Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-11-2013, 8:53 AM Reply   
So the wifey and myself have been discussing ditching the DD and picking up a vdrive. Currently in an MC x9 and we love the boat but it just isn't a prime layout for having 2 small kids. We'd like to be in a lower hour simply built boat as we do all our own work. Just not into touchscreens etc.

Have ridden in an older moomba lsv but wanted to get thoughts on the xlv, lsv, and good years etc. I know they were taken over and have seem some changes since then.

They look like a big bang for the buck boat as we want to stay around 30-35k. Before this turns into "you should check this out" we are staying away from MC right now as I'm not in the mood to get in an overpriced older high hour boat, axis is over the price point, and we have no sanger/mb dealers close. Obviously a boat wouldn't be under warranty but I like the security of having a dealer close for parts emergencies & etc.

Also we don't really surf as the previous boat just doesn't have that good of a surf wake but would say in the future maybe 80-90% wakeboard and would like to surf some.

Last edited by williamburell; 07-11-2013 at 9:00 AM.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-11-2013, 9:00 AM Reply   
2006-to 2012 LSV is the same boat more or less isn't it? I think the 2004-around 2009 or 2010 XLV's were the same boat more or less.

What about a newer Outback V? They changed it in 2009 and the newer one's have more freeboard and more room in the cockpit than the older one. Although you don't here squat about them on WW it sounds like it is a pretty good 3 sport hull that will satisfy most on the wakeboard, surf and ski wakes. I think you could find a 2009 or 2010 for 35k or less.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-11-2013, 9:01 AM Reply   
I had an 08 Moomba XLV we bought new. Put 400 hours on the boat and it was totally trouble free. I loved that boat. Moomba's are awesome, and are a well made boat. I'd buy another in a second if I didn't already have an overpriced MC. I think the LSV will have a better wake for kids than the XLV though.
Old     (bjames)      Join Date: May 2012       07-11-2013, 9:10 AM Reply   
I had a 2009 Moomba LSV and loved it. We had a few minor warranty issues, but after the first year, the boat was trouble free. IMO, the Moomba is probably one of the best bangs for money. The LSV contained everything you need, but nothing you didnt (if that makes any sense).

Dont mean to bash MC, but in the last 2.5 years I am on my 3rd MC. The first 2 (2011 and 2012 models) were in the shop more times that onthe water due to tech issues. I ended up downgrading from a fully loaded '12 X25 to a 09 Xtstar and could not be any happier. I realized that I missed the simplicity of the get in and go style boat (like the LSV). There are far less things to go wrong. So far my Star has been virtualy trouble free (after the Vdig was replaced under warranty LOL).

Good lick..
Old     (CHern5972)      Join Date: Jul 2012       07-11-2013, 10:19 AM Reply   
08-11 XLV is a nice rig for sure. Id look into that, we would have bought a XLV but the were discontinued. Love the layout and how it rides. Great wake and love the surf wake. Great boats.
Old     (wakedaveup)      Join Date: May 2012       07-11-2013, 10:22 AM Reply   
Somewhat off topic but I took out a Mojo 2.5 this morning and was absolutely blown away at the wakeboard wake behind that boat. The performance was not disapointing by any means either. We ran about 1800lbs, gps cruise at 22.5, trim plate all the way up, and the wake was clean and big. I think anyone looking for a quality boat at a price point should give Moomba a look. Great boats for the money
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-11-2013, 10:56 AM Reply   
haven't looked at an outback V. We don't ski at all anymore so trying to focus as much on a good wakeboard wake, the ability to surf, and simplicity. I like simple switches and things I can work on without an EE degree. Sounds like lots of positive things which to be honest I was unsure about

Quote:
I think the LSV will have a better wake for kids than the XLV though.
how so? The lsv would work better for storage for us anyways but like the thought of a bigger boat

Last edited by williamburell; 07-11-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-11-2013, 11:12 AM Reply   
The LSV wake will be clean at lower speeds. Its also a little easier to keep clean but doesn't get as big as the XLV. The storage and seating on an XLV is pretty great. A lot of companies have gone to similar seating arrangements (Axis, MC, etc..)
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-11-2013, 11:47 AM Reply   
yeah your wanting a LSV. mojo cant be had for that price yet. too new.
the LSV lower hull is unchanged from 2006-2013. ie the water surface.
however in 2012 or 2013 they went to a new deeper/taller upper deck.
im on my second moomba now ('11 LSV, previous '03 LSV)
i love it. both have been flawless. performance and maintance wise. ive never done anything other than change the oil. and i put 150+ hours a year on them.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       07-11-2013, 11:54 AM Reply   
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=38747
http://onlyinboards.com/Details.aspx?ID=37888

