Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chicksdigflips)      Join Date: Jul 2011       11-04-2011, 11:46 AM Reply   
Just wondering what people think of this color scheme.

Lets just do a rating
10 being the best 1 being the worst

Exterior 1-10
Interior 1-10
Overall 1-10
EPIC BOATS 1-10

MY THOUGHTS
Exterior Color Schemes 8
Interior -10
Overall 9
EPIC BOATS 10

MORE PICS AT
http://allboatsales.com/2012-epic-23v/
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-04-2011, 1:43 PM Reply   
Not my cup of tea for sure. The graphics are just plain bad. The design and the color. Gray doesn't go with brown and tan. I am actually not sure any colors go with those 2. Same coudl be said for the vinyl. Just doesn't fit. The vinyl needs to be All white with some sort of brown/tan accent or maybe a peanut butter vinyl. The black tower doesn't relaly match anythign else on the entire boat either.
Old     (dhill)      Join Date: Aug 2010       11-04-2011, 1:49 PM Reply   
overall i like the looks of an epic boat, but this one is just plain hideous. brett nails it above on the boat in the pics. i would call the graphics dull. removing them altogether would be my preference. exterior = 2, interior = 2, overall = 2.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-04-2011, 4:23 PM Reply   
Yep brett nails it with his opinion. Black tower makes no sense.

Exterior- 3
Interior- 1 (worst ive seen to date)
Overall- 2
Epic boats - 8.5
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-05-2011, 2:13 AM Reply   
- I like the flooring in the boat. I like the swim platform as well.

- The exterior looks looks awful. That color choice just sucks.

- Are those speakers in the transom? WHY??!!

- Look how poorly the vinyl fits. For that kind of money, I don't think asking for the vinyl to fit properly is too much to ask. Look how loose and wrinkled it is in the back. Not a single piece of vinyl in my 10 year old Malibu looks like that. Hell, the original interior in my 1989 Sea Ray I sold this year didn't have loose vinyl like that - WTF?
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-05-2011, 10:29 AM Reply   
Totally disgusting colors, reminds me of late 70's-early 80's GM products, they used the same gross color combos! Also agree the interior is totally out of synch color wise and that the vinyl looks shoddy because it's so loose. Graphics suck, no life in them at all.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-05-2011, 10:55 AM Reply   
TAN should be reserved as a skin color. Thats a waste of a nice boat.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       11-05-2011, 11:06 AM Reply   
Exterior 6
Interior 8
Overall 7
EPIC BOATS 7

Exterior - Nice styling overall. I don't like the color but I won't count that against it since it's only color and I'm sure there are several options. One thing I'd like to know is if it's a wrap or gel? If wrap, subtract another point or two. If gel, keep the same. I don't like wraps, they seem cheap... For a $60k+ boat it should have proper gel shot on it and maybe some decals for whatever logos or styling. I do not like the fake teak swim platform, it's ghetto... Use real teak for that price. I also do not care for the round windshield. I realize all new boats have this, but I really hate them and would be nice if someone offered a nice stylish square windshield. The transom speakers... They're ugly and I could see problems as the boat gets older with water and whatnot. I see it as an expensive maintenance item down the line.

Interior - I like it overall. The fake teak is ghetto, just like the swim platform. Use real teak or preferably carpet, maybe snap out would be nice for ease of cleaning. I'm not an interior guy and I realize how much skill goes into making upholstery and skins look nice, but I wouldn't expect that much loose vinyl on the corners in this price range. Not a deal breaker but disappointing and I find it unacceptable at this price point. Aside fmor that I think it's overall pretty nice. I like that they are staying with gauges and not going to some whiz-bang touchscreen.

Overall - Seems like a nice boat boat overall. I've never seen one, been in one, or rode behind one so I can't comment too much. I hear the wake is huge loaded down but very vertical and lippy. I like more of a big rampy wake, but for every guy that likes that there will be another that likes to hit a wall of water. To each his own. I like the idea behind the ballast system. Quick fill and drain, no pumps. I don't like that it seems (I've never used one) like it would be a pain to dial in ballast since you have to get on plane, open the valves, etc. With 4000 lbs ballast I doubt I would be riding completely full and the same can be said for most people I ride with. But I've never used a system like that so have no idea how easy or difficult it is to get it half full or whatever.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-05-2011, 10:16 PM Reply   
sweet boat bad colors, looks like the guy got inspiration from his morning cup of joe. i also dont dig the speakers in the transom

