Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       07-03-2012, 8:11 AM Reply   
Hey guys, Im in the market for a Vdrive with a great hull for wakeboarding. My budget is 25k.. And before you jump on me, yes I have done the research, I just want to make sure that I am not missing any on my list of boats to look for. So far, this is what I have compiled.. Please feel free to tell me if I have any you disagree with, or any that I should add to my list to look for.. Thanks...

Malibu
VLX sunsetter or wakesetter... 98-03 depending on price
MasterCraft
205V, Older Xstar, Older X10, Older x2
Supra
Older 21v, or SSV
Nautique
Super Sport, older SAN
Moomba
Mobius V (probably my last choice)

Let me note that I am located in the South East, and we dont see many Centurions, Sangers, etc. I would be willing to drive, but most not 1k miles.. Thanks for any input..
Old     (HoldenH2O)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-03-2012, 8:24 AM Reply   
Mastercraft maristar 210 and 230 would be on my list.

Buddy bought an '00 230 two years ago for $20k.
Old     (hunter660)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-03-2012, 8:40 AM Reply   
My first boat was a '99 210VRS (X10 hull) I was looking for a 205V at the time, but went with the 210 due too having much more room. The wake was decent with 2000lbs. The surf wake was ok when I had a small platform on it. I used it almost 4 years and put about 100 hours on it the last year I had it. I don't remember having a single issue with it.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       07-03-2012, 9:17 AM Reply   
Centurion Elite V might be a good choice
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-03-2012, 10:18 AM Reply   
You didn't say what boat you were going from so I had to look at your profile.

Are you selling your Supra 21V?

If so, then why? and what are you trying to achieve in the next boat?
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-03-2012, 10:23 AM Reply   
You list looks pretty good. All things being equal I would probably choose a Wakesetter or Sunsetter VLX on the wake hull over the SAN or 205V. Mostly because I like the looks the best and it is the biggest and roomiest of those 3 boats. The 22SSV is a good boat and easy to add lots of ballast if it has the playpen. I had a Mob V and liked it. It was good size, had the playpen so you could add lots of ballast, had a nice solid, consistant wake and was cheap. They are kind of rare but they should be closer to the 15-20k range. This should mean you could find a really nice one and add your own stuff exactly how you want it or find a really clean, loaded one for 25k or under. All the other boats can be found for 25k or less but harder to find one that has low hours and is really clean. Not impossible by any means but more will be beat on then not probably.
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       07-03-2012, 10:34 AM Reply   
Jay I had heard about the maristars having the same hull as some of the olders x stars.. You know if there is any truth to that?

Tim.. That was my buddys boat, and he has since sold it. We rocked behind a 98 sunsetter vlx before that, and really liked it. But just curious what other Vdrives had good wakes..

Thanks for the input guys.. Anyone know of a chart for mastercraft showing the hull designs/changes? I found an awesome a while back for the bu's.. That would be pretty helpful....
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-03-2012, 10:56 AM Reply   
The older maristars are nothing like any xstar.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-03-2012, 11:14 AM Reply   
With the risk of sounding snide it may be easier to make a list of the V-drive wakeboats that you don't want.

Seriously, I have heard good things about every single one (even Wakecraft...whatever that is)

I would focus more on what you need (iow - the reason I sold my Sanger DLX direct drive for a V-drive):

Push Button Ballast (the number 1 reason I sold my DLX)
Perfect pass ( gotta have - or you will be spending 1100 bucks for it and putting it on yourself )
decent stereo (or if you want one your good deal 25k boat now becomes a 30k boat - have you priced a set of wetsounds and amps lately?)
how much room do you want

Of course, test drive and ride behind them so you know what you will be happy with also.

I also tend to (normally) agree with Brett.
Old     (HoldenH2O)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-03-2012, 7:09 PM Reply   
The older xstars are the 205 hull. Different animal.
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       07-03-2012, 8:49 PM Reply   
Someone just mentioned Sanger V210 to me. Looked some up, they look like a nice boat, unsure of the wake though. However, none around the southeast..

