat website then. This is WakeWorld I'm sure there's a jetboat forum somewhere you could utilize to get better grasp on jetboat qualities.
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-24-2007, 7:31 AM Reply   
Donaldrhill, try jetboating.net. They are really good for info in regards to Sea Doo, Sugar Sands, and Yamaha jet boats
Old     (pessy)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-24-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
Jet Boating is a riot. Can go many places we can not in our 210 Team. I have to say they are super fun boats, and a nice alternative for the every day boaters who are looking for a combo boat. Tubing behind one is the best. Yet for us and our gang, when we are on the water its about Wakeboarding, so the wake is paramount. Get what you like, but before you buy, know what you truly want out of a boat.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-24-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
Does anyone realize that the best selling 23 foot boat in the USA is the Yamaha?
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-24-2007, 12:45 PM Reply   
Where is there a picture of a SeaDoo 230 Wake or something close to that? I cann't seem to find one...maybe I'm just an idiot tho!haha
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-24-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
Art- Thats neat it sure isn't on this site. We wakeboard we don't tube and powerturn on this site.
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-24-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
Here is to show my boat wake 1400lbs compared to a "02" Mastercraft X-Star no ballast.
Mine (19'6" sorry no pics of a 23')
Upload
02 X-Star no ballast
Upload
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-24-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
I don't like to assume. Which is which? I can guess but rather you tell me. looks like the top wake is as soft as they come though and about shin high? Maybe

(Message edited by tyboarder03 on June 24, 2007)
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-24-2007, 7:37 PM Reply   
jet boat enthusiasts, you want to get these people mad? then mention tubing over glassy water, way to go. good luck with a jet boat in the dirty delta. how much stray stuff can you fit in that intake grate? anyone? anyone? jet boats can do multiple things, anyone hear of a malibu sunscape? nautique fusion hull? or am I going insane? "it's got a swim platform second to none" wow you really know how to sell your product, I know a guy, sells malibu's, don't know if you've heard of them, but a lot of people really like this boat co., anywho he tries a sales pitch on my family by telling them that malibu's interior is triple stiched. we proudly own a master craft X2.

"Does anyone realize that the best selling 23 foot boat in the USA is the Yamaha?"

I'm movin to paraguay then.
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-24-2007, 10:29 PM Reply   
2 Engines, 2 Jets, too many moving parts! Just because it has a tower, doesnt make a wakeboat. Its obviously a "versatile" family boat.
Old     (mike_gilbert)      Join Date: Sep 2004       06-24-2007, 10:39 PM Reply   
haha it looks like that kid in the 1st pic is going to catch his front foot and bake

Also what are you trying to prove, the stock xstar wake is about twice as big as your weighted down wake

(Message edited by mike_gilbert on June 24, 2007)
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-24-2007, 10:45 PM Reply   
Cory- Dont you get real wind blown without a windshield??? Hows that work out
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-25-2007, 5:29 AM Reply   
Its not to bad but yes you get wind blown.
Mike, he is about to eat it and Yes I am trying to prove that even with all my ballast that its not even half the wake of a wakeboat. Just want to be able to inform people so that they can make the best decision for themselves and possibly avoid the frustration that I currently have.
As for the intake getting clogged, I have only sucked up something 3 times over the last 3 years. We do most of our boating in the delta. It was a simple swim under and pull it out. Pretty good odds I feel.
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-25-2007, 6:08 AM Reply   
Ok its time for my 2cents. Yea this is a wakeboarding website and a lot of people take wakeboarding very very seriously, a lot of people only have people in there boats that enjoy wakeboarding as much as them and a wakeboat makes the most sense in those cases. However there are people on this site that love to wakeboard along with other water sports, there are people on here where there are only 1 or 2 people on there boat that "love" to wakeboard. In my case and I'm sure I'm not the only one, I am the only person the boat that LOVES wakeboarding, my friends on the boat will do it but they'd be just as happy if we were on skis or a tube all day. O no I said the "T" word! and no we are not irresponsible boaters we don't take the tube out on weekends and if there are other boats around us we don't go ripping up the water. I guess is what I'm getting at is the for me the size of the wake isn't everything! I'm not very good at wakeboarding and I could have just as much fun a jet boat as I could on a MC. For me its about getting out on the water with friends and family and having a good time no matter what boat we are in.
Old     (wetnpropless)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-25-2007, 7:30 AM Reply   
WOuldn't you know it, went wakeboarding this weekend behind our wakeboarding, i'm sorry I mean our jetboat and not 1 but 2 very nice new malibu wakesetters came through pulling a tube from the tower through the smooth water... So i guess jetboaters are not the only one's that tube on the weekends and drive a little crazy pulling a tube and ruin the smooth wakeboarding water...