other wise very nice.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-06-2011, 4:42 AM Reply   
The mirror looks nice.I like the layout.But i don't care for that color combo.To each their own.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-06-2011, 12:29 PM Reply   
Not a fan at all, except for maybe the flooring. Obviously the gray interior and black tower just don't match the theme...but more than that, the transom speakers on the Epic really rub me wrong. Forget the fact that I would cringe every time the boat stopped and water came over the swim platform...but I don't want speakers built in to my transom! if you ever want to go a different direction with tower speakers or whatever, you're locked into having 8 speakers built into the mold of your transom.

My '02 BMW had a cell phone built into the center console. Sounded like a great idea at the time I'm sure, but do you think anybody wants a 10-year old cell phone hard-wired into their car? Not exactly the same, but similar. If you want to switch it out, you're pretty well locked into it.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       11-06-2011, 5:07 PM Reply   
OK, for those who have heard the Epic speakers how do they compare to say a set of Wetsounds?
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-06-2011, 6:34 PM Reply   
I am thinking that I would rather have my REV10s on my tower vs that array of speakers on my transom. What am I missing? Please clue me in.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       11-07-2011, 8:26 AM Reply   
First off I like the look of the EPIC, I think the transom mounted speakers are a great Idea that just needs a bit more tweaking.
GD what are you Missing??
Well if you can remove the weight of tower speakers from the tower and still provide sound to the rider or when chilling at the back of the boat IMO that's a huge
Win. Ill just list a few of the down sides of tower mounted speakers, the hang height of speakers, the weight. The running of wire threw the deck and up threw the tower to the speakers. Folding the tower is much easier with out speakers. Cleaning the tower is much easier with out speakers. Mounting a Bimini is much easier with out speakers. I could go on and on.

I think this Epic looks MUCH better then the Epic's I have seen them pushing. The lines on this boat are nice and I don't think they will get dated like the current boats. The Interior of the boat needs some re doing. But I think when this boat came out it was made to be a no frills interior built for the hard core wake boarder that didn’t care about all the bells and whistles but just wanted a huge wake. I think they got that part dialed but like I said the interior could use some updating. I would love to get a striped out one and start from scratch.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-07-2011, 8:32 AM Reply   
I think that once you hear the transom speakers, you will be sold. Advantages of transom speakers: no weight on the tower, no decrease in headroom, lower cost., more speakers in less space, passengers aren't blown out by the tower speaker volume and it allows you to still put speakers on the tower if you wish to do so. How much would 8 tower speakers cost? How many amps do you have to have to power those 8 tower speakers?

Don't knock it until you have heard it in person or rode behind a boat that has them. My buddy has 8 of the JL 7.7" speakers on his transom with 150w rms to each and it's crystal clear out at 75' for riding and for surfing, it's louder than any tower speakers that I have heard because you have your own concert right in front of you. No worries about water getting in, the speakers have gaskets on them and water getting in isn't an issue at all. I have a Tige and I wish it had this option, I really like it.

Now for the boat, if Nautique did this same exact color pattern and stuff, people would be saying how cool it is...LOL!
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-07-2011, 9:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmyb View Post
Now for the boat, if Nautique did this same exact color pattern and stuff, people would be saying how cool it is...LOL!
I disagree. Personally I would still think it is fugly as hell.

