Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 29, 2010

Old     (mxjake720)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-15-2009, 5:36 AM Reply   
i weight 163 and growing, i'm 18 years old and 5'9. I have a ronix venue. Is the ronix bill a good board?I'm well aware that its pink and black.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-15-2009, 6:08 AM Reply   
The Bill as far as ride goes is a quick, pretty responsive, beefy continuous rocker. That rocker will really let you put the accelerator down and boot some big air into the flats. Or if you want to take less of an aggressive cut, can take you nice and big wake to wake. The only real big difference I could see coming from your Venue would be the switch from a 3 Stage to a Continuous curve, but the Venue has a more mellow rocker line anyway. If your looking for more speed, and bigger pop the Bill would be a great choice. Not to mention it's built like a brick sh^% house haha
Old     (mxjake720)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-15-2009, 9:32 AM Reply   
I just love the style of the board. I ride on an 18 foot Sea Ray and i can't get enough air for w2w and its making me mad. its been like this for 3 seasons now.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-15-2009, 11:44 AM Reply   
Hmm... do you have any video of your riding behind that boat?
Old     (blowhole)      Join Date: Nov 2009       12-15-2009, 1:13 PM Reply   
get a tower. i had a sea ray sorrento for the past 3 years. you cant do anything without a tower. Once i got that clearing the wake got better. Not automatic cause the wake sux.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-15-2009, 1:22 PM Reply   
This may have more to do with the technique you are using than the board. You happen to have a video of you attempting to go wake to wake?

I've seen people doing inverts behind fishing boats. if you have the right edge and technique, you can go wake to wake on any board.
Old     (mxjake720)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-15-2009, 2:26 PM Reply   
yes i do would you like to see the video ben?
Old     (mxjake720)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-15-2009, 2:36 PM Reply   
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=14005 702

theres more videos in my videos section
Old     (mxjake720)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-15-2009, 3:50 PM Reply   
anybody?
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-15-2009, 4:23 PM Reply   
Alright... got your problem diagnosed. I hate to burst the bubble, but getting a new board isn't going to help the situation much.

In the order the come to mind:
1) The speed at which your riding, I noticed you called a SLOW DOWN to the driver, your going to have a very hard time generating enough leverage to get the speed you need to cross the wake. Not to mention, the wake got about wider when you slowed down. At the initial speed, and towards the end the wake actually cleaned up and wasn't nearly as wide.
2) Equipment isn't necessarily 100% required, heck, I learned my first backrolls behind an unweighted I/O , but it does make a difference. Your using what seems to be a stretch rope, and on a low pull pylon, changing to a non-stretch rope and elevating your pull point will definitely help.
3) Up your speed another MPH or two, cut out another 5 feet or so, and LEAN AGAINST the rope to generate your speed, your more or less letting the boat pull you in during the video. Cut out another 5 feet, lean back more on your cut, get some leverage against the boat by keeping the rope tight as you can, hold that edge through the wake, straighten your legs by the top of the wake, and keep that handle close. You oughta clear that wake with little problem.

The Bill is a sick board, and couldn't hurt any, but I think the root of the issue lies more with the technique and getting your ride dialed in.

Here is a pic from my girlfriends cottage this summer, 18 foot Monterey with no weight, if you edge hard on that sucker and have some good speed you can get some pop out of it. Rolls may not be the prettiest thing... low flying ducks... but even they can work. There is a non-stretch rope and a pylon being used, but even without those, you could totally be clearing that wake.

