Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (sdmjr)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-22-2007, 7:51 AM Reply   
We were riding yesterday and my friend was trying to do this trick. He would hit the wake with good speed, and good pop when he was in the air he would pull the handel back to his opposite hip and the board would come around but he would not land it. It was like he was leaning to far back and the board would shoot out so he would land on his back. I wish that we had brought the video camera with us so I could post it but we ran out of discs and did not want to go pick up more before we rode. Can anyone tell me what he should be doing to land this trick ?

I know I should have put up a video, it is hard to say what he is doing wrong without it.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       10-22-2007, 8:04 AM Reply   
The issue is that he is not getting over his toes before he lands. He is landing on his heels, which is causing him to slide backwards on the landing. There are a few things you can do to correct this....

1) Try to grab the nose of the board with your back hand. Even if you do not actually grab the board just trying will get you leaned forward and over your toes for the landing.

2) Get over your toes before you hit the wake. This kind of goes against the fundamentals of edging through the wake, but when learning HS 180's it's important to get over your toes. Getting centered over your board before you hit the wake will help you do that. As you build up confidence in landing this trick then you can start working back towards edging through the wake and then correcting your body position in the air (see next point).

3) An easy way to correct your body position in the air (aside from trying to grab your board) is to give the line a tug with your back hand before you land. Most people tend to let go with their back hand when learning 180's. Letting go with the back hand will "unwind" you and make spinning the 180 easy. However, if before letting go with your back hand you give the handle a "tug" on the way down, you will be pulling yourself over your toes and in position to land the HS 180.

These probably aren't the only tips out there, but they have worked for me and those that I have helped with this trick. Good luck!
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-22-2007, 8:38 AM Reply   
Richard has good advice for HS180. Can he do a HS inside out (off the wake) 180? I suggest working on those first before taking it w2w so you can get the landing dialed. As you are seeing, the rotation is super easy, but the landing takes some getting used to.

Also most people find TS180s easier to start with.
Old     (sdmjr)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-22-2007, 9:57 AM Reply   
He can do a hs 180 out, and he can do a olie 180 and even a olie 180 to blind. He sticks these all the time. I think that the advice you guys are giving his is good and I think he may get it by using some of the info above.
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-22-2007, 10:11 AM Reply   
I was working on it for awhile and always falling on my back. I had to force myself to land more on my toes. I was afraid of catching that edge landing on my toes but I never did.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-22-2007, 10:12 AM Reply   
how good does he ride switch? if he's not comfortable landing them, some switch riding should take care of sketchy landings.

He is hitting them TS if he slides out on his butt.. right?
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       10-22-2007, 11:04 AM Reply   
When I was learning these a couple of years ago, I got some great advice (in addition to the advice posted above about landing on your 'toes' as opposed to your heels) from Thane Dogg.

This is what works for me. Jump the wake as normal, as you hit the peak (or even later), let go with your lead hand and bring the handle to your rear hip. The key is 'where' on the hip. Pretend like the handle is a 'revolver' and you are trying to slam it into a holster on the side of your leg. To do this, obviously you will need to rotate the handle down by 90 or so degrees.

When I focused on really cranking that handle down past my hip, I started sticking them. When I do them now, that motion is no longer present, but as a learning tool it works great.
Old     (sdmjr)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-22-2007, 11:06 AM Reply   
he rides switch allot. looks like he is pretty comfortable.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-22-2007, 11:21 AM Reply   
timing, like loren mentioned. he's throwing them too early and coming off axis.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-22-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
I usually just look at the toe edge, he was most likely looking at the boat, thats no bueno.