Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old     (ckast)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-25-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
I just started wakeboarding and now I'm an addict! I am seeking out some information on a good board for a beginner that will still give me some room for advancement.

From reading previous posts, it sounds like there isn't any difference between men and women's boards except color. Is that true?

What size would I need? I am 5'5" and weigh about 135.

I am leaning toward either a hyperlite or a liquid force board. Any thoughts on who puts out a better board? Any suggestions on models?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-25-2009, 12:01 PM Reply   
I think both product lines are decent. I support my favorite local board shop and they deal in Hyperlite and Ronix so those are the brands I stick with. Hyperlite has an awesome warranty so that is a plus, too. I'm not sure on the warranties of other brands.

There is no difference between men's and women's boards. I go on size and shape above all else. You can sometimes get a great deal on last year's models - ask your board shop if they have any they can give you a deal on. What area are you from? Likewise, if you can demo something that would be great. Each shape rides really different and sometimes you don't know what you like until you try it. It would be great to demo two that are very different so that you can get a feel for what appeals to you.

For beginners I love the Hyperlite Motive. It comes in a 134 which would work well for your size. It is very predictable and mellow - not too aggressive. Aggressive = slower learning & harder crashes for a beginner in my opinion. They are also in the mid-range on price so that is a plus if you are just getting into it.

I put a lot of my budget into bindings. These are key for comfort and should fit your foot well. You can always buy super nice bindings and then, in a few seasons, put your nice bindings onto a more advanced board. I started with some cheap-o bindings years ago and it was awful.

Welcome to WakeWorld and welcome to your new addiction. You have good company here!
Old     (ckast)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-25-2009, 2:09 PM Reply   
Thanks Lizrd. I appreciate the advice. Excellent point about getting a board that is not too aggressive.

Can you recommend any bindings? Should I go with female bindings? I can understand no difference in boards, but it seems as if female bindings might fit the shape of my foot better vs. male bindings.

I live in Columbus, OH. Not the best place to live if you are into wakeboarding. There aren't any shops real close that I have found. I travel a lot for work and for fun so plan on stopping in a shop during my travels that I have coming up.

Thanks again for your help!!
Old     (littlelady)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-25-2009, 2:27 PM Reply   
chrissy...Womens bindings are key if you have small feet. I wear size 5 womens shoes... so taking the mens option is really not a good idea if I want my bindings to fit. Also, if you have weak ankles, stiffer bindings can also be important but some people would rather have some softer bindings with less support to easily "tweak" the board and have more style when throwing in those tricks.

Hope that helps!
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-25-2009, 3:40 PM Reply   
LF Melissa 134, and Melissa bindings....my daughter loves this setup!
Upload
Old     (littlelady)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-25-2009, 4:42 PM Reply   
I have the Melissa bindings too. I like them because they give my ankles good support. I don't have the Melissa board though because I like to have a 3 stage rocker and I think that a 134 might be a little too big for me. I think I might get Dallas Friday's board - O'brien Skyla in a 129. Then a again, I'm a petite lady - 5foot2 and 110lbs on a "heavy" day.
Old    wakejjboard12            06-25-2009, 5:00 PM Reply   
Not true about guys boots. IMO womens boots are made poorly compared to mens. I wear an 8 in womens= 6-7 in mens. Ronix boots come in 6-7 and are THE most comfortable boots I have owned. I've ridden 2 different melissa's, transits, Murrays, 3DS' and some crappy womens boots from hyperlite (old noise maybe)

Your best bet is to demo stuff and feel whats comfortable. Online shops demo now so not having a shop in your area isnt a prob. check out tcwake.com

I will say LF womens boots are the best womens boots but not better than the guys IMO.
Old     (littlelady)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-25-2009, 6:50 PM Reply   
jessica-- i would agree as well. If you have feet that would fit into mens boots, you can definitly go for that. Personally, I think that Liquid Force makes some nice boots compared to other companies out there - but maybe thats just me.
Old     (lothlin)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-26-2009, 1:46 AM Reply   
SOME women's boots aren't as good as men's, but some are good. I demoed a pair of vantageas and own a pair of ct melissas from this year, and I truly think the mel's are the better boot, and LF says they have the same stats. The hubby agrees with me on this

I'd suggest the melissas, the velcro is sweet, but only if you don't want a stiff boot. It's comfy, but definately flexible - the 09 model at least
Old    wakejjboard12            06-26-2009, 5:37 AM Reply   
I can't speak for the closed toes but open toe vantages and open toe melissas are the same boot. Never seen closed vantages so idk about those.

MF Noel- I agree LF has amazing boots, and by far are the best womens. I just prefer Ronix. Its all an opinion thing. Which is why i said demo.
Old     (amywake)      Join Date: Oct 2008       06-26-2009, 11:18 AM Reply   
Try the LF Wing CT boots. They are VERY comfy. I have a small, narrow foot and have found that men's bindings are too wide. LF has a great line of boards that cater to beginners wanting room for improvement. The LF Melissa was used most during Maven Sessions for the beginners. DEMO! Or find something on Craig's List that you won't pay too much for... and won't feel bad parting with if not the right fit.(Spend the extra $$ on a good fitting boot). Good Luck!!
Old     (lothlin)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-26-2009, 11:27 AM Reply   
They are the same boot. But somehow to us, the construction and ability to hold up on the vantages just doesn't seem to be as there as it is with the melissa boots; the overlays are made out of different materials, it might be that *shrug*
Old     (mikebu)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-26-2009, 9:08 PM Reply   
I have a 08 pair of LF Wing CT boots my daughter doesn't like. They are size 7-8 and been used twice. Send me a PM if you might be interested in buying them.
Old     (ckast)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-28-2009, 10:33 AM Reply   
Hey guys. Thank you so much for all your help!!

I recently purchased the LF Melissa 134 with bindings. Got a great deal on eBay.

Can't wait to try it out!

Thanks again!
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-28-2009, 3:16 PM Reply   
Way to go....let us know what you think.
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-22-2009, 10:11 PM Reply   
got a girlfriend about to start riding.

how would she go on a liquid force trip.

any board suggestions for beginers welcome.

cheers
Old     (jersey)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-23-2009, 5:34 AM Reply   
Hey Shane, I usually ride a 134 LF Angel (also a great board for beginners), but rode the 134 LF Trip for a one off lesson this summer and found it a really nice ride. The water was really choppy at points and the board held up well so should be fine for a beginner.
Old     (axeman)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-23-2009, 6:51 AM Reply   
The Trip and the Melissa are very similar if not the same from what I've heard...
Old     (manda)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-25-2009, 4:11 PM Reply   
trip and angel are the same mould, melissa 09-10 are completly new shape its a hybrid. im sure melissa was riding the angel a few yrs ago b4 she got her own pro model. im getting the 09 melissa setup today!!

i also have an 08 jett/wing combo. great board not so much on the bindings!

good luck n have fun