Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old    brianthomas            09-04-2003, 9:02 AM Reply   
Do you think his board would be so popular. It's just a question I oose to you. Back in the day everyone would buy jordans, why? Because Jordan was the best basketball player in the sport. His shoes were cool but you know deep down that you bought them because you wanted to... well I guess be like Mike . I know the Parks board is great, I am not saying its not, but don't you think the two go hand in hand, best boarder in the industry - most popular board in the industry. It swept the best board category.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-04-2003, 9:10 AM Reply   
From the sound of people's opinions the parks board is too advanced for the average rider. So to answer your question, no. If he was an average pro I don't think it would sell nearly as much.
Old    dtrachsel            09-04-2003, 9:41 AM Reply   
I agree blabel, and I ride a Parks board.
Old     (habersham)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-04-2003, 9:49 AM Reply   
The Parks board is a very hard board to ride for most people. He designed it for himself and not the average to begineer riders who are buying the boards. His model board was the best selling board in 2003 for Hyperlite. If it wasn't Parks' board I think it wouldn't have been the best selling board.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-04-2003, 10:15 AM Reply   
It seems like everyone is looking to get a Parks this year. I can believe that it is by far the best selling board this year. To answer your question: NO. I don' think the board would be as popular as it is if it didn't have Parks' name on it. I'll admit it looks cool, but I rode one and I didn't really care for it that much. It wasn't horrible, just not my style.
Old    jakeman            09-04-2003, 11:03 AM Reply   
Yo go check out my underground parks video
taped 8-30-03 @ OWC in Orlando

www.420EMPIRE.com

throws a 720 single wake

late/jake
Old    wakeboardjo            09-04-2003, 11:24 AM Reply   
I rode a Parks a few weeks ago, borrowed a buddy's board to see what it feels like. I was VERY surprised at just how responsive the board is. I loved how it cut for me, unfortunately it wasn't smooth enough for me to get a good test of the pop. And it definitely isn't for average rider's being that aggressive
Old    norcal_99            09-04-2003, 11:53 AM Reply   
I don't think the Parks board makes Parks ride any better. I bet he can kill it on any board, but to answer your question, YES people buy the Parks board thinking they’ll have an edge because they have a Parks board.

That’s the psychology of marketing.
Old     (board4food1)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-04-2003, 12:17 PM Reply   
totaly random jakeman and off the subject, but the video... that was neat.

I didn't like the parks board for how it carves. I love the pop though. I think for the begginer/average rider buying a board, the Parks name is 75% of the sale. I think if it had a middle fin, I would have loved it. I guess I'm just used to my LF Trip.
Old    brianthomas            09-04-2003, 12:23 PM Reply   
I feel the same as all of you. Just goes to show you how much marketing and name affect peoples buying decisions.

(Message edited by brianthomas on September 04, 2003)
Old    deltahoosier            09-04-2003, 12:57 PM Reply   
Guys.... I usually do not come off this strong, but, you are full of it.

I bought the parks board because I needed a bigger, faster board with good pop off the wake. I also wanted something that was very loose when not on edge. I found it in that board.

The fact it was technically innovative was the reason I tried it. The nose and fin placement made me want to try it. Then during the test drive, I determined that it had the qualities I was looking for, so, I bought it. I do not own parks bindings because I did not like them when I tried them. I do admit that some people by things due to the name, but, to paint everyone with that brush and basically act like someone is a tool for buying something, that you believe was bought on name recognition only, is a little intellectually dishonest. So, if I were to read between the lines, you would think I am a poser if you saw me roll up in my parks board?

For the record, I can care less about pro riders or pro anyone. They do not pay my check or get mad when I have a bad day at work. I bet I can only pick out 5 maybe 6 pro riders and most of that group is because I went to the Malibu open and saw a group of pros and started to think who was who in my instructional videos. If I was to see them walking down the street, I may recognize two of them outside of the wakeboarding setting.

