Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (wakemonster)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-05-2003, 1:29 PM Reply   
ok, someone please tell me I am wrong on this, but I find it very annoying that I dropped off my not even a year old boat at my dealer for it's first 20 hour service (I have only 18 hours on the clock), and after they kept the boat for over 3 weeks (yep, 3 weeks), they call to tell me it's ready. I show up to pick it up, and the service guy hands me a bill for $200. WTF? They never ever said anything about changing the oil would cost me $200. Is this right??? . I paid it and had a few words for the manager of the dealer on how I think I got screwed. I also get home and turn on my stereo only to find it's totally hammered, and malfunctioning. Worked perfectly before I took it down to the dealer. I messed with it for a day and half, and finally yanked the deck out of the boat and told the dealer to get me another one under warranty. This is the first and last time they will ever see my boat.
Old     (sae4life)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-05-2003, 1:53 PM Reply   
Which dealer was it... I had probs with a supreme dealer my self.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-05-2003, 1:54 PM Reply   
When I took my boat in for its 20 hour service. It got broken into, damage to the interior and cover, trailer dinged up, stereo rip off (rather poorly too) and the interior was very dirty.

I can count how many times my boat has been back without any fingers...
Old    leggester            05-05-2003, 1:59 PM Reply   
Rich, if you read the stuff, you'll find most 20/100 hour services are not paid for. They're exactly that - a service.

Just like Grease Monkey and taking your car in every 3K miles.

I keep my own record of maintenance. I haven't brought a boat in for service in twenty years. Dealerships have not changed. Not saying all dealerships are bad, but one poor worker can ruin a boat.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-05-2003, 1:59 PM Reply   
Screwed....

Hell, for $200 I'd be glad to fly down there and show how to change your own oil, belts, impellar, plugs and stereo! And after we finish that job we can split the remaining $150....?

Better luck next time!
Old    stillstandin            05-05-2003, 3:10 PM Reply   
Dude, I have the same boat, and asked about the 20 hours service, They check everything, or so they say, the alignment of the shaft, the grease, oil, tranny fluid, etc...I said screw it, and just changed the oil, and filter myself. It was extremely easy, easier then my truck.
Old     (sae4life)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-05-2003, 3:15 PM Reply   
I talked with kelly over at fineline when i first got my V-pro last year and the only thing she said that i couldn't do my self was check the drive/motor alignment. Even though my first service was like $85 I felt it was worth it for piece of mind. Since then i have changed the oil myself. Keep in mind that any certified mercruser dealer can do the service, so if your unhappy with your deal definetly shop around.
My 2cents
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-05-2003, 3:25 PM Reply   
The first service should cost less than $100. Any shop that keeps an owner away from his new boat is immediately put on my bad dealer list.

Do not complain to the dealership. That will get you no where and won't change anything. Complain to the boat manufacture; calmly over the phone and in a well written letter.

The initial service is critical to warranty work. With most boats if the initial and subsequent maintenance is not done by an authorized technician the boat manufacture does not have to honor the warranty.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-06-2003, 9:57 AM Reply   
Rich- Here is the real kicker, Merc cruiser now recommends the first service at 100 hrs. They don't require the 20hr anymore. Read the manual.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-06-2003, 10:23 AM Reply   
My dealer, Tige Watersports in SoCal, sets appointments. As long as my boat is there by 9am they'll have it done the same day for normal service. Obviously major repairs take longer. But I was impressed that they would actually get the service done the same day since it seems very few boat dealers do.

Old     (sae4life)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-06-2003, 10:48 AM Reply   
Bill,
Tige H20 sports is a great dealer. They have the best service out of any dealer I have been to. Now if they would just start selling a different brand. J/K
Old    hlboatsnboards            05-06-2003, 11:22 AM Reply   
we don't charge for the 20hour service, that and the first winterization is on us. a thank you for buying the boat.

