Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-19-2010, 8:39 AM Reply   
I'm fixing to get a new to me tow vehicle. I prefer the F-250 just because they are more available where I live and a little better priced than the Chevrolets.

I've never owned a diesel, so I'm looking for any insight on what to look for and what questions to ask. Are there any particular years I should avoid altogether? Any after market add ons I should be leary of, etc. I'm looking for something in the mid 20's or better so it will need to be a few years old. It will be pretty much my everyday vehicle and used to tow my boat and possible a fifth wheel camper at some point in the future.

All suggestions are appreciated.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-19-2010, 8:55 AM Reply   
I would look for an 02 F250/350 with the 7.3L. High milage is no big deal, if you can get one with around 100,000 and the prev owner kept up with oil changes, you will be golden.

I have an 02 F350 with an aFe stage 2 intake with proguard 7 filter, edge juice with attitude (I would get a DP tuner or Tony Wildman tune instead), 5" turbo back exhaust, and a High pressure oil crossover line, and the motor runs great. Can get in the low 20's mpg highway and 15+ city if i keep my foot out of it. a 250 would probly get better milage since it wont have the 4.10's in the rear end. Its my daily driver, and tows the 20V like a dream.

03-07 will have the 6.0L which is a good motor, will just take a little work and money to make it reliable.

Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-19-2010, 2:05 PM Reply   
I would all together avoid the 6.0.Sorry if that offends anyone but they have had major problems with them from day one.97 to 98 with the 7.3 turbo is considered one of the most reliable trucks ever made and the 99 to 03 comes in right behind that.Best thing to do is find a high quality older 7.3 and use your extra money to update the look.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-19-2010, 2:10 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by formfunction View Post
I would all together avoid the 6.0.Sorry if that offends anyone but they have had major problems with them from day one.97 to 98 with the 7.3 turbo is considered one of the most reliable trucks ever made and the 99 to 03 comes in right behind that.Best thing to do is find a high quality older 7.3 and use your extra money to update the look.
I wouldnt totally discount them, it just takes some work to get them solid. My buddies stock 6.0 beats my 7.3 and i have tunes intake exaust. they can make more power easier, just need to get a couple things taken care of before you put any tuning or mods into it. Like headstuds and EGR delete.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-19-2010, 4:28 PM Reply   
My vote is a 2009 6.4 with just a CAI.....I promise it won't throw any codes ! I haven't had any big issues with my truck thus far other than my recent DPF code from an aftermarket air intake. I haven't heard much about the newest engine

Chris
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-19-2010, 4:41 PM Reply   

my 2000, 250k miles, 2006 grill headlights, mirrors 2003 king ranch wheels and factory step , tunes, exhaust,k&n

Last edited by 882001; 07-19-2010 at 4:43 PM. Reason: why not
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-19-2010, 4:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by worththewake View Post
My vote is a 2009 6.4 with just a CAI.....I promise it won't throw any codes ! I haven't had any big issues with my truck thus far other than my recent DPF code from an aftermarket air intake. I haven't heard much about the newest engine

Chris
no way he could find a 6.4 for mid 20's tho!

btw, the new 6.7L is supposed to be an animal
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-19-2010, 4:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 882001 View Post
my 2000, 250k miles, 2006 grill headlights, mirrors 2003 king ranch wheels and factory step , tunes, exhaust,k&n
Im lookin to do the same thing to my front end except doing the bumper as well, might have the hook up for the whole 05 clip.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-19-2010, 4:45 PM Reply   
sweet, if i had the whole thing i woulda done the same, got the grill, headlights and mirrors for 400$ i had the super suck sport mirrors
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-19-2010, 5:34 PM Reply   
Are any of these worth looking into? I know nothing more about them than what is listed. Obviously, there is a point where mileage comes into play. I'm just trying to get an idea if any of these would be a good buy assuming everything checks out.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...TRUCKS&drive=4 wheel drive&default_sort=priceASC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceASC&address=36421&advanced=y&end_year=2002&doors=Four Door&transmission=Automatic&max_price=25000&cardist=196&standard=false

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...TRUCKS&drive=4 wheel drive&default_sort=priceASC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceASC&address=36421&advanced=y&end_year=2002&pager.offset=50&transmission=Automatic&doors=Four Door&max_price=25000&cardist=359&standard=false

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...TRUCKS&drive=4 wheel drive&default_sort=priceASC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceASC&address=36421&advanced=y&end_year=2002&pager.offset=0&transmission=Automatic&doors=Four Door&max_price=25000&cardist=141&standard=false
Old     (helinut)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-21-2010, 7:43 AM Reply   
I test drove the new 6.7 a few weeks ago. I haven't driven many of the diesels without having a job box or a large boom lift on the back. This 6.7 was amazing! It took off like a gas truck, was averaging 20+ on the freeway at 70 mph, and if you lifted the hood while it was running you couldn't tell it was a diesel by listening to it.