Old    leslisa            09-04-2003, 1:04 PM Reply   
Names may carry alot of weight, and although I don't buy things celebrities endorse, I know alot of people do. I ride a Belmont 131. I demoed it and loved it before I ever realized it was Shaun Murray's board.
Old    brianthomas            09-04-2003, 1:50 PM Reply   
I am not saying that everyone buys it due to the fact that it's Parks model, just that it is an extreme boost to its popularity because of Parks domination lately.
Old    brianthomas            09-04-2003, 1:51 PM Reply   
This was all spurred when I saw that the Parks board swept all three placments for best board, leaving no room for boards like the substance, absolute...etc
Old    deltahoosier            09-04-2003, 2:17 PM Reply   
Actually, If CWB made their Absolute a little longer, I may be inclined to ride that board.
Old    norcal_99            09-04-2003, 3:14 PM Reply   
"I do admit that some people by things due to the name, but, to paint everyone with that brush and basically act like someone is a tool for buying something, that you believe was bought on name recognition only, is a little intellectually dishonest. "

Rod, I don't think anyone said everyone.

Old    mike_mike            09-04-2003, 3:31 PM Reply   
i bought the parks board, bindings, handle and I have a poster shirt and Almost all the videos he is in, he is awesome I always brag at school about it and everything I have that is his pro model. I wish he came out with a boat
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-04-2003, 3:32 PM Reply   
I have to say that people need to get over caring so much about what other people are buying. Who cares if someone has a Hyperlite or a Double-Up. Who cares if the board is endorsed by a pro, or has pretty graphics, etc. Who even cares why people buy the things they do. Sure, some boards might not suit people the best, if they buy them with the wrong intentions. However, as long as they are having fun who cares. I have a parks board, and I surely did not buy it because i like parks. I appreciate his riding but i don't care for the guy. I simply bought it becuse I was curious on how it rode compared to my HL project, and i had someone offering good money for the project. Being an intermediate rider, I can do all of my tricks on pretty much any board you put me on. I do notice different characteristics, and would even switch boards I ride on different days to reflect my mood.

To sum things up, stop trying to be a "core poser" and caring so much about what other people buy/ride. Go out, have fun, ride hard. Go big, Do spins, inverts, w2w, whatever makes you happy.
Old    norcal_99            09-04-2003, 3:37 PM Reply   
People should also stop caring about others caring so much.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-04-2003, 3:43 PM Reply   
ooh rene, you are so right! damn i am a hypocrite.
Old    lakesideluver            09-04-2003, 4:16 PM Reply   
shouldnt you all just shut up and ride?
Old    deltahoosier            09-04-2003, 4:19 PM Reply   
True that Rene. Maybe no one said everyone; but, I would be disappointed if some tried to make me out to be poser before I ever met them based on the board I ride. I would at least appreciate the chance to ride with them first and prove that I am a poser instead of being thought a poser.
Old    norcal_99            09-04-2003, 5:19 PM Reply   
Uh Murphy, Shouldn't you be running around with a cheese head on screaming "Go Packers!" this time of year.

Rod, For the record, `cause I'm an American. I like Chevy `cause it's the "Heartbeat of America" I like the Dallas Cowboys `cause they're "America's Team" and I like Kelly Clarkston `cause she's the "American Idol"

Old     (habersham)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-04-2003, 9:28 PM Reply   
Mike shouldn't you stop being a and post something that goes along with the topic.
Old    lakesideluver            09-05-2003, 8:27 AM Reply   
lol sorry folks, i just think id rather ride the parks then talk about the parks, calm down.....i was making a point that maybe we all need to hit a set.....too much time to think ya know?
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-05-2003, 8:48 AM Reply   
Ya, summer is winding down so get out there and get it while the gettins good is what I always say.

I ride the Parks and love it. He's one of my favorite riders ever since he was a 14 yr. old busting up the big boys in the mid 90's.
BUT, I bought the board cause I liked the ride not just cause I like the guy who endorses it or that it looks good (I actually hated the graphics when it first came out).
However, I do know folks who bought it for other reasons and made a mistake. For crying out loud just go look at the used board classifieds and count em'.
Old    brianthomas            09-05-2003, 1:59 PM Reply   
Tim I was not calling you or anyone a poser. You clearly missed the point of this and went of ranting about something that I wasn't trying to say
Old    dogbite            09-06-2003, 6:11 PM Reply   
I heard that Parks can snowboard better that he can wakeboard. is that true
Old    xtremebordgurl            09-06-2003, 8:16 PM Reply   
If that were true I think he'd have at least some snowboard sponsors.... I bet he's good but I doubt he is a better snowboarder.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-08-2003, 7:12 AM Reply   
Parks, Harf and many of the other pro riders can snowboard just like they grew up on the mountain, but to say he could snow better than wake - please - you're talking about the #1 wakeboarder in the world right now and maybe the best ever (along with Shapiro of course).