Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 02, 2007

Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-28-2007, 5:19 PM Reply   
Well on my second run on Sunday I threw a backroll on my second pass across the wake and destroyed my two month old Ronix ONE board and left binding. I'm not really sure exactly how it happened... I guess I just hit the water at just the right angle causing it to bust. The screw thread actually busted out of the top of the board and is still attached to the binding. The binding base plate also cracked in the same spot.

I didn't throw the backroll too big but I did take a very hard edge at 23.5. The worst part is I had to use an old Liquid Force for the rest of the Memorial Day weekend camping trip. Hopefully Ronix will cover this with the warranty. Oh yea, I did get it on video and did not land the trick. I'll post the video later for critiques. Here are some photos of the damage for now.

http://www.aarondenny.net/images/ronix/brokeone01.jpg

http://www.aarondenny.net/images/ronix/brokeone02.jpg

http://www.aarondenny.net/images/ronix/brokeone03.jpg

http://www.aarondenny.net/images/ronix/brokeone04.jpg
Old     (ryan27r)      Join Date: Oct 2006       05-28-2007, 5:39 PM Reply   
Why do you post this? Its just slandering a great board... call Ronix get it fixed.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-28-2007, 5:54 PM Reply   
This is in no way trying to bash you Aaron for posting this or directed at you...

It just seems like so many people are trying to bash Ronix on here

.... some boards break, some bindings rip... NOT just from one company

Maybe I should start taking pictures of all the other boards that I get in the shop for warranty replacements of Hyperlite, LF & CWB.....
Old     (cbk)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-28-2007, 6:13 PM Reply   
Me too Myke! From the looks and location of the cracks I'd be willing to bet that he caught a really hard edge. Call Ronix and they will replace it.

(Message edited by cbk on May 28, 2007)
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-28-2007, 6:20 PM Reply   
FYI.
Wakeboard boots have to allow your feet to come out. When they do not, inserts are going to rip out and plates are going to break.
Targeting a brand specifically? No. Targeting a style of boots specifically? Yes. The more they head towards the snowboard style of boot, the more ankle injuries and broken boards we will see.
Isn't Harf out with a bad ankle right now?
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       05-28-2007, 6:29 PM Reply   
if its such a great board why are these things breaking so much...i thought about buying one, or even trying one, but i want to keep my legs unbroken for one more summer...

we are seeing more post about ronix breaks than anything else on here...
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-28-2007, 6:39 PM Reply   
GettingOlder's theory makes a lot of sense, with the whole locked in boot trend we are seeing...
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-28-2007, 7:03 PM Reply   

quote:

we are seeing more post about ronix breaks than anything else on here...

These forums are totally a double-edged sword. On one hand you have the ability to exchange ideas and information and (most importantly) you can find out what the deal is with the quality of boards and bindings. The downfall of this is that if even as few as a half dozen people come online and show pics of their broken product, it's gonna turn off a LOT of people. So you have Ronix making hundreds or thousands of wakeboards or whatever and you have people basing their decision on what a few vocal people have said. They're a new company, so of course people are gonna wanna get online and post pics of their boards/bindings if/when something breaks. If this happened with HL or LF or any other company with an already established reputation, I'm sure the original poster would have just shaken his head warrantied it without even so much as thinking about posting pictures online. You only hear about the bad things with stuff like this, so the number of broken board posts probably gonna be slightly skewed from the actual amount of Ronix product breaking.

It also doesn't matter what trick you're throwin. If you catch an edge on a landing you're gonna go from 23.5mph to 0mph in a half second regardless of whether you're Danny Harf throwin a 1080 or a newbie trying to clear the wake.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-28-2007, 7:30 PM Reply   
Aaron... I had the same thing happen to my Covin. Ronix replaced it through my local board shop no problem, i was in with the broken and out with the new in less than 60 seconds...

To everyone else. RE-READ aarons post, you will see he did not "slander a great board"... or "bash..." anybody. He stated fact. I had the same thing happen to me, I posted the fact and then posted again to let everyone know how quickly Ronix replaced it. Whats the deal? do you all have your life savings invested in Ronix?
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-28-2007, 7:52 PM Reply   
hey "mjw (wkbrdr)"

my bro's '05 Hyperlite Era split. peeled. separated. they arent a new company, he wasnt throwin anything difficult, but it broke. they didnt replace it. he isnt vocal about it though so you havent heard about it. my '06 Hyperlite Byerly cracked big time when I caught an edge on something as simple as a butterslide and it ripped off the hammerhead thing. Is hyperlite a good company? of course. theyve been there from the begining. Ronix boards break because they are so rediculously light. and dont forget that not all ronix boards break, it only seems like it because no one has posted a thread like "my ronix isnt broken, how bout you?". and if you are so scarred of getting hurt, then stay in your house in a plastic bubble in the fetal position. its an "extreme sport" you will get hurt. some gear increases that risk, but only if you wear it certain ways.