I'll be getting one in a few years. I figure around 2013 I'll start looking for a 2011 if they don't have any issues by then.
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-21-2010, 9:29 AM Reply   
Yes, the 6.7 is definetly impressive out of the box. One thing people need to be aware of is this new diesel will NOT put up with lack of maitenence. They now use a seperate fluid injected into the exhaust system to control emissions also. Pcm will shut the motor down if this fluid gets low or empty. Lot's of new stuff to be aware of on the new stuff, but I am excited also to see where they go and how the reliabilty is. First Ford built diesel engine in the F-series. No more Navistar/ international.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-21-2010, 10:14 AM Reply   
I want a 2011. They're so sick. Once my 6.0 hit's 100k I'm going shopping.

The urea injection isn't a big deal. It's looking like about a 10k service interval on it right now. It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the motor holds up. I don't think Ford can afford another 6.0 on it's record.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-21-2010, 10:34 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawshogg View Post
Yes, the 6.7 is definetly impressive out of the box. One thing people need to be aware of is this new diesel will NOT put up with lack of maitenence. They now use a seperate fluid injected into the exhaust system to control emissions also. Pcm will shut the motor down if this fluid gets low or empty. Lot's of new stuff to be aware of on the new stuff, but I am excited also to see where they go and how the reliabilty is. First Ford built diesel engine in the F-series. No more Navistar/ international.
Will the truck go into limp mode when the urea tanks empty? would suck to get stuck in the middle of no where with no urea....could pee in the tank and be on my way
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-21-2010, 10:46 AM Reply   
You will get a few warnings, and if they get ignored long enough it will advise you to pull over safely and go into limited power.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-21-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
The Motor starts warning you at 800 miles out so its really on you if you are on a trip and negelect to stock the urea tank. If the truck does go into "limp" mode you can stop and start it again to reset it for 50 miles worth of driving, I believe you can do this 2 or 3 times.

Dodge, escuse me Ram, likes to brag on how their new deisel truck doesn't need the urea. This is because their 2011 doesn't have a new motor nor do they have one in the works. They get the 2011 model year to run this deisel and thats it. I don't know where Ram is headed but it doesn't look good.

OP, if you can find a well taken care of 05-07 6.0 then you should have good luck with it, especially the 06-07's. Mid 20's might be tough though, at least in my area.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-21-2010, 2:24 PM Reply   
Urea. Wow. But how does the exhaust smell? LOL
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       07-21-2010, 7:14 PM Reply   
Hope I am not jinxing myself. I have a 2003 with the 6.0. It runs great and has the best sounding turbo of all the years. It pulls like a beast and it is all stock. It has 140000 proven miles.
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       07-21-2010, 11:00 PM Reply   
Trace,

I've got a 2011 and it has almost no smell at all. NOTHING compared to my 2006 6.0. (I wished it "smelled" more diesel...lol. It sure doesn't sound like a diesel. It sounds and feels like driving a Ford V10. This thing is quiet and I am getting 16 mpg to and from work.....18 if I go for a long highway drive. I've only got 1500 miles on it. Just got a coupon in the mail from Ford for a FREE urea fillup at the dealer. Woo Hoo.. Free Pee.

Wakemania,
I wouldn't totally rule out a 6.0. I had one of the later ones, and had pretty good luck with it. Took it to 90,000 with miminal problems before trade in. The dealer was selling my old 06 for 26,000, which sounds like your price range.

