Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-27-2006, 5:34 PM Reply   
here are a few I took today. Any suggestions?

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-27-2006, 5:35 PM Reply   
Sorry I didn't orientate them ....
Old     (xcharrier)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-27-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
Hmm... they all look like they are sharp in certain areas to me. What kind of camera are you using? What was your point of focus in the photos?

For instance, in the water photos... were you trying to achieve a sharp capture? Typically, waterfalls and such are taken with a shutter drag to show motion.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-27-2006, 5:55 PM Reply   
I am using a digital Rebel XT with the standard lens that came with the camera. I don't know what my point of focus is.... what should it be to get a clear, sharp image of a landscape pic? In the waterfalls, I wanted a sharp image on the still items and blurred H20.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-27-2006, 6:00 PM Reply   
I wouldn't use f16-f32 for those kinds of shots unless you're willing to give up some sharpness and you need extreme DOF. Most lenses don't perform that good stopped down that much as diffraction starts to set in. I'm not sure what you're looking for with those as they don't look too bad to me given the camera you sot them with. If you want more POP in your web images use an agressive sharpener. I used PK's web output sharpener on them and you can see the results below. Nothing to get real excited about though. Did you shoot those in RAW? If you did you need to sharpen them some even when resizing for the web. Your exposures are pretty good on them all.Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-27-2006, 6:10 PM Reply   
Rich,
Which f/stops would you suggest?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-28-2006, 6:14 AM Reply   
I would think f8 would have been OK for all the shots with the possible exception of the rocks. Seriously though I think you're expecting too much from the camera itself. I'm curious to know:

Were those RAW or jpeg?

If they were jpeg what was the contrast/sharpness set at? (landscapes usually look better with more of both)

What lens?

and finally did you shoot those off a tripod?

Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-28-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
jpeg
the contrast/sharpness is set at 1 for both
50-90mm canon lens that came with the camera
not on tripod
Old     (mattyboyr6)      Join Date: Jul 2003       03-28-2006, 6:28 PM Reply   
Next time out try a tripod especialy for the waterfall at 1/40th. Also cheat a little. Take a shot using the cameras pre set options like Landscape. Then tweek in manual mode to your liking. When in post use a some form of sharpening liek Unsharp mask in Pshop or as Rich wrote "PK's web output sharpener"
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-28-2006, 6:33 PM Reply   
Most digital landscape shooters have learned to use curves and sharpening to the max. I think that's what you're not seeing in your shots. (Again I think they look fine given they are straight from the cam.)