(Message edited by hawk7 on May 28, 2007)
Old     (jetpilotz)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-28-2007, 9:29 PM Reply   
Well I, like mjw, don't plan on getting hurt, but it's not to say it won't happen. The only binding plate i've ever snapped like so was a pair of liquid force ultra suctions, and it was their first time out. Complete honest defect, company took care of it without problem, and i didn't start a post about it. I see that you guys are trying to defend ronix and stuff by somewhat throwing rocks at the people who post about their ronix one being busted, which is fine, but i think you guys are taking these threads a little too seriously.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-28-2007, 9:46 PM Reply   
I did that exact thing to my 05 Parks board, the whole insert broke out of the board and my claw sank to the bottom of the lake. A shop I didnt even buy the board from traded me for a new one. I ride the Ronix1 know and If it happens to this board Ill do the same thing. My Point is, It doesnt matter what board your riding, new company or old company s##t happens, let the warranty do its job.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-29-2007, 5:22 AM Reply   
Ive got to chime in here and say that that insert looks like a bad idea..its hard to tell from the pics but it looks like and individual insert that ripped out and from past years i remember companies changed over to inserts that were all one piece ,they looked like a train track and were glasses in as one oiece as a set and made it nearly impossible to rip out..

that insert on the bottom of the binding simply looks like a bad design..
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-29-2007, 5:42 AM Reply   
Look guys, I didn't post this to bash Ronix or slander their boards. I broke my board so I figured I'd share it with the online wakeboard community. I do believe the light weight and thin profile has something to do with these board breaking but who cares. That is what I like most about the ONE. I'm sure the board will be covered under warranty and I'll be out on a new Ronix ONE this weekend. I'll be sure to post my praise when Ronix replaces it quickly and efficiently.

I love my ONE and wouldn't have another board no matter how many I break. If you are thinking about buying a Ronix board don't let this discourage you from doing so. They make a great product, period.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-29-2007, 5:56 AM Reply   
I could be wrong Bill...But I think these inserts are like a train track one piece you described. When you look carefully at the top deck...you can see the outline of the insert. To me it looks like one piece. So this ripping out in this case, not good news. But like everyone is saying....get it replaced. Ronix will take care of them. I have the Frontier...and no one has had any troubles with that board so far (knock on wood,...haha..knock on wood..get it..the frontier looks like wood...sorry..that was lame). Either way, I have no worries...if something happens. I will get it replaced. And if something happens to that one...I will get it replaced. Ya know...getting older..might be on to something though. Maybe these closed toe bindings (being more efficient) are harder on the board and inserts. Being better at toe and heel side edging might put that much more demand on the connection between the board and boot. Just a thought. I know I don't want to come out of my boots..for sure. But maybe the connection needs to be way more heavy duty. Not just for Ronix....but all board companies that promote a closed toe(and possibly the heat molded technology). Just a thought....
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-29-2007, 7:27 AM Reply   
Aaron, the problem is with the lamination of the board itself, no the light weight and thin profile.

hyperlite boards are really heavy nomally and their cracking as you can see above
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-29-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
OK, well now I am not happy. I contacted Ronix and everything is covered under warranty. They told me to contact Wakeside regarding the return and replacement.

Now here is where I get pissed. Wakeside wants me to ship the board and bindings back to them at my cost. I don't have the original boxes so I guess they expect me to pay for packing along with shipping. They did offer to ship me boxes but I am on the opposite coast so I guess this is my option. Wait 7-8 days for a box, pack them up, pay to have it shipped back, wait 7-8 days for wakeside to receive it, wait for them to decide that is is defective, wait 7-8 days for my replacement. Looks like it is going to take a month to get a new board. I can't believe they will not drop ship to me like every other online business. I am done buying from Wakeside.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-29-2007, 10:56 AM Reply   
Dude...Aaron..that sucks. I would be frustrated too. I guess you might pay a few more dollars from a local pro shop. But this is where it comes in handy. Dang...I hope the same thing does not happen to me. I bought mine on line too.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-29-2007, 10:58 AM Reply   
Too bad you don't live closer. I would send you one of my board boxes. But at least Ronix is covering it still. Your not left in the cold.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-29-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
If I had a local pro shop that sold Ronix I would have bought it locally. Online was my only choice.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-29-2007, 11:44 AM Reply   
Video: http://www.aarondenny.net/images/ronix/backroll.wmv
Old    00wakesetter            05-29-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
Boards, bindings, bones,boats they alllll break. Get it fixed and keep on ripping!
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-29-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
Same thing happened to my Covin. Water Ski America (Dallas) had me in a brand new one the very next day. Buying local has its advantages... If you don't have a local shop, I have a buddy that has gotten above-and-beyond service (multiple times) from Grizzly Sports online.