You and Grant bring up good points on the transom speakers although I still like tower speakers myself. Easier to upgrade, make the tower look better, some have swivels so you could point them forward for whatever reason, no holes cut in the transom of the boat, no lost room in the lockers and engine compartments, I wouldn't ever want to use a boat with transom speakers in salt water. They still take speakers and amps to run them so I dont' see much difference in cost there. Maybe the speakers would be slightly less because they don't have enclosures. Amps will cost the similar.
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       11-07-2011, 8:51 AM Reply   
I think thats a damn good looking boat. The only thing that I would change is the decal. Its just too much. I would leave "EPIC" there, but peel off everything else. Other than that, I think thats a nice boat. Something other than the norm isnt a bad thing
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-07-2011, 9:56 AM Reply   
The speakers don't take up any room in the lockers, if you look at the boat in person you will see that the boat was built for them. The lockers are pretty big in the Epic. You have to see/hear the boat in person to truly appreciate the transom audio, it's wonderful.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-08-2011, 2:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
The speakers don't take up any room in the lockers, if you look at the boat in person you will see that the boat was built for them. The lockers are pretty big in the Epic. You have to see/hear the boat in person to truly appreciate the transom audio, it's wonderful.
How the heck are those speakers going to hold up to water hitting the transom on a very regular basis? Not a smart place at all for speakers, even if they are "wateproof." Further, when water does get past them eventually (it will), that water goes straight into the boat.
Old     (dhill)      Join Date: Aug 2010       11-07-2011, 10:05 AM Reply   
couple of comments, though i can't testify to their longevity, i can tell you the transom speakers sound great, both while wakeboarding and surfing. still tons of room in the lockers (with epics industrial hinges). i know the nautique joke was just that, but you put that color scheme on a nautique and i will still say it's ugly. maybe even more so if there were whiteor black graphics with a silver tower.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       11-07-2011, 10:29 AM Reply   
Um... Grey and Chocolate milk for a boat...
Not my favourite. I like the wood look seadeck, but I think there is too much going on, overall.
Old     (alexair)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-08-2011, 7:03 AM Reply   
Really I'm not ready say something about. Only one look at vinyl work and I have got no any desire speak about. But EPIC has some good ideas in project..
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-08-2011, 7:56 AM Reply   
i think it looks sweet IMO i love big basic graphics. i know yall hate the colors but i like them alot i think that boat would look so sick on the water. the vinyl needs work but yea i think the boat looks super cool and original.

exterior 10
interior 5
overall 8.5
epic boats, honestly never ridden one but if the wake is like a wall like everyone says il go with a 10

i really feel like im going to get hated on for my opinion, but bring it! i still think the boat is sick and would love to have it
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       11-08-2011, 9:29 AM Reply   
I love it. We have something special in mind for our new Malibu. Can't wait for 2012!!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-08-2011, 2:53 PM Reply   
First off, they are marine grade speakers so they are meant to get wet. Next, if water does get past them, it will go into the bilge along with all of the other water that gets into the boat. Epic is on their 5th model year of boats, if this design didn't work, don't you think that they would get rid of it???? What happens when your tower speakers get wet? I guess what you are saying is that eventually the seals on the tower speakers will also fail and then the enclosure is going to fill full of water.

It's not like the transom speakers are being submerged into the water, they aren't even close. How much water do you think is going to get in there?

Last edited by timmyb; 11-08-2011 at 2:58 PM.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       11-08-2011, 3:51 PM Reply   
when we are loaded down either surfing or wakeboarding, water splashes all over the transome if the driver (my wife) stops , not slowes down, but either way with several different boats that I have had those speakers would get a wash down
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-08-2011, 4:00 PM Reply   
Do they get wet? Yes. Is it a problem? NO. You would have to pull a few of the speakers out and leave the empty holes and then repeatedly do immediate stops to even try and get enough water in those holes for there to be a problem. Taking a roller over the bow is a bigger concern when wakesurfing than the water hitting the speakers.

If you don't like them, that's one thing but to argue about water getting into the boat and being a problem because they are back there or water ruining a speaker that is rated to get wet is pretty silly.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-08-2011, 5:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Do they get wet? Yes. Is it a problem? NO. You would have to pull a few of the speakers out and leave the empty holes and then repeatedly do immediate stops to even try and get enough water in those holes for there to be a problem. Taking a roller over the bow is a bigger concern when wakesurfing than the water hitting the speakers.

