Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (WLF)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-22-2013, 1:45 PM Reply   
So who has a new X Star that has done anything other than the stock JL speakers on the towers? I'm considering Wet Sounds but 4 rev10's won't fit, the Rev 3Some that they offer seem nice, but the installation since you don't use the Factory tower mounts will be costly and not as clean looking.

Just curious what the masses would do with a blank slate and a budget that allows for a nice set-up that is tasteful yet damn nice. I've hear factory JL towers running non-factory 150W to the towers on their own EQ that are way louder and no distortion or sound quality lost...that might be a better way to go?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-22-2013, 2:28 PM Reply   
Given the cost of the WS 3-Some and the power to drive it, whats costly about the install with the Rev-410 clamping to the bar as opposed to the factory pod perches compared to doing 2 pair of pods bolted to the factory spots? Personally, I think the 410 clamped to the bar looks just fine. Speaker wire is still hidden in the clamp, as it would with the OEM pods.
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-22-2013, 3:04 PM Reply   
FYI it's possible to fit 4 REV 10's. they are almost touching though
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-23-2013, 3:53 AM Reply   
I have the Roswell Neptunes on my new X Star, and they are AMAZING. Totally changed the entire stereo. You can fit four, but there is no need. I had four JL's on my last boat, and these blow them out of the water.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-23-2013, 6:59 AM Reply   
I have the Factory JL's on my new XStar, but I doubled the amps...... I bridged 2 speakers on the original 4 channel, added another JL 4 channel, and bridged the other 2 on that amp.

The weak point on the factory JL's is the amp, and only the amp. Those speakers crank, if you have them powered appropriately. And I also feel that the sound quality on the JL's is very hard to beat. Wetsounds are very good, but I feel that they lack a little bit of sound depth. I am really picky with audio though......

An EQ would probably help as well, but I found that spending 20-30 minutes dialing in the crossover settings really made the difference. I don't know what MC uses for criteria to set the default settings, but they were way off from optimal.
Old     (WLF)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-23-2013, 8:25 AM Reply   
So I agree with you on the factory JL's...how many Watts are you feeding to each speaker? 150? Did you up the power on the in boat speakers as well? What are you running for a sub? #of batteries? Sorry for all the questions...

I've not heard of the rosewells before, I'll have to check those out as well. It just seems like properly powered JL's isn't going to be a poor decision. I understand why the factory underpowered this stuff, but what a difference it makes if they are.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-23-2013, 8:44 AM Reply   
The JL Audio 7.7s need 150 to 200 watts of honest power each when up on the tower (200 clean watts is completely safe when in the highpass mode), which certainly is a more demanding role than down in the boat.
The JL's have very good midbass, deliver a smooth response and are the most musically correct tower speaker available. It is precisely these SQ qualities that dictate it will not play as loud or project as far as an HLCD. The question then becomes, properly powered will they play loud enough and project far enough to satisfy YOUR expectations. For some, 'absolutely yes', and for others, 'absolutely no'.
The next progression for greater output and projection is a) larger, and b) an HLCD. The Wetsounds REV series fit the bill in both aspects. Plus, the Wetsounds REVs are clearly the best sounding of all HLCD offerings.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-23-2013, 4:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLF View Post
So I agree with you on the factory JL's...how many Watts are you feeding to each speaker? 150? Did you up the power on the in boat speakers as well? What are you running for a sub? #of batteries? Sorry for all the questions...

I've not heard of the rosewells before, I'll have to check those out as well. It just seems like properly powered JL's isn't going to be a poor decision. I understand why the factory underpowered this stuff, but what a difference it makes if they are.
Originally, it comes with 1 M400/4 powering the tower, which is a 4 channel amp, with 100 watts per channel. I bridged the channels to run 2 channels on that amp, at 200 watts each. I then added another M400/4, and did the same. So, the tower speakers are now getting 200 watts per channel.

I didn't do anything with the boat speakers. Those are run on a M600/6, pushing 100 watts, each, to 6 cabin speakers. I have found that it is plenty loud inside the boat, just the way it is.

I am still only running the stock sub. I got that to perform 100% better, by just dialing in better crossover settings. I have thought about adding another, but to be honest, it is enough bass for me.

I run two batteries.
Old     (WLF)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-24-2013, 4:32 AM Reply   
So could I run each pair of 7.7's with a JL 750/1 or is that too much?
Old     (alexasgaudet87)      Join Date: Oct 2013       10-24-2013, 5:01 AM Reply   
I have the Roswell Neptunes on my new X Star, and they are AMAZING.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-24-2013, 5:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by WLF View Post
So could I run each pair of 7.7's with a JL 750/1 or is that too much?
That's way too much for a single pair. A single HD750/1 is perfect for two pair of JL Audio 7.7's. That provides an under-rated 187.5 watts to each of four speakers having a 175 watt rating. It's a little over the top but safe given you're also in the highpass mode. And keep in mind that the HD750/1 is strictly regulated so that it will not lose power at a lower supply voltage. That 187.5 watts per is guaranteed under any reasonable operating condition.
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-24-2013, 6:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidAnalog View Post
That's way too much for a single pair. A single HD750/1 is perfect for two pair of JL Audio 7.7's. That provides an under-rated 187.5 watts to each of four speakers having a 175 watt rating. It's a little over the top but safe given you're also in the highpass mode. And keep in mind that the HD750/1 is strictly regulated so that it will not lose power at a lower supply voltage. That 187.5 watts per is guaranteed under any reasonable operating condition.
Mostly Agreed.... Only one concern

The HD750/1 has the ability to regulate it's output to 750 watts with a wide range of different impedance values. (1.5 ohms-4 ohms I believe) This allows that amp to be stable, if it is bridged down to low impedances.

The 1 concern- Even though it has two sets of speaker outputs, this is still a 1 channel amp. I believe that those 2 outputs are bridged inside the amp. If that is the case, you will be bridging 4 channels, that are 4 ohms each, down to a single channel. In doing so, you drop the channel impedance to a little less than 1 ohm. That amp is not designed to run stable at that impedance level. It is only able to run stable down to 1.5 ohms. And believe me, it will make a difference.

The one thing you want to find out, is if that amp is a true single channel, or if it can be run as a two channel. If it is not internally bridged (which most mono amps are), you will be ok to bridge 2 speakers off of each channel.

If you were going to go with one of JL's non-marine amps (which is fine with the amp location in a XStar) I would recommend getting the XD800/8V2. It is a true 200w/4 channels at 4 ohms. It would run VERY stable, and put exactly what you need for power, to the tower. I think a 750/1 is risky, and you might find that it clips a lot...... Especially if you continue to run mid-bass through the tower speakers.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-24-2013, 7:05 AM Reply   
Eric,
The JL Audio HD750/1 is a true monoblock and is NOT internally bridged. It also has a true summing circuit at its input. With a series/parallel configuration the final resulting impedance load will be 4-ohms, where it will deliver full power and maximum bandwidth (given that its Class D). So there is absolutlely zero area for concern.
The JL Audio XD800/8V2 is also a great option. It is unregulated but will hold a high percentage of its 14.4 V rated power even with a 12.6 V supply. However, the bridged XD800/8 does require eight conductors through the tower versus four. If the boat already has eight conductors run then this is not a concern.