One thing - my binding screws were coming loose and I had to tighten them on each set. I could see how a loose binding would have much more leverage to pop these things out (and they are all in one molded piece/track, but the metal inserts have to be implanted into a plastic/fiber material somehow.) Any one else getting loose screws on their bindings?

I put blue loc-tite on the screws when I put them on my new board and no more loosening.

BTW - after riding my old hyperlite, I realized how much I absolutely love the Covin. Great product. Quick responses from corporate. Great company. They're (Ronix) even working to get my old board (signed by Chad Sharpe) back to me for display (with the inserts drilled out).
Old     (ecoff12)      Join Date: Aug 2006       05-29-2007, 12:58 PM Reply   
aaron
initiate the rotation on the backroll a little later...this will ensure that you use the whole wake and get enough height. concentrate on popping up before begining the rotation. your looking good, you just need a little more height and youve got it...good job on pushing yourself
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-29-2007, 1:09 PM Reply   
^^^it also looks like you're throwing your chin to your chest instead of looking up and over your leading shoulder. you have more of a tucked, mexican backroll look.

Keep your chin out from your chest, turn your head and look up and over our leading shoulder. This should then press the back of your head into your trailing shoulder.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-29-2007, 3:58 PM Reply   
Thanks for the tips guys.

I feel I should update my post as my faith has been restored in Wakeside. What I ended up having to do is purchase a new ONE board and pair of bindings from Wakeside. They are going to put return shipping labels in with the new setup. Once I get my new board and bindings, I will pack up my broken ones and ship them back for a refund to my credit card. I like this much better because I get my setup a lot faster and I get a fresh pair of boots, when all I really needed was one base plate.

The bad part is the boots in size 10 are not in stock so I will have to wait 1-2 weeks for the boots to ship. I will use an old pair of Murray bindings in the meantime.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-29-2007, 5:05 PM Reply   
Same break happened on a friends One board. Ronix replaced the board, but there does seems to be a theme here. Funny how everyone here is rushing to defend Ronix but last year when the Liquid Force Watson bindings were ripping apart folks didn't take any offense in noticing a trend with the new Liquid Force bindings.
Old     (shaunm000)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-30-2007, 5:51 AM Reply   
Ive been riding the Ronix One for several weeks now. No breaks for me! I used to break boards like it was my job, and honestly ive been very pleased with the durability of the One. This probably was just a freak incident, and im sure the boys at Ronix would be more than happy to replace it for you.
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-30-2007, 6:01 AM Reply   
www.buywake.com
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-30-2007, 9:54 AM Reply   
i'm with you shaun, been riding mine 4 or 5 times a week for a month and a half, staying solid
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-31-2007, 10:11 AM Reply   
mucktoerider - You are exactly right about how the inserts are laid into the board and about the strain that these new closed toe boots put on the inserts. Having the inserts so far away from the boots creates a lot of leverage on the inserts, this is why slingshot went with the four hole pattern on their boots, and why you will see more companies in the future with the four hole pattern on their boards.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-31-2007, 7:30 PM Reply   
I heard that Ronix is going to a four hole pattern next year. Thanks JM, that was my guess on the subject. Hopefully my cells will not tear out of my frontier board. I have been working as an engineer at my job...I see things so differently now. I am suppose to be a design modeler...cutbacks has made me an engineer as well. I am ruined...hahaha
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-01-2007, 10:13 AM Reply   
I've taken the bindings apart and their current bindings do have the same base as the slingshot bindings. They are pretty much already set up for the 4 hole pattern.
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-01-2007, 10:19 AM Reply   
Myke...isnt the four hole pattern right under the boot though? Not spread out on the plastic wing? Never seen the Slingshot stuff in person (want too). But I thought from the description that the four holes are close together under the arch area of the boot...no wings. let me know...now I am curious!
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-01-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
I've only tried on and seen the slingshots once. If you look on the bottom side of the ronix boots it has a place to move the lever into once the boot is on the board, exactly the same as the slingshot boots.