If you don't like them, that's one thing but to argue about water getting into the boat and being a problem because they are back there or water ruining a speaker that is rated to get wet is pretty silly.
There is a big different between getting wet and having water forced upon them. There is a good amount of water pressure hitting those speakers - it's not just some rain water or water draining onto them.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-08-2011, 8:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
There is a big different between getting wet and having water forced upon them. There is a good amount of water pressure hitting those speakers - it's not just some rain water or water draining onto them.
I'd be more worried about thru-hulls for ballast systems or losing a drain plug than I would be about those speakers but hey, I have personal experience with the boat and how safe it really is so whatever I guess.
Old     (Deeznutz)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-08-2011, 4:34 PM Reply   
Between the fake wood look and the square back with all the speakers built in...OMG!! Normally I'm totally cool with anything retro, but this just doesn't look cool. It looks like someone built it in their garage. I think it would have been interesting if the design was modern all around, but they used a more fun color combo from the 70's, like brown and baby blue with some orange accessory accents maybe...BUT...if someone was to want to give it to me for free, of course I would take it!! For anyone that's into motocross, look at Troy Lee Designs. They have awesome riding gear that is in colors from the 70's that catches the essence of that era.
Old     (Eppies07epic)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-08-2011, 10:20 PM Reply   
I've personally seen this boat, and i loved it! I agree the colors are non traditional.....COOL! Epic boats are a non traditional looking wake boat, I guess that is why I own one, I like to be different. I guess that goes for the transom speakers too.....COOL! You can order these boats with no speakers in the transom to eight if you want. I'm the guy Timmy b. is referring to. I have JL M770-CCX-SG-WH in my transom (marine 7.7 cockpit coaxial sport grill white). I am happy with my JL's. I have been abusing them for three years and not ONE problem! I believe JL is a has a good product and it has proven good so far. Water coming in from the water hitting the back? Very little, get way more from the kids getting in from the water. Like Tim said, That's why we have bilge pumps right?! The performance of eight speakers (JL) on the transom? At my lake I've been next to boats with Wet sounds three some, Wet sounds rev eights (two pair), NVS, and Skylon Rubicon. The sound from my boat is for sure not the same. If you like the high pitch, ear piercing, tinny sound you wouldn't like the sound my boat puts out. I personally like the sound of the Wet Sound rev series because they are a more FULL sound, and that is what my boat sounds like FULL. As far as how loud it is? IN MY OPINION, my boat was louder than, and cleaner than my friends. And as far as "FUGLY" goes I think anything more than four tower speakers is "FUGLY"! And actually four is pushing it. Ten inch tower speakers (NVS) is dumb in my opinion too! So nitrousbird i guess it is all what pleases the owner right? And yes every brand has boats, color schemes, and stupid ideas right?! Well now thinking about it..... right on for ugly colors/boats, and dumb ideas! If we didn't have these we would all be driving the same exact thing right?
Anyway thought I'd throw my two cents in being I have personal experience with the boat, and the transom speakers.
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       11-09-2011, 6:44 AM Reply   
For as long as Epic has been making these boats with speakers in the transom,don't you think if they were a problem mounted there they would have stopped doing it by now?
Old     (fuzzball147)      Join Date: Apr 2010       11-09-2011, 8:36 AM Reply   
My '08 Epic gets washed over the back whenever we surf and there is NO problem with the speakers at all. They are marine grade aluminum cone speakers that are designed to get wet. I have more storage in my lockers than any other boat I've seen and you will not find one drop of water coming through the transom, I've looked. The newer Epics are even better and tighter with the new setup. It is also very nice to be able to adjust the sound to the back for the riders and hold a conversation in the cockpit without screaming. As for comparison to the Wetsounds, starting in '11, the speakers ARE ALL Wetsounds. I don't personally like the color combo, but Epic makes on hell of a boat.
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       12-18-2011, 7:35 PM Reply   
here's a better look at the colors - got mine a few days ago - it seems like the dark part of the upholstery looks like grey depending on the light but it's actually brown and fits the boat
Attached Images