Hope this helps!
Upload
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-15-2009, 4:31 PM Reply   
Check out this video, way back in the day with no ballast... it IS Scott Byerly, but the whole cutting and speed thing is definitely evident.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8159472377447193948&hl=en
Old     (mxjake720)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-15-2009, 5:11 PM Reply   
my cousin can clear the wake with his hyperlite no problem almost everytime until he tore his acl playing football..he's thinking about giving up riding now. I have cleared the wake once or twice but never stuck it out..just bad knees. torn menisci..is it possible to make my own pylon? i don't have $300 to shell out and then another $400 for a board.
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       12-15-2009, 5:23 PM Reply   
You DON'T need a brand new $400 board to clear the wake. You can get an older board a lot cheaper and still do crazy awesome stuff. This website http://boardersbestbuy.com/ often has great deals on really good boards. I'm also 18 years old, I don't have much spending money, and I ride behind a small unweighted boat, so I understand your situation
Old     (mxjake720)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-15-2009, 5:33 PM Reply   
Yea and i can't go spend 30,000 on a moomba either. unless i hit the lottery or something
but i was just thinking cuz i like the look of the bill
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-15-2009, 5:34 PM Reply   
The board you are on is perfectly fine. Trust me. Having a non-stretch rope isn't neccisarry, and sick stuff has been thrown without towers. The tecnique stuff Ben Axell said is what you need to look at. Just follow that and you should be fine.
Old     (mxjake720)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-15-2009, 5:58 PM Reply   
it seems like were going way to fast when i say slow down..is it just me?
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-15-2009, 6:10 PM Reply   
get a new rope, not a new board
Old     (mxjake720)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-15-2009, 6:12 PM Reply   
So the new board wouldn't help at all? btw what is better continuous or 3 stage?
Old     (jasonpav)      Join Date: Dec 2008       12-15-2009, 6:23 PM Reply   
A new board does help, but it is not a significant change usually. What everyone is saying is it is more about experience and technique. Having the best equipment is not required to make you a great rider. Oh, and for your continuous or 3 stage question, it is more about personal preference. Neither one is indisputably better.
Old     (mxjake720)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-15-2009, 8:41 PM Reply   
Hm...i guess ill give it my all this spring/summer. hoping meniscus heals after pt.
Old     (jrich)      Join Date: Oct 2009       12-15-2009, 8:50 PM Reply   
if you are coming off a knee injury, you probably wanna go with a continuous rocker.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-15-2009, 9:01 PM Reply   
Jake,
In regards to the questions, I can't really pick out exactly what speed precisely your traveling, however, I can tell that the speed you were at for most of the video was too slow for what you want. You were pushing water rather than riding over it. Try riding around 21 or 22 to start, and see how that feels. I personally ride at 24 mph, just what works for me usually. But you also need to take into consideration the boat your using and how the wake is at that speed.

In regards to equipment, you definitely don't need a pylon. They're nice, but definitely not necessary. If anything, you could pick up an inexpensive non-stretch rope for less than $55 and that would make a noticeable difference right away in regards to line tension. The new board, well who doesn't like new toys? I'm an addict myself. However, in this situation, a new board will do a very negligible amount of difference. The Bill is definitely a sweet ride, but the trouble clearing the wake is coming from problems in the technique. Without a more solid foundation, the differences between your board now, and the Bill won't be very noticeable at all.

3-Stage vs. Continuous rockers was hit right on the head by Jason. It's definitely a matter of preference. A true 3-stage board will cut slower due to it's kinks and flat spot, but, will deliver a very abrupt and vertical kick off the wake. A continuous board carries more speed into the wake due to it's smooth curve, giving a more stable kick and should allow you to carry more distance into the flats, some may argue, at a loss of height. However, if you've got good control of your edging, you can basically get any board to do what you want. The rocker lines basically shows what kind of kick trajectory you can expect on average. I used to ride 3-Stage, and switched to Continuous for more speed and more consistent pop. I feel like I'm getting bigger air than I ever did on a 3 Stage. But different strokes for different folks.

I'm sure other people probably have a video or a better visual example... i'm just diggin through my photos for stuff to illustrate some stuff... here's an idea on the edging.
Upload
Definitely not gonna claim my form is perfect... lol but... got the handle in close, got some distance from the wake so I can build up speed, i'm going to build that speed by leaning back and diggin my heels against the pull of the boat. Hold that edge all the way through the wake, and straighten your legs by the top and BOOM!!!

Hope this helps!
Old     (mxjake720)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-16-2009, 12:18 PM Reply   
thank you. and we are travelign around 18-19 mph we go by rpms since our speedo is always off a little bit and i noticed if you raise the trim in flight it gives you a nice bigger steeper wake but a hell of a lot rougher in the middle
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-16-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
18-19 is pretty slow. I wakeskate at 23, and wakeboard at 24-25.

Bump up the speed for sure.
Old     (mxjake720)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-16-2009, 3:09 PM Reply   
that must be it then because my cousin said it seems like he's going to slow when he pulls me.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-17-2009, 9:50 AM Reply   
Yeah, bump up the speed on that baby to 22-23 and see what's up. If you trim up a bit, the wake should even clean up for you. Don't worry about the middle, with more boat speed, you won't have to worry about landing in the middle! Good luck!
Old     (mxjake720)      Join Date: Dec 2009       12-18-2009, 9:39 AM Reply   
thank you guys for all your help ill try that as soon as spring time comes around its winter in michigan!
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-18-2009, 11:35 AM Reply   
Just as cold in Green Bay. I know the feeling. Ha
Old     (ntkamper)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-18-2009, 8:43 PM Reply   
be careful with this board. I got it and loved it , however it broke within a month. Beware of grind base, it is weak
Old     (mxjake720)      Join Date: Dec 2009       01-01-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
yeah it sure sucks.