Yes, the 6.4's are going to be a little higher on the price for used, and they are getting crappier mileage. One thing though, here in Texas, they are GIVING away the '10's with the 6.4 They are taking 13,000 to 15,000 off the remaining 2010's just to move them off the lots. I am talking 4x4, Crew Cab Diesels in all trim levels. The day I traded mine in, they only had about 7 left at my dealer in June.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-22-2010, 12:45 AM Reply   
Ken Let us know how that 6.7L works out for you. I ran into a 2011 right before pictures were released, so it wasnt all disguised and talked to the guy about it for a little bit, and he told me he basically worships the new motor and that it will rival the reliability of the 7.3L. They were driving them cross country and stopped in flagstaff, I just happened to be skating by and see them while I was up there. Saw 4 of them.
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       07-22-2010, 8:39 AM Reply   
Joey,

Will do. One other thing I noticed right away. Pulling my 226 with the new truck feels like a feather compared to my 6.0. When you take off from a dead stop, you really don't feel the weight behind you. At highway speeds, the boat literally feels lighter with this truck...no kidding!! The engine is so smooth and powerful but not alot of grunt like the 7.3 and 6.0. I will also be pulling my 30 foot travel trailer with it, so I expect the experience to be the same. . The improvement to the interior in just 5 years are way cool also. Please hit me up with any specific questions about the 2011 if you have them

Ken
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-22-2010, 10:31 AM Reply   
Cool... Glad to hear good things about the 2011. All the new interior bells and whistles really are what have me eyeing that truck eventually. I love my truck, but was a bit disappointed with the interior of the Ford vs the Chevy.

I've heard the same thing about the 6.4's. I hear the mileage isn't the greatest.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-22-2010, 10:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenv View Post
Joey,

Will do. One other thing I noticed right away. Pulling my 226 with the new truck feels like a feather compared to my 6.0. When you take off from a dead stop, you really don't feel the weight behind you. At highway speeds, the boat literally feels lighter with this truck...no kidding!! The engine is so smooth and powerful but not alot of grunt like the 7.3 and 6.0. I will also be pulling my 30 foot travel trailer with it, so I expect the experience to be the same. . The improvement to the interior in just 5 years are way cool also. Please hit me up with any specific questions about the 2011 if you have them

Ken
thats awesome, I wanna drive one REAL bad haha. I know with im pulling with my 7.3L, for example up hill, the truck will feel like its dogging it but its actually when its towing at its best. just over 2K rpm it finds its sweet spot and just crawls regardless of what its towing, is the new truck like this?
Old     (bullydog)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-22-2010, 1:28 PM Reply   
I really love the 2011 250 but I just can't stand the lariate interior. Unless it has a purpose im not sure why they made it look the way they did on those middle inserts. The tan interior doesn't look as bad but the black leather looks horrible. Other then that its a great looking truck.

I really wish they wouldn't get rid of that diesel sound, it makes me think of when I use to work with my grandfather on the farm as a kid.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-22-2010, 1:51 PM Reply   
Quote:
thats awesome, I wanna drive one REAL bad haha. I know with im pulling with my 7.3L, for example up hill, the truck will feel like its dogging it but its actually when its towing at its best. just over 2K rpm it finds its sweet spot and just crawls regardless of what its towing,is the new truck like this?
No, it just keeps excelerating

Andrew, I'm with you on the inserts. I don't hate them but I don't love them either.

All in all the new interior and refinements is flat out sick though. These are full blown luxury rides that can tow your house down...pretty sick.
Old     (motogod77)      Join Date: Aug 2008       07-22-2010, 2:01 PM Reply   
Can't go wrong with the 7.3 - mine has 150K on it, tows the V232 like a dream with 37's

I have actually been considering upgrading to the 6.4 - a friend has one with a mild tune, DPF delete, and intake and averages 20MPG on 37's unloaded which is better than my 7.3 (4.56 gears) and the thing absoluteley hauls a**!

I test drove the 2011 6.7 - loved everything about it except the price tag (a new loaded F450 has a sticker of $65K) and with all of the emissions that all the new diesels have I'm leary of maintence and repair costs 100K miles down the road - time will only tell.
Attached Images

Old     (A7X_LSV_23)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-22-2010, 2:18 PM Reply   
So.... quick question, besides the price tag as mention earlier. What's stopping your from buying a Duramax over a Ford? Not gonna get over a cock fighting battle but, so far, I've got a few buddies and neighbors with cummins, fords, and one with the exact same truck as mine, 2006 Duramax with LBZ. Me and the other neighbor haven't touched ANYTHING mechanical other then upgrading the exhaust and intake and chipping em. The cummin's guy is on his third trans, finally went to Suncoast and ordered up what he should've a long time ago... The ford guy are on their 4th or 5th now in the past 130K he's owned it (bought new off the lot) . It is the 99 7.3L. Motor is strong but, problem have always been transmissions in Fords. But the Duramax's Live strong on stock parts! Sure might be a higher price tag but for the 3-4 transmissions your gonna end up putting in a Ford or Even an Auto Cummins... Why not do it right the first time and buy a Duramax. Just saying
Old     (A7X_LSV_23)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-22-2010, 2:41 PM Reply   
I'll add a quick pic here

