Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (jmv)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-27-2007, 10:06 PM Reply   
I twisted my ankle a couple months ago and it comes back when I put too much pressure on it. I'm riding the '06 Watsons right now and there's no ankle support for it. Are there any other bindings that I should try?
Old     (jmunday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       04-27-2007, 10:18 PM Reply   
I did that a while back and i just use my ankle brace inside of my binding ( it feels funny at first but i like it now)
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-27-2007, 10:30 PM Reply   
John, check out the EVS ankle brace. Its really comfortable and prolly the best supporting ankle brace on the market.

http://www.evs-sports.com/products/product_details.asp?prodID=113

You cant go wrong with it.
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-27-2007, 11:31 PM Reply   
I was curious to which bindings this year have the best ankle support also. I've F'd up my ankles so many times and I just broke my foot. So I'm not able to ride for a while but once it starts feeling pretty good I want to get out there and at least carve around a little. But I have 04 Ultras right now and they are a bitch to get into even w/ out a broken foot. I can't imagine trying to sqeeze my feet into those. But yea I'm lookin for some bindings that are pretty easy to get into w/ good support. I like the style of the CWB hinge tech but they don't look like they have a lot of support... My neighbor has some and I tried them once last year but don't remember a lot how they felt. I want to try to stick with LF though for some reason..
Old     (tcluv85)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-28-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
Check out the Ronix One bindings. The guys on the boat are calling them snowboard boots becuase the come up so high. They also joke that your foot won't move inside there.
Old     (jmv)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-28-2007, 9:56 AM Reply   
Thanks Isaac, I'll probably get it.
It seems like Ronix is having an issue with their lace, I would wait till they fix that issue.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       04-28-2007, 10:07 AM Reply   
The CWB Fuse are the stiffest bindings I have ever put on, great ankle support.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-28-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
O'brien Analog is a has excellent ankle support. Also a pair of 06 Radons would be great! check out www.the-house.com they have some awesome deals on 06 O'brine radons
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-28-2007, 12:17 PM Reply   
I would second the CWB Fuse, it is a very stiff binding. Somebody can correct me if I am wrong, but I also remember Murray riding his brown Temet's after he had some ankle issues, this was last year when his closed toe bindings had come out. I have never ridden those bindings though.
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-28-2007, 1:35 PM Reply   
I rolled my ankle 2 years ago. Even today it still bothers me. Last year I had to wear ankle brace. This year I have CWB Zues bindings. For me it has excellent support. I don't have to be concerned about my ankle anymore. Guess I need a new excuse as to why I can't ride
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       04-28-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
I have really bad ankles and had real trouble finding new bindings. I thinks that easy to get into and great ankle support are mutually exclusive aspects of bindings.
I ended up with some old obriens that had good support. The few pro shop people I talked to said the new bindings were all going toward softer rubber.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-28-2007, 3:32 PM Reply   
everyone claims the 3ds's are stiff and will prevent ankle injury but i assure you this is not true, i really messed my ankle up in a pair because they put a lot of pressure on my ankle on a fall when they didnt flex enough, then i did it again snowboarding this year in really stiff boots
Old     (t707w)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-29-2007, 9:46 AM Reply   
You need to find the binding that fits your foot correctly. Personally I have a thin ankle and I purchased a pair of the Ronix cell boots and had them heat treated and when I was riding it seemed like my ankle was swimming in the binding. The ronix boot provided no ankle support for me. Just yesterday I purchased the 07 watson open toe and I could tell you that this boot provides much more ankle support for me. Some of the other things I didn't like about the ronix boots was that they do not have rollers for the laces, the laces are really thin, poor design for securing the laces, and the inner boot is velcroed in and would move in my boot when I was taking the board off or putting it on. In conclusion, I think that roxin does have good products but I think they need to pay a little more attention to detail. Maybe next year.
Old     (anodyne)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-29-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
I vote the Ronix Cells.

There are a lot of bindings with very good ankle support, but the Cells have a few one-up advantages: easiest to get into of the "good support" bindings, no pressure points, etc.

The CWB Zeus's are not nearly as stiff (softer even than the Watsons) though unbelievably easy to get into.

the CWB Fuses offer great ankle support, but are work to get into if you have a bad ankle

the LF Watson's are too low and too soft to offer good ankle support.

The LF Ultras have awesome support, but you will hate yourself for trying to pry your bad ankle in/out of them.

Hyperlite 3Ds's have really good ankle support but are more difficult to get into than the Cells.

The O'Brien Radons offer EXCELLENT ankle support (high top, tight wrap, stiff binding), but are more difficult to get into even than the 3Ds.

Summary. If I were you, these would be my choices:

solely ankle support: O'Brien Radon
easy entry & ankle support: Ronix Cell
Somewhere in between: Hyperlite 3DS
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       04-29-2007, 12:21 PM Reply   
This post copied from this thread:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/4387/441586.html?1177858967

My son has broken his right ankle once and sprained the same one twice. One of the sprains was a longer recovery than the break. It was a bad one. He uses the McDavid A101R brace inside a CWB Hinge tech binding. The hinge tech is key, because it is difficult to get a well braced foot into any other kind of binding. The A101R has nylon inserts that stiffen the brace. We always need to modify the inserts to custom fit them to his ankle. Since using this brace, no more ankle injuries, and BTW, he shreds.
Old     (jsweat)      Join Date: Apr 2007       04-29-2007, 7:24 PM Reply   
the ronix cell gets my vote
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       04-29-2007, 10:50 PM Reply   
I have ridden two ankle braces for about 10yrs now. I have just resigned myself to the fact that I cannot go without them. I use the mcdavid in a pair of stiff boots. They are not comfortable but they work. You can get away with any of the lace up ankle braces but stay away from the ones that have a lot of padding. It doesn't do well in the water. You may have trouble getting in and out with the braces but they can keep you riding.
A wakeboard sales person actually told me I didn't need stiff boots because the pros didn't need them so why would I.