Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (dezzy)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-09-2010, 8:00 AM Reply   
Hi- I am looking for some recommendations for a new wakeboard for my 13 year old daughter who hopes to compete someday. She is an advanced beginner and is progressing pretty quickly but she is using an old wakeboard that is really too big for her. She is 5'4" and weighs about 120lbs. I've been reading up on boards online and on this forum but I'm still really confused and don't want to buy a board she'll outgrow quickly. We have tried to find a place to demo some boards but there isn't anything in our area. Any advice will be much appreciated!
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-09-2010, 9:40 AM Reply   
Hey Dezzy,

What does she ride now (make/model/size)? What does she "like" and "not like" about it? Does she like coming in to the wake fast, or more of a slow progressive cut? What part of the country are you in? (Maybe I know someone nearby that could help expose her to different boards/riding styles.) I would think a 132cm to 135cm would avoid her growing out of them without them being too big in the meantime.

Let us know on the questions above & maybe we can provide better direction...
Old     (dezzy)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-09-2010, 1:11 PM Reply   
Hey Kat,

She rides an old 136 Obrien Ambush. I know she says it's too heavy-she used a smaller board last summer during a lesson and was able to go wake to wake which she hasn't been able to do with this board. She is a fairly aggressive rider and likes to go fast across the wake. We are in lower New England. I appreciate the input.
Old     (TarahMik)      Join Date: May 2010       06-09-2010, 1:51 PM Reply   
I would definitely put her on the O'Brien Vixen 132. The board is very user friendly & stable, but it edges well (not a slow board). It's an advanced model though, so it will accommodate her riding as she gets better & better.
I'm not sure what dealers are near you but I know they have really good deals on overtons.com
Old     (amywake)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-10-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
I am roughly the same size as your daughter (1 inch taller ), and have always been quite comfortable on a 134. I prefer LF, started with an Angel (very easy to learn/progress on) and have been on a Melissa Limited for a few years. With her weight, I would suggest no smaller than a 134. Wakeboards are based on weight not height. Good luck!
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-11-2010, 7:46 AM Reply   
Dez,

Sounds like a 132cm (52") to 135cm (53") should be fine. I'm closer to 140 lbs and have always ridden a 132. I still managed to get respectable air despite many people saying that you need a bigger board at that weight. I am planning to try a 135 cm in the future just to see if the landings are softer, but the 137 I tried seemed like a tank when trying to olie.

My personal preferences for a 3 Stage Rocker board are: Byerly Monarch (52"), Wakeology Stoke 132cm & soon to try out the O'brien Skyla 135cm. I'm not very familiar with the continuous rocker boards, but hear lots of good things about the Hyperlite Syn, Liquid Force Melissa & Ronix Faith Hope Love Hybrid.

Lastly - don't foget to include some quality bindings! The best board in the world can be very hard to ride with poor quality bindings.
Old     (dezzy)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-11-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the responses-we've been considering both the Ronix FHLand the Liquid Force Melissa and will probably choose between one of those. Now bindings we haven't begun to consider
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-11-2010, 11:58 AM Reply   
It would be hard to beat this deal (only avail today) if you are serious about the Melissa....

http://www.dealadaywake.com/
Old     (dezzy)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-13-2010, 3:45 PM Reply   
Kat, Thanks for the tip on the LF Melissa. I did order it-it was a good deal!
Old     (dezzy)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-17-2010, 7:01 AM Reply   
Just thought I'd share my experience with trying to purchase the 2009 LF Melissa. Ordered it on dealadaywake.com on Friday, my credit card was charged on Saturday, received a phone call on Tuesday that the board was not available and that I would get a credit, still waiting for the credit. Yesterday, found the board again on rdcshop.com for $30 cheaper than dealadaywake.com. Placed the order and it went through. Received a phone call later in the evening saying it wasn't available.

Arggh, I guess it just wasn't meant to be!
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-17-2010, 6:03 PM Reply   
disappointing!! don't give up. maybe have a look on ebay?
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-17-2010, 6:27 PM Reply   
have you tried evogear.com they usually have accurate stock count.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-17-2010, 8:08 PM Reply   
saw a 09 melissa 137 on boardco.com i don't know what size your looking for.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-17-2010, 8:11 PM Reply   
oops! it was on sale for 224.50 w/free shipping in usa don't know where your from .just trying to help.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-18-2010, 5:09 AM Reply   
Wow....sorry to hear that Dez!! I've ordered many things from that site and never had an issue! I feel bad for making the recommendation!
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-18-2010, 5:22 AM Reply   
Obviously, I know nothing about this person, but....

http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/spo/1796809154.html
Old     (dezzy)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-18-2010, 6:10 PM Reply   
Kat -although that craigslist post is deleted I think that's the one I bought last night-it was from dallas and it was shipped today-I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-18-2010, 6:22 PM Reply   
Dez - Did you get your money back from Dealadaywake? I'm hoping the Dallas thing works out 'cause you get an even better deal!
Old     (austindodson)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-18-2010, 6:50 PM Reply   
Go for OBRIEN SKYLA http://store.obrien.com/products/pro...46405.0.0.0.0?

obrien wont let you down..
Old     (dezzy)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-22-2010, 7:40 AM Reply   
Kat- I called them yesterday and they sent an email saying the credit will be issued but it hasn't hit my account as of this morning. On the bright side, the board I bought on craigslist is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

I really appreciate everyone's support and suggestions!
Old     (Melissa)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-24-2010, 4:28 AM Reply   
Dezzy - Just wondering, whereabouts in New England? I live in Western MA, near the CT border...
Old     (dezzy)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-24-2010, 6:07 AM Reply   
Yesterday was my lucky day-received the wakeboard I bought off craigslist-my daughter LOVES it, we are planning on trying it out this weekend. Also received the refund from dealadaywake.com!

Melissa, I am in Western Ma as well. Where do you go boating?
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-24-2010, 2:42 PM Reply   
Excellent news, Dez!!
Old     (dezzy)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-24-2010, 5:01 PM Reply   
Thanks again Kat for all of your advice and knowledge- it was extremely helpful!