B
Old    aka Bradley Beach            05-06-2003, 11:27 AM Reply   
Dude you got hosed... Do it yourself next time!
Old    whitechocolate            05-06-2003, 1:45 PM Reply   
"YOU DIDN'T GET HOSED" I hate it when People are so quick to shout "you got riped" $200 Big Deal! $30.000 Dollar boat. It's all relitave, as you know owning a Boat isn't cheep, You will know next time. The first service is the most Important. If you are Handy with tools and know how to work on Boats $200 is a little steep, But When your boat is brand new lots of things come loose so you might want to doubble check all your hoses and belts even though you payed the $200 they might not have checked it. I had my service done and payed. I didn't want to be penny wise and pound foolish from this point on I do All my onw'n trani and oil changes, Just be sure to keep a eye on all your hose clamps and belts a little turn here or tighten there Keep's it all good
Old     (whit)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-06-2003, 2:17 PM Reply   
Maybe paying $200 isn't a bunch in some areas of the country. In North Carolina, $200 would be a bunch to pay for the service. Anyone in the home HVAC business? Every had an HVAC guy start telling you all sorts stuff is broken and it is going to cost thousands to cool your house? Sucks when someone tries to take advantage of you and charge more simply because they know you have the money to pay but lack the knowledge to know you are being taken for a ride.
Old    chadna            05-06-2003, 3:13 PM Reply   
Cheap a$$'s
Old    fun9c1            05-06-2003, 3:43 PM Reply   
You're going to pay top dollar at a dealer- no getting around that.

Also, you CAN do a shaft alignment yourself, it's pretty easy. I'd never bring my car or boat to a dealer in a million years. I know from experience (car dealers) that just because you paid for a service, doesn't mean it got done. To me, "piece of mind" comes from doing it myself. Just my .02
Old    av8tens            05-06-2003, 4:51 PM Reply   
I'm with Rob. I can afford the service, but who's to say it got done?? If a boat dealer promises quick turnaround for routine maintenance and he gets behind that day, it would be too easy to write up the shaft alignment/oil changes as complete without actually doing them. How would you know the difference?? It may even be in their best interest to NOT do the service so the boat comes in for a major warranty job when stuff goes wrong.
When you find a mechanic you can trust for cars or boats, they are worth their weight in gold.
Old     (waken23v)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-06-2003, 6:40 PM Reply   
I also have to give kudos to Tige H2O SPORTS in So. Cal. Their service is incredible. They are very upfront about the 20 hour service is a service and there will be charged. A normal service is always done the same day. I had gel coat cracks fixed under warranty in just a few days, so I don't miss the weekend riding.
Old    aka Bradley Beach            05-07-2003, 6:54 AM Reply   
I also agree with Rob. I'm all about doing it yourself, because then I know its done! Plus I don't have to worry about leaving my boat at the Dealer. Not a safe place to leave an $$$ boat IMO.

It has nothing to do with being cheap, I can afford the service, but why pay for something you can do yourself.
Old     (wakemonster)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-07-2003, 12:09 PM Reply   
well, thanks for all the comments and opinions and advise. From now on, the work will be done at my house with my own hands n tools. Someone posted something about they don't charge for the 20 hour service as a "thank you" for buying the boat... Now that's cool. I think my dealer had a different idea... read: (take the money and see ya!)
Oh yeah, 1-1/2 weeks now and Im still waiting for my replacement stereo, go figure.
Old     (wakemonster)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-07-2003, 12:10 PM Reply   
oh I forgot one other thing, I will definitely be writing Supreme a nice little letter about this.
Old    aka Bradley Beach            05-07-2003, 12:35 PM Reply   
Get er done!
Old    chase            05-07-2003, 4:48 PM Reply   
I had no idea Southeast Correct Craft was so incredible until now! I have never paid a dime for any service, oil changes, or anything since I have had my boat (and I've had in in for every oil change and checkup). The guys are always cool and always deliver when promised. This is a little bit shocking to me that after you spend over $30,000.00 they would charge for somewhat hokie checks of the very equipment that they have to warranty anyway. Sorry guys, that sucks! I would take the do-it-yourselfers advice.

Thanks, Southeast!
Old    big_pimpin            05-11-2003, 1:00 AM Reply   
i have about 18 hours on my new tige. i have an appointment@ the dealership for the 20hr. they want $300.00. is this normal or am i one week away from getting F'd.
Old    chase            05-11-2003, 5:33 AM Reply   
What are they doing to the boat for $300.00?! It sounds seriously hokie to me! An oil change and some "checks" don't warrant $300, in my opinion. Make sure they give you list of the services they are performing.