Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old    jws            09-14-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
I am relocating from California to Charlotte next month. I was wondering what are the spots to ride near the area? What is the best local pro shop?
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-14-2005, 11:35 AM Reply   
Lake Norman flows into Mountain Island LAke, which flows into wylie. Mountain Island and Wylie are closest to metropolitan Charlotte but MT. Island is the best. I live on Norman but always prefer to ride at Mt. Island bc it has high hills, big trees, less crowded, smaller and calm waters on a windy day.
As for shops the Powersportscenter in cornelius just N. of charlotte about 20 minutes in your best bet. We are a Malibu Dealer who sells LF and HL with a great selection.

better hurry waters about to dip below 80
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-14-2005, 11:41 AM Reply   
Its unbeleivable the amount of people that are moving here to NC from Cali. Whats the deal?
I'm also guilty of doing the same thing.
NC is GREAT! You'll love it here.
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-14-2005, 11:41 AM Reply   
You have Lake Norman and Lake Wylie. Norman has some huge boats, so get out early to avoid the ocean effect. I bought some stuff from Maeghan Major who owns Trinity Board Shop on Trinity Street in Charlotte. www.trinityboardshop.com. Don't know of anyplace else. I moved to Winston-Salem. She usually has a booth with Mastercraft at the boat show in March at the Charlotte Convention Center.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-14-2005, 12:05 PM Reply   
PowerSportsCenter Malibu!!!!!!!
Old    jws            09-14-2005, 12:09 PM Reply   
I don't think our water temps ever hit eighty out here!!! Xgirl if you lived out here I am suprised you don't know. (Housing prices are through the roof!)Other then the boat show are there any other Wake event where people could meet local riders, or is just going out to the lakes the best way?
Old     (melanie)      Join Date: Apr 2001       09-14-2005, 12:24 PM Reply   
But why NC? Why not SC?
Check out www.endofropegang.com for events. Next one is at a heated lake, Hyco Lake. A bit away from Charlotte but worth the 2? hour drive. About 200 people camping, greeting, eating, drinking, and riding. Starts Oct. 21st. There are 2 annual parties at Hyco. One in the Spring and one in the Fall.
Lake Norman in Charlotte has one of my favorite competitons at Vinnis Bar & Grill. Its called "Wake The Lake". Ya missed this years but definately look for that one next Summer. www.southtownriders.com put that on. That would be a good time to meet the local riders.
Old    jws            09-14-2005, 12:52 PM Reply   
Hey Ringo I am all for who is throwing down the best deal! If I get the hook up I shop there, no deal, no buy! My wife and I have friends that live in Kannapolis, when we went to visit them we just really like the area and the people we met. 2 hours in California is not that long of drive. It takes almost that long to get the Delta from where I currently live. If the water is flat all day it is worth the drive... well if fuel cost every come back into the expensive range from the total abtuse!
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-14-2005, 1:57 PM Reply   
WE WILL hook u up
and a pull too if you desire!
Old    jws            09-14-2005, 2:38 PM Reply   
Then I will check you all out when I arrive. I will be in the Huntersville area.
Old     (premier135rider)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-14-2005, 3:11 PM Reply   
Thanks for the plug melanie! We ride primairly on the southside of Charlotte on Lake Wiley. Norman is decent for riding but is usually really windy. Wiley has a few more coves. At the moment though most of us are on the injured reserved list. But we should def get up and ride sometime. We will have shop right now but its in our offices right now, however we are about to move to a new location right off of 77. We only sell HL, JP and some other companies you can check out or site for the rest. But it should be open soon. Also, i don't know if you skate much but we should have the local skate park open before too long....
Old    jws            09-14-2005, 4:09 PM Reply   
I am sure I will miss anything exciting for this season as I will not be back in the area until after the 21st of Oct. but I would love to meet some great people to ride with.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-16-2005, 10:41 AM Reply   
Huntersville is like 5-10 min from our shop in cornelius
Old    jws            09-16-2005, 3:32 PM Reply   
I will come by and check it out after I get into town.
Old    wakelvr            09-16-2005, 3:40 PM Reply   
I am liking this post! My husband and I are thinking of moving to this area within the next five years. My cousin lives there and has nothing but wonderful things to say about the area. We are looking for lakefront property. Would any of you be able to point me in the right direction?
Old    wakegal02            09-16-2005, 8:31 PM Reply   
Unless you have a lot of luck or bucks, you may want to look up at the northern part of Lake Norman for affordable water front but if you are not moving for another 5yrs. then looking up north is probably best because the areas around Lake Norman are constantly growing and by the time you plan to move there will probably be some more things going on in that part of the lake.
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-18-2005, 6:57 AM Reply   
Lake Norman definitely- We live on Lake Wyley in south Charlotte so we always suggest Lake Norman. There actually three lakes in the area, Norman, Mountain Island and Wyley. They are all part of the Catawba River chain which Duke Power dammed up to make several lakes on the river.

