Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through June 22, 2004

Old    handyman            05-21-2004, 8:18 PM Reply   
Has anyone built their own or had a towerbox built out of fiberglass? I want to build one to save cash but I am not sure what design to go with. I do want (4) 6.5" speakers and lights in it. If ya have pics please post.
Old    xtigeman            05-21-2004, 8:58 PM Reply   
Do a search. There are a few around.
Old     (forwaken)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-22-2004, 5:31 AM Reply   
http://80feetout.com Feel free to e-mail Paul and I am sure he'll be more-n-happy to help you.

Chad
Old     (ccryder)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-22-2004, 8:50 AM Reply   
You can check out the link in my profile if you are interested it building it yourself. If not, 80feetout is a mold from this design with a flat top to be more universal mounting instead of tower specific.
Old    whitevlx            05-22-2004, 9:06 AM Reply   
You can visit my website http://www.tytebox.com for some ideas, look in the gallery for a bunch of pictures.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-22-2004, 11:56 AM Reply   
If your really looking to build your own. I would suggest you contact Jim from the above post. He can make you some awesome plans which you can use to make a box. It will get a little costly and take a lot of time, but definitely worth it.
Old     (wakescene)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-24-2004, 10:51 AM Reply   
handyman...
Article
Photos
Old    handyman            05-24-2004, 11:20 AM Reply   
Thanks Kevin. Great descriptive writing. Anyone can build a box with your writing and pics. I appreciate it.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       05-24-2004, 1:45 PM Reply   
Make sure you put a couple lights facing down into the boat. When I was working on our boat at night, I bungeed a couple 12" flouorescent lights to the tower and plugged them into the wall. The light is so much better up there than in the usual 'courtesy light' locations.

When we do get out on the lake at night (4th of July, fireworks, Havasu, hint hint) I sure wish I had light up there - not flourescent lights, maybe LEDs or something. Good, strong, clear light is nice to have at times (looking for keys, insect spray, the last beverage, etc.)
Old     (jwag)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-24-2004, 4:15 PM Reply   
go to the alpine site and look at their builds, I learned alot from just looking at the pictures. Others have used felt; I did not get good results until I used speaker cloth that you can find at your local fabric store. Then go to westmarine or wherever and pick up some all purpose resin and cloth and layer away. Look for my past thread, it has pics of the box I made that is yet to be finished.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-24-2004, 4:25 PM Reply   
GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT!!!
Old    handyman            05-24-2004, 5:13 PM Reply   
Great idea Derek.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-24-2004, 10:34 PM Reply   
Feast your eyes on this:

http://svtsupercharged.com/gallery/album08

I know someone made some comment about Grant being a showoff or some junk like that, but daaaaaaang, it's a shame to not see stuff like that!
Old    spicoli            05-25-2004, 7:58 AM Reply   
grants work is sick, my .02. he's in the top 5% of installers for sure.