Lifetimewarrenty, I'm not looking for folks to tell me the boat to get, just curious if anyone had heard of and VDrive boats that weren't on my list, that produce a great wakeboard wake. I'll do the research on it long before I pursue anything, just looking for some help possibly from guys who have ridden behind some great not well known wake hulls.. To answer your question, this boat is primarily for my family and friends to have fun in, but to also slam and have a nasty wake session with some devoted crew. Thanks for all the input guys!
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       07-03-2012, 8:57 PM Reply   
Ballast isn't a necessity, as of I want to slam, we got all the big sacks we need.. Stereo would be nice, but also not a must have. PP will be something I will for sure want, or will have to add. The space for the kids and crew is the main reason for the V.. That and I feel I should be able to produce a better wake out of it a little more easily.. My main thing, is just to find a good dependable V that has the ability of making a great wake for boarding.. I can add the bells and whistles as I round up the cheese.. That being said, if I can come across a fully rigged dude, I would be really pumped. But I would much rather my money be spent on a dependable boat, than a sound system, of that makes any sense..
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-04-2012, 5:22 AM Reply   
i have a fully loaded 04,210 nautique team, runs great im on it every day almost. goin to get a bigger boat...i cant do 25 but can come close..askin 28500 but in sept am just goin to dump it for whatever i can, orderin new next feb.
Old     (jrw160)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-04-2012, 6:03 AM Reply   
The 1999 maristar 205vrs has the old xstar/205v hull. That is the only year they used that hull in the maristar. They are pretty rare, and I've never even seen one.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-04-2012, 7:00 AM Reply   
I have a guy wanting to sell an older Xstar in your price range in the SE
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-04-2012, 10:47 AM Reply   
Nautique barefoot or excel are early 90's v drives that throw a decent wake but are closed bow
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       07-04-2012, 10:55 AM Reply   
Not all excels are closed bow
Old     (Raf1985)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-04-2012, 11:44 AM Reply   
Gekko..............Bring the hate!
Old     (gnarslayer)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-04-2012, 12:17 PM Reply   
OLDER SAN 210 you can never go wrong with that boat! sure its small but the wake becomes a monster when adding a few sacs on top of stock!
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       07-04-2012, 8:25 PM Reply   
JB, that's my top choice right now, if I can find one. My 2nd would probably be the VLX, then older Xstar
Old     (azeus17)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-05-2012, 7:16 AM Reply   
Quote:
Old Chris Bucklin (chrisbucklin) Join Date: Mar 2012 Yesterday, 4:22 AM Reply Quick Reply
i have a fully loaded 04,210 nautique team, runs great im on it every day almost. goin to get a bigger boat...i cant do 25 but can come close..askin 28500 but in sept am just goin to dump it for whatever i can, orderin new next feb.
I would jump on this deal...assuming it is in good condition.
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-06-2012, 2:55 AM Reply   
I'm tellin u this boat runs great. I'm on it every week end all week end. I got 42 hours in the boat this season,not bad for Wisconsin!! Someone is goin to get a great boat for a small price!
Old     (chrisbucklin)      Join Date: Mar 2012       07-10-2012, 3:12 AM Reply   
Did u get my email address?
Old     (MrPeepers)      Join Date: Aug 2011       07-10-2012, 6:48 AM Reply   
You wouldn't be disappointed with the VLX.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-10-2012, 4:19 PM Reply   
Malibu 21' Sunscape LSV, 02-04. Same hull as the 01 Sunsetter VLX, should be in a similar price range. Actually any of the early Suncapes (23/25') may be found for the top of your budget. The 2000 Malibu Escape would also be in your price range.
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       07-11-2012, 1:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
Malibu 21' Sunscape LSV, 02-04. Same hull as the 01 Sunsetter VLX, should be in a similar price range. Actually any of the early Suncapes (23/25') may be found for the top of your budget. The 2000 Malibu Escape would also be in your price range.
The chart that Im looking at shows the suncape's have the diamond hull. Could anyone verify for sure if that is correct or not? The sunsetter has the SV23 2001 and before, after that it switches to the SV23D (diamond). The sunscapes and all appear to have the Diamond..
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-11-2012, 1:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyle View Post
The chart that Im looking at shows the suncape's have the diamond hull. Could anyone verify for sure if that is correct or not? The sunsetter has the SV23 2001 and before, after that it switches to the SV23D (diamond). The sunscapes and all appear to have the Diamond..
sunscapes all have the diamond hull I believe. all 23LSV's no matter what model before 2004 had the diamond hull. 2001 sunsetter VLX has the diamond hull. All prior(up to and including 2000) Sunsetter VLX's had the wake hull.
Old     (nitrousbird)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-11-2012, 4:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyle View Post
What's wrong with the diamond hull? My 01 SS has the diamond hull, and you can build a great wake with it. I haven't see the V25/27 hull wakes, but the SV23 diamond hull puts out a great wake. Only thing with it is you MUST have the wedge to get it to shape nicely; I hate my wake without the wedge. Luckily it is a common option.

I think a lot of people think because it is the diamond hull it must only be good for slalom and can't make a good wakeboard wake. Not at all; IMO it is a more versatile wake than the SV23 wake hull. Many of the newer Waksetter models could be ordered with either a wake or diamond hull on the same model.
Old     (lyle)      Join Date: May 2004       07-12-2012, 8:13 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrousbird View Post
What's wrong with the diamond hull? My 01 SS has the diamond hull, and you can build a great wake with it. I haven't see the V25/27 hull wakes, but the SV23 diamond hull puts out a great wake. Only thing with it is you MUST have the wedge to get it to shape nicely; I hate my wake without the wedge. Luckily it is a common option.

I think a lot of people think because it is the diamond hull it must only be good for slalom and can't make a good wakeboard wake. Not at all; IMO it is a more versatile wake than the SV23 wake hull. Many of the newer Waksetter models could be ordered with either a wake or diamond hull on the same model.
Not dissing on the Diamond at all, just have always been under the impression that it is more of a hybrid type wake, good for both skiing and boarding.. A little harder to get the same caliber wake as the non diamond. And since I dont plan to be doing alot of skiing, I would prefer the non diamond.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-12-2012, 8:21 AM Reply   
If you don't plan on skiing at all or very little you are right in crossing it right off your list.