Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (corbin)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-11-2010, 6:35 PM Reply   
Should I worry about this? I'm not sure if they go all the way through, or how they happened. I haven't done anything to the boat that could have caused this. How do I go about fixing these cracks?
Attached Images

Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-11-2010, 6:48 PM Reply   
It's just a gel coat crack, not a structural problem purely cosmetic. You probably have some at your tower mounts too
Old     (corbin)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-11-2010, 7:33 PM Reply   
what should I do to keep it from spreading? Epoxy?
Old     (brichter14)      Join Date: Jul 2010       09-11-2010, 8:57 PM Reply   
not sure, those things are kind of inevitable in boats that are actually used. You will see pristine boats that people have because they just sit around and drink on the lake or tube or something. But generally people who wakeboard alot or tie up alot will get gel coat cracks at the points where the tower mounts or around the cleats.

Just deal with it IMO, if you really hate it you can pay to get it redone, probably a few hundred bucks. They wont spread very far.
Old     (imx)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-11-2010, 9:01 PM Reply   
Had to double check I was on the right forum when I saw the title, you wouldn't want to be dyslexic typing that.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       09-12-2010, 9:45 AM Reply   
It looks like it comes down from where the screw/bolt go through the gelcoat/hull. This is somewhat normal. I would get in habit of using your rear lift rings and front lift ring for tying your boat up. I would only use your cleats for hanging fenders and maybe for a spring line.
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       09-12-2010, 12:39 PM Reply   
You actually have two cracks. One at the screw hole and one coming off the tip.

As frustrating as spider cracks are they seem to be a reality. I would keep an eye on it and see if it spreads. If it does, then there is continued stress on the area starting the crack.

You could remove the cleat, clean up the holes to releave the stress and fix the gelcoat cracks. The biggest problem is that it is going through multiple colors making it tougher to fix.
Old    mojo            09-12-2010, 2:26 PM Reply   
i don't know what the comment "boats that are used this happens" comes from. none on my 05. what brand boat is that and where is the cleat located
Old     (corbin)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-12-2010, 5:37 PM Reply   
Yup. Two cracks. I'll keep an eye on them to see if they spread. This is an 2001 Sanger. I use the cleats to tie mooring lines to but only briefly while the trailer is being brought down to the ramp. There was one time when we boated to a camp site and tied the boat off overnight. I suppose there could have been some water movement through the night that caused lines to come tight and put stress on the cleats but I think I would have noticed them earlier because that was early this spring. Who knows.

Are there certain gel coat repair products out there that are recommended? What about procedures? I know that I should drill out the end of the crack and fill the hole but I'm not sure how big of a drill bit is needed or how deep to drill or even what to fill it with...

Thanks for all of the help. I'm glad no one seems to consider this a serious problem
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       09-12-2010, 8:10 PM Reply   
Spectrum color is a well regarded gelcoat color matcher. They can come very close if not be perfect. I have looked into the process, but can't give you an specific advice.