It really depends on where you want to live. Wylie is much more affordable and usually closer to work area. Wylie and Mountain Island are smaller lakes. Norman offers much more entertainment on the lake as far as bars and dining. Again- the biggest factor is where you want to live and that is probably determined by where you will work.

As far as board shops go keep a look out a new high end board shop openeing in SC just over the border from Charlotte. (20 minutes from uptown). It is rght off the 77 and will have a professional staff that KNOWS wakeboarding. No snow boarding, no surfing and not about clothing styles even though they will have a full line of great clothing. It is about wakeboarding. Opening November this year.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-18-2005, 10:05 AM Reply   
its already open but its 20 miles North of charlotte off I-77 at exit 28.
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-18-2005, 5:12 PM Reply   
Not to take anything away from the Charlotte area, because it is great over there, but also think about Eastern NC. Small laid back coastal communities. I live inland a little bit and there are probably 10 different great freshwater spots within an hour or so.
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-19-2005, 4:32 AM Reply   
Thats why Falls Lake in Raleigh Rocks!No homes.No midweek traffic.Butta and Eagles.I would look at Raleigh also folks.Smaller and way cooler then Charlotte.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-19-2005, 8:04 AM Reply   
I dont think he was asking where he should move to but rather "I am getting transferred to charlotte" as in he has no choice!
Old    jws            09-19-2005, 9:46 AM Reply   
Charlotte is where I am moving without question although the suggestions are all well advised. Thanks but seriously ringo you all need to get some CWB!
Old     (ndh2o)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-19-2005, 9:52 AM Reply   
I was referring my info to Stefani. She said her & her hubby were thinking of relocating, possibly to NC.
Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-19-2005, 10:44 AM Reply   
I was just making a biased opinion.Sorry Ringo for shaking your tree.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-19-2005, 11:54 AM Reply   
lol I'm at work bored! no offense taken. Raleigh is set up way nicer than charlotte mainly because it is the capitol and recieves more funding. highways are way nicer and with so many schools in the area you know the supply of honeys runs deep. Anyone riden the pinehurst/sevenlakes area? I have once and it was a private lake that was a real treat to ride on.

C-dub hhhmmmmm I'll run it by my bosses but I would rather pick up a company like gator before cee-dub. just my rider driven preference.
Old    tpalmeri            09-19-2005, 1:30 PM Reply   
Ringo, I live in Pinehurst and there are three lakes that are private that allow gas powered boats. Always glass, little boat traffic even on weekends. Only downer is the number of riders in the community is not as large as Raleigh. Which I guess is a plus and minus depending on how you want to look at it.

When I get the chance to ride, I typically make the drive up to the Raleigh area.
Old     (wakeclt)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-19-2005, 5:44 PM Reply   
Stefani - If you're seriously considering property on or around the lakes, let me know...I work for a large custom homebuilder in the area that builds homes in most of the higher-end waterfront communities on Wylie, Norman, and a little on Mtn. Island. Even though you might not be considering one of the communities in which we build, I can provide some (slightly) non-biased information on the others...

Old     (fumanchoo)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-20-2005, 4:35 AM Reply   
This may all be a non issue if we dont get some rain soon.
Old     (wakebrdrnc)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-20-2005, 4:51 AM Reply   
Falls Lake Posse Rocks!