Old     (Guitarcrazy)      Join Date: Dec 2011       12-25-2011, 12:23 PM Reply   
Hey Nic, any more shots of your new boat? I am thinking of buying one, they are really starting to grow on me. I love the idea of switching sides for surfing in 90 seconds versus 10 to 15 minutes on my Centurion. Is the stereo head in the glove box? I have the Kenwood KMR-700U in my Centurion Elite, with the optional remote. I understand this is the same head unit they are using in the Epics. The head isn't in the glove box though. I am not sure I like having to open the glove box to change the song, but small issue in the long run. Anything you noticed after you bought it that you wish you knew beforehand? Thanks. J
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-25-2011, 7:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_butt View Post
here's a better look at the colors - got mine a few days ago - it seems like the dark part of the upholstery looks like grey depending on the light but it's actually brown and fits the boat
You later said you bought the boat sight unseen....Because in your pictures the tan and gray still don't match to me. Did the sales guy on the phone tell you it really was brown instead of gray?
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       12-25-2011, 5:12 PM Reply   
J. Will post more pictures ... Head unit is the 440 - no remote though. Was hoping to get the aquatic but b/c demo boat I had to take what was in the glove box ... So will have to figure out a wired remote to put somewhere but volume booster box comes first. No don't think I'm missing something in particular this is my 2nd Epic and the fast fill is one sweet thing but I also got the surf trim tabs which gives me between 500 - 800 lbs. extra - not sure how much it is because I bought the boat unseen and haven't been on the water yet ... Will be a while for me up in MN ... But if you talk once to Chad from cutting edge in NM ... He's a cool guy and it may sound odd to buy a boat at a dealer in NM to bring it from TX to MN but the deal was well worth it. Maybe one thing: don't have the new 8.2l engine with cat yet ... So talking to Larry from FAE to get fresh air exhaust ... So all in all ... LED speaker rings for more blue lighting ... Tower LED and underwater LED plus booster volume and FAE ... Maybe 1200 to spend to have a really sweet ride ;-)
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       12-25-2011, 5:25 PM Reply   
I like them... but the bow... is way to damn wide looks like it ran into something....
Old     (hockeysk8er222)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-25-2011, 6:09 PM Reply   
Can you fit the FAE on there with the surf tabs?
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-26-2011, 7:36 AM Reply   
What is the purpose of the "grab rails" near the floor in the bow? Looks like those would be super inconvenient, a trip hazard and uncomfortable to sit with legs down while hanging out in the boat. Congrats on your new ride!!

Last edited by wakekat15; 12-26-2011 at 7:36 AM. Reason: sp
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-26-2011, 9:23 AM Reply   
It's for resting a bow filler cushion.
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       12-27-2011, 11:00 AM Reply   
@hockeysk8er222: Talking to Larry Mann from FAE - he has the measurements and pics and he didn't think that this would be an issue as the pipes are the same diameter as the exhaust outlets and don't interfere with the wakeplate normally either - so I would assume the surf trim tabs aren't afftected

@daveronix199: plenty room for seating - may just appear that bad because the white plastic cover isn't fully pulled away

@talltigeguy: The pictures I posted show it slightly better that it is brown - but Chad from cuttingedge said that it looks cool and the boat colors do match. I was afraid at first but then said - wth - sweet deal. When I finally pulled the travel wrap off - it was like 'sweet - that is looking cool' so for sure change of heart here - had preferred a black one originally ;-)

@wakekat15/holdsworth: Scott Robinson who posted the first pics of a 2011 Epic was asked back then the same question and someone replied that this is now a coast guard requirement so people sitting in the bow can hold on to something? I honestly don't know but what I do know is that Epic is usually not putting stuff into or mount to their boats if it doesn't serve a purpose or is a requirement. Personally I don't really care - people may bang their shin - what do I care - I'm driving or riding anyway ;-)
Old     (holdsworth)      Join Date: Jan 2010       12-27-2011, 4:04 PM Reply   
That may be true as well since there's no top rail. We have a bow filler cushion in ours, not sure pre-2012's have one. As I was told, this was a brand new option and we have one of the few.
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       12-28-2011, 8:31 AM Reply   
True Nick.....I believe it to be requirement now.
Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       12-28-2011, 5:44 PM Reply   
Adam, mind posting a picture once of your bow filler cushion?
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-29-2011, 3:29 PM Reply   
My buddy had his '07 updated to have the bow cushion too.
Old     (Eppies07epic)      Join Date: Jun 2011       12-29-2011, 9:51 PM Reply   
The grab rails are not inconvenient or uncomfortable what so ever. I had them installed on my boat. They actually get used for grab rails too. And yes the bow cushion does rest on them. I have a pic but haven't figured out how to post pics yet. I am not very good with computers sorry. timmyb i can use a little help man.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-30-2011, 7:14 AM Reply   
Here's a pic of the bow filler cushion and the new wind screen on Eppie's '07:
Attached Images

Old     (monkey_butt)      Join Date: Sep 2011 Location: Twin Cities       12-30-2011, 10:14 AM Reply   
Oh forgot the resting wind dam instead of using rails .. thx for reminding me ... Gotta make the template except you still have it so I could use yours?
Old     (ScottR)      Join Date: Aug 2011       01-03-2012, 11:01 AM Reply   
Timmy, VERY WELL DONE. I need to do that on mine. Very cool!
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-03-2012, 2:13 PM Reply   
Not my boat, it's Eppie's boat, I just ride behind it and post pics for him