Bought this about a month ago. 2006, 115K miles, $24k You can find them

Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-22-2010, 3:47 PM Reply   
my tranny is stock on my 2000 7.3 250k . its shifting weird looking at ats and bts trans replacements
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-22-2010, 4:07 PM Reply   
The newer ford transmissions are NOT problematic. When they switched to the Torqueshift in 03' they have been damn near flawless. The previous 4r100/E40D was a turd for sure, but not the newer stuff. Get the the times my man! I love how everyone trys to compare apples to oranges on here. It's comical.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-22-2010, 5:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawshogg View Post
The newer ford transmissions are NOT problematic. When they switched to the Torqueshift in 03' they have been damn near flawless. The previous 4r100/E40D was a turd for sure, but not the newer stuff. Get the the times my man! I love how everyone trys to compare apples to oranges on here. It's comical.
is the new 6.7L a 6 speed? Its got the power take off like the old rangerovers had right?
Old     (bawshogg)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-22-2010, 5:44 PM Reply   
Yup, the new "Torqueshift" is a six speed. The previous was also, but only used 5 gears at any givin time. The new guy does have a PTO option also,but they have had that option since 99 on the 4r100.
Old     (formfunction)      Join Date: Jun 2008       07-22-2010, 6:29 PM Reply   
The problem with the 4r100 is people line locking in four low with a hundred thousand miles on the tranny fluid.
Givin proper care they can last for decades like my truck with 171,000 on the original engine,tranny.
When they make a new truck that can do that I will buy one but untill then I have more faith in my dinosaur.
Just to clarify thats over a decade and almost 200k with only one hickup(idler pully at 170k)
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-22-2010, 7:05 PM Reply   
my idler colapsed at 220. i drove it to the autoparts store and was back on the road in an hour
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       07-22-2010, 7:46 PM Reply   
Andrew,

I haven't seen the black leather seats in person, so not sure if I'd like them. One new option though, and glad I went with it....is a Black Interior option on the King Ranch. What is does is put the regular King Ranch brown leather colored seats (only option) but lets you pick Tan OR Black for the trim. I went with the black and I think it looks terrific. REALLY cool looking. It gives you black on the sides of the console, Black door panels, black trim in other places around the dash and windows, and Black carpet and black floor mats with the KR logo. Even gives you black seat belts instead of Tan. The standard color still available is Tan, you have to option code the "Black King Ranch Interior" if you want it. I'll post a pic if I can. It is bad A*& looking. I'm not a real hard core techie (still have a 5 year old flip phone) but the Ford/Microsoft SYNC system is great. It will pop the weather radar for your area in 3 views in about 30 seconds.
Old     (nautique830)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-22-2010, 9:20 PM Reply   
1999 F250 V10
Old     (Khemosahbe)      Join Date: Jul 2010       07-22-2010, 11:03 PM Reply   
Bought a 2005 F250 Crew Cab 6.0 4x4 with 140k miles for $14.5k about 2 months ago and couldn't be happier. Got an SCT programmer with custom street and tow tunes and it has amazing power. I plan on doing the EGR delete and headstuds later this year as a preventative deal but no problems so far.
Old     (bullydog)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-22-2010, 11:19 PM Reply   
Yeah definitely post up a pic if you can, sounds pretty sweet looking.
Old     (bullydog)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-22-2010, 11:32 PM Reply   
Also just wondering, are the king ranch seats still the same brown leather color as the previous year models. Some of the pics I have looked at make the seats look more brownish orange. I really just need to go see one in person.
Old     (kenv)      Join Date: May 2002       07-23-2010, 7:50 AM Reply   
Andrew,

Yes, they have changed the shade of the color to a little more orangish. They are a softer leather also. Still feels pretty solid though. My last ones did very well with wear and tear. Clean-ups were easy having two kids terriorizing the back seats. KR leather conditioner every six months helped a little. So far, it does look like these new seats won't show the scratches and marks like the 2006 ones did. Those with KR seats will know what I mean by scratches. They really come to the surface when you condition.