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...-LSV-101834281
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...mba-LSV-353108
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...mba-LSV-361910
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/20...ius-Lsv-362806
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-11-2013, 11:58 AM Reply   
some of those look like good deals. Unfortunately Ive gotta find one to local to let the wifey look at before we sell our boat. We just redid all the upholstery, stargazer, etc over winter, and she wants to see options before we put ours up. Have no problem driving to china to get one just have to find one somewhat close to raleigh to let her feel around in. She loved the ones at the boat show but obvs an 06 is going to seem completely different to a woman compared to a new one

Last edited by williamburell; 07-11-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-11-2013, 1:20 PM Reply   
2006+ LSV would be my vote, and you should have no problem getting a clean, low hour, well optioned version right in your budget. I'll save my full sales pitch, but take a look on the Moomba forum and you'll find a ton of very happy owners.
Old     (james)      Join Date: Feb 2010       07-11-2013, 3:52 PM Reply   
I have an 2008 Moomba XLV I bought it new in 2009 and love my boat. The wake is a little harder to clean up at slower speeds but it can produce a massive wake if done right. Its a great boat size for loading the whole family up. I had very few problems and the interior is holding up great.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-11-2013, 4:21 PM Reply   
I have an 07 LSV and have 500+ hours.....It has been a great boat.
With extra weight the wake gets good sized....not the biggest or best but plenty big!!!
I have suprised more then a few riders with it.....lol

Moomba "No worries"
I think the Moomba LSV was best selling ski/wake boat a few years in a row???
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-11-2013, 6:53 PM Reply   
Kingsport
http://tricities.craigslist.org/boa/3882367355.html

ATL
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/boa/3889000339.html

NC
http://fayetteville.craigslist.org/boa/3833996198.html

Alabama
http://tippecanoe.craigslist.org/boa/3803370851.html
Old     (jsly04xlv)      Join Date: Jun 2013       07-11-2013, 7:21 PM Reply   
Have an 04 xlv gravity games edition for sale in Charlotte area listed on only inboard for 38k obo. Love the space, wake (surf and wake board), and definitely doesn't look her age, but having a baby and won't have the time we used to. Pm me for more pics.

Sorry for the sales pitch. Can't go wrong with the moomba line. We've loved ours since we bought it and plan on getting back into another one once time permits. Good luck with your search.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Old     (rdlangston13)      Join Date: Feb 2011       07-11-2013, 11:27 PM Reply   
I have a 2008 Moomba LSV and its been virtually trouble free and i put about 100 hrs a year on it. Wake is clean with no ballast down to 18 mph for teaching and we run 22 with 1800 lbs in it for the better riders.

Sent from my iPhone
Old     (JohnAr)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-12-2013, 12:55 PM Reply   
My '08 Moomba XLV has been pretty trouble-free. Awesomely sized boat. The wakeboard wake is huge with a bag upgrade. It's a wider wake than the LSV and more finicky to weight distribution, but you can pretty much count on a clean lip on the side your rider is on (both ways) so who cares if the other side has a little wash (IMO). The wake cleans up around 20-21 and is perfect at 22-23, but it's not easy to clean up at 18-19 for little kids and such. In my experience, people riding slow are usually new and don't know or care about the wake. I don't take out little kids though.

I would buy another Moomba. I would get a Mojo for the sexier wake, but they're too much $$ right now. I would consider an Axis A22 as well, but same problem. Not worth $20k more to upgrade.

It's $$$ money to upgrade things like props, batteries, stereo and ballast system so make sure you understand what you're getting and/or try to get a boat already set up the way you like. Figure $3-4k to get these things sorted out right, spaced over a couple seasons.
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       07-12-2013, 2:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
It's $$$ money to upgrade things like props, batteries, stereo and ballast system so make sure you understand what you're getting and/or try to get a boat already set up the way you like. Figure $3-4k to get these things sorted out right, spaced over a couple seasons.
To be honest I'd rather get a stripped boat. I won't have a ride without my touch on audio, ballast, leds, stargazer, etc. Trust me anything that does come with the boat will probably be for sale minutes after I buy it. I just need a boat that looks good, runs good, and is atleast mostly plumbed hence alot of my major issues with other brands.