Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            02-06-2009, 4:16 PM Reply   
I was just over at Wakeboarder.com and read a thread about this issue. In the ad copy it reads:

"is well suited for wake surfing."

http://www.chaparralboats.com/2009/index.html

Under the boat referenced above, there is the advertising propaganda and the referenced quote.

I think it's the first I/O manufacturer suggesting it.

Opinions?
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-06-2009, 4:20 PM Reply   
Hmmmm.....interesting.
Old     (wakesurf_ohio)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-06-2009, 4:30 PM Reply   
uhh..
Upload
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-06-2009, 4:41 PM Reply   
There is a huge thread about this already on wakeworld. http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/662567.html?1233518365
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       02-06-2009, 5:44 PM Reply   
Of coarse its safer there's two props to make it drive away from you faster.Damn look at where those props are at in those pictures.Though it does look like it's at trailer position,even at full in trim it's too exposed for me
Old    surfdad            02-06-2009, 6:37 PM Reply   
Marine Products maufacturers the Chaparral line. MPX on the NYSE. I had to look at their
sales data and it's down considerably like all pleasure boat manufacturers. I swiped these two quotes from the the 4th Quarter 8-K filed with the SEC.

"For the quarter ended December 31, 2008, Marine Products generated net sales of $22,764,000".

"Net sales for the twelve months ended December 31, 2008 were $175,622,000"

175 million and that's down 26 percent or something! I was thinking about this. We live
in such a litigious society and the potential for a product liability law suit has to
be HUGE. At 175 million in annual sales they are doing something right.

Is it possible that the folks at Chaparral just forgot to check with their attorneys before
making that claim?

I don't know, I'm just having a hard time believing that to be the case. I can imagine that a publically traded company has some serious due diligence before they make such claims.

Do most folks think they just didn't check that out before making the claim?
Old     (riverrunner)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-06-2009, 7:48 PM Reply   
Jeff, why don’t you send them an email and ask them directly instead of speculating on their intentions, I doubt post like this help their bottom line.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-06-2009, 8:45 PM Reply   
Watch the advertising and YouTube videos. They spend quite a bit of time rearranging facts and misdirecting the focus of people looking for a watersport boat.
I know they're not a 1970's tobacco company but someone in marketing must have studied those campaigns and seen value in the strategy.

...contemplative pause to see if I might have misrepresented the quality of their intentions...
Nope, I got it. The do make good boats and their customers are happy. Maybe the customers are wise enough.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       02-06-2009, 8:50 PM Reply   
On a side note I think that they state on paper that wakesurfing is dangerous and you should not do it. I'm sure that'll get them off the hook for the verbal claims.
Old    surfdad            02-06-2009, 8:55 PM Reply   
Contradictory cliams?! That's funny. I wonder if that is a legal strategy to counter a product liability claim. No we didn't mean that, THIS is what we meant: "don't do it! :-)
Old     (konaking)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-07-2009, 6:09 AM Reply   
I was just at the UT boat show and was talking to the factoery rep. He was trying to sell me on the wakesurfing aspect of this boat. He was also telling the are a debt free company completly solvent ??
It is funny that any boat manufacture would claim wake surfing capabilities of any boat. With the CO problems and all the misinformation out there.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-07-2009, 8:01 AM Reply   
They won't be debt free for long if people who don't know they shouldn't be, are wakesurfing behind this boat.