Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-07-2009, 8:36 AM Reply   
So trying to make plans for some camping trips next year

and one Idea is the floating campsites, but several in the group like campfires... So the question I have for those that have been

are there fire pits on the floating campsite... Are they even allowed?? And what about those free standing fire pits with the covers would those work???
Old     (zipe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-07-2009, 10:35 AM Reply   
No fires allowed on the sites. You pretty much trade the no dirt for no fires, but well worth it!
Old     (eviltweak)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-07-2009, 6:36 PM Reply   
i love the floating campsites they are a blast there are no fires but it is well worth it
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-07-2009, 7:28 PM Reply   
I'd take those floating campsites over a steep-angled dirt hill and a camp fire in a second. Those floating sites RULE. You could bring a litle self-contained fire pit. You would just have to be carefull. I believe the top deck of that thing is concrete. You've got shade, a toilet, BBQ, picnic table. Very cool.
Old     (denystaucd)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-07-2009, 9:19 PM Reply   
Heard you have to be off the floating sites when your scheduled too. Or they fine you since the cleaning crews come-in, in the afternoon on sundays. But they are FUN!

Cheers,
DC
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-08-2009, 12:10 PM Reply   
Another vote for the floaters over the campfire....no question.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-09-2009, 6:40 AM Reply   
Anyone got some good photos of these floating camp sites. I'd like to see what they look like.
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-09-2009, 8:10 AM Reply   
Here you goUpload
Old     (wayz)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-09-2009, 2:17 PM Reply   
That doesn't look too big. We're headed out there next weekend for some oldschool camping. My crew hauls too much junk when we go camping, we'd have to get 2 of those things.
Old     (reconabe)      Join Date: Jun 2007       09-09-2009, 4:02 PM Reply   
it looks like a bigger version of the floating restrooms on don pedro, do they smell as bad???
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       09-09-2009, 4:57 PM Reply   
They don't smell bad at all, you may catch a smell while walking down the stairs by the open window but thats all. They are bigger than they look on the picture, we had an awesome time, about 16 of us camped there.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-09-2009, 5:03 PM Reply   
We had 14 people on one....plenty of room
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-09-2009, 6:32 PM Reply   
Showers on them? Are they all over the lake? And if so where are the best ones?
Old     (wakeboardertj)      Join Date: May 2005       09-09-2009, 6:40 PM Reply   
No showers, i want to say they are only on the arm out of bidwell marina but i can't say for sure, i bet their website will say.
Old     (l1spoogy)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-10-2009, 7:43 AM Reply   
They move them around depending on the water level. This year all of them were on the middle fork lined up about 200 yards apart from each other. Last year we had number 5 it was in a large cove directly across the main part of the lake from the dam with one other campsite about 200 yards away.

I will second they are bigger than that picture may lead you to believe. The main 2 story structure is 20' X 24" with a bathroom a storage area,a full size picnic table, a sink (no running water), and a barbecue. We had 2 large tents on the second story.

There is also an additional "platform" that they have added in the last few years that is about 6' X 20' where you can hang out and put out a bunch of chairs and tie the boats off to. We easily fit 12 people and chairs on this with room to spare.

Link to map of the lake with locations of the sites where they normally are at high water level.

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/462/files/LakeOrovilleMAP.pdf
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-10-2009, 8:56 AM Reply   
Those things look sweet but no pets kinda sucks.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-10-2009, 9:03 AM Reply   
take note of the fine print on "location may change". Last year we stayed on 5 directly across from the Dam. We hooked the same site this year on Memorial weekend for Sat Sun. We were not able to get there before sunset so i knew we were launching at night. I had the (old) location of site 5 in the GPS...no problem. 9:45 pm we roll in and ranger rick shows me the map telling me 5 is up the middle fork...I had never been up the middle fork. 2 boats, 14 people, underway 'bout 10:45pm......2:45am we finally found it. After a 5 min unpack, I had one of the best tumblers of scotch I've ever had. The sites are awesome, particularly if you load / unload in the daylight.