Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (wakecumberlandky)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-03-2011, 6:36 PM Reply   
http://www.engadget.com/2011/04/03/c...-app-hands-on/
Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-05-2011, 11:03 AM Reply   
I think the GoPro LCD Pack might be a more reliable set up....
Old     (ian_ashton)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-05-2011, 5:51 PM Reply   
Cool idea, but if you want live view holding a camera AND a phone to see the screen seems like it would be cumbersome. Id rather have a goPro and Backpack
Old     (Lakemiltonwake)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-06-2011, 3:48 PM Reply   
I have never played with the Contour so hold my opinion lightly. Despite it's laser and more user friendly controls, Here's why I don't think it outweighs GoPro.
-It is more expensive. $270 vs. $330 (includes waterproof case and mount.)
-Camera angle. Contour has a 135 degree shooting range while GoPro boasts a 170 degree angle.
-Colors. Now this one is tricky. I have seen a few comparison videos where the Hero looks better and a few that the Contour have won. But overal the Hero seemed to be the overall winner
Old     (watson_134_lf)      Join Date: Nov 2007       05-02-2011, 1:15 PM Reply   
I have the go pro LCD bakpac and its really nice. used it alot for snowboarding (doing follow cam shots) and it worked great.
its also really nice to be able to see what your shot will look like when you mount the camera somewhere, so you dont film all day and then realize that you had it pointing at the brim of your hat or something.
Old     (gotwake133)      Join Date: May 2010       05-05-2011, 1:45 PM Reply   
Anyone with a Contour try this out yet?
Old     (jonori)      Join Date: Oct 2001       05-07-2011, 3:58 PM Reply   
I own both the Contour and the GoPro Hero HD. I also am an authorized retailer for both brands.

I feel that they are obviously both great products. I think if you have to choose between the 2, it comes down to how you want to mount them. The contour is longer an skinnier, whereas the GoPro is short and stubby. Because the GoPro is short and stubby, it is able to be used with such mounts as the Chesty chest mount harness, wrist housing, head strap mount, helmet front mount, etc. These mounts would not work as well with the Contour because it is too long. However, the Contour excels when mounting to side or top of something like a helmet because it will stick out much less.

When it comes down to the actual footage of a GoPro vs ContourHD, I asked Norbi Vasko in another wakeworld post (He has made a ton of wake videos - Here is his Vimeo page -

I asked Norbi Do you prefer the GoPro HD Hero or the ConturHD and why. He stated,

"Contour HD all the way !
Lighter, way better mounts/adjustments, better light metering options, editing software works on mac/pc, better bit depth/resolution/sharpness settings, you can have 2 presets and with 1 button switch between the 2. the lens turn 145 deegress so you can fit the camera basically anywhere and get the sickest angles. it has laser pointers so u always know where ur shooting. better, smaller and lighter memory sticks. the actual shots are not distorted noob looking wide wide wide angles where you loose depth perception but instead a nice square ish frame with still a wide 135 degree angle point of view. I just love it and I could keep going all day but I gotta go export the latest video with more unseen contour footie. be on the look out. contour HDs gonna go great things. they already have the gps ones where you can exactly track youre route and more!

I also read a post from a mountain bike blog that Contour is working on a new Countour GPS. The article and pics are here

Bottom line, both brands are awesome. I really think it comes down to how you are going to mount it.

Please note - the Contour GPS does not have a waterproof housing available currently. They are working on it and it should be done soon.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-25-2011, 5:50 PM Reply   
I spoke with a trophy truck team recently that uses GoPro Hero. I asked id they have tried the contour and they said yes however, it cant handle the shock from the landings inside the truck like the Hero does. The Contour would flash out, or whatever you want to call it, every time thhe truck was jarred in any way