Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-16-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
For you that own or have own these.. what are pro's and con's of this boat. Any known problems for that particular era. Carbed vs EFI, Interior, Steering etc... Thanks in advance -- I am alos in the market for one of these..Thanks in advance for the replies...
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-16-2006, 8:27 AM Reply   
Mine has ben great. Carburated 350. I removed the ski pole for a cleaner look and to avoid personal injury.
Upload
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-16-2006, 8:38 AM Reply   
Aaron, weren't you going to sell yous at one time?
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-16-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
Joshua

Here is a video I made in 04 of my 01 Launch. This boat is NOT for sale. I sold my boat back in 04 to a guy and we have become friends. It still runs great. This boat is NOT for sale. We weighted 700 front, 350 on floor in front of rear seat, 400 rear tank, and 350 rear locker. I still miss her but my 21V makes me feel all better. Enjoy the video
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php/2001-Supra-Launch-for-sale_wakeboarding-photos.html?medid=9832
Old     (kristin_ware)      Join Date: Jun 2006       10-16-2006, 6:33 PM Reply   
That was a really cool video.
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-17-2006, 5:42 AM Reply   
Chris, what weight and where for the surf wake.. also how well did the rear locker hold up w/ that weight back there? any cracking? thanks for the video. that was great...
Old     (dcooper)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-17-2006, 9:56 AM Reply   
Aaron, have I seen pictures of your boat, on here, with the tower down?

If so, is there anything I should know about lowering mine, same tower on 01 Supra.
Thanks!
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-17-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
Joshua

The Weight for wakesurf was front bag full, rear floor sac full, drivers side rear locker sac full, empty passanger side rear locker sac, and all my friends hanging off the tower on the drivers side. You will have to learn to surf switch if your left forward. As far as the rear locker a 350 tube sac fits perfect and and no problems on the weight. 01 was the first year for the hippo system so I did a custom install. Back then I still ran slalom so I split the rear locker to 2x175 custom bags to gain control of wake balance on the fly. It worked great for surfing. I wish my 21V had as good of a surf wake as my 01 Launch.

(Message edited by redsupralaunch on October 17, 2006)
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-17-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
thanks chris....

have any of you purchased a fitted cover from Overtons for this boat (sharkskin)
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-17-2006, 4:04 PM Reply   
D. Cooper
Here is the pic with the tower down. I sent you a P.M.
Upload
Upload
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       10-17-2006, 6:33 PM Reply   
I have spent lots of time in several different ones in that year range. Great boat. The hull handles well, and is capable of producing a top notch wake. The towers are built really well for that era. The hull feels a little hollow/flexy in rougher water, but I've never seen one with a lot of stress cracks or anything. They also handle rough water very well.

There are only a few little things I can think of that I am not impressed with. The vinyl doesn't last very long, the front seat bases have a tendency to fall thru the storage access holes if stood on the wrong way by big guys, and the dash / gauges could be a little better. The gauge needles do this weird fluttering thing when you turn the key on & off, and the speedos aren't very accurate and/or are difficult to adjust (non-issue with PerfectPass, though).
Old     (wags)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-18-2006, 6:01 PM Reply   
I have a '99 sunsport dd with the 325 hp MPI assault. This boat shares the same hull design with the 99 Launch. My friend has a 2000 launch dd with the 320 hp carburated assualt.

Functionally, the engines are the same in warm/hot weather. That is to say that either will get the job done well when heavily weighted, though the mpi starts better in spring/fall. The MPI engine is also noticably smoother during acceleration, and will provide better fuel economy.

The vinyl on my friends launch is hard and cracking, but maybe due to harsh cleaning products and more exposure to the sun. The vinyl on my 99 is still soft and without tears(other than scuffs on the rear deck from fins).

One problem I've had to deal with on the 99 is a safety ball valve on the outgoing fuel line at the tank. If I run hard for a few hours and then chill for a bit the ball will freeze when I start up again and the boat runs choppy for awhile or will starve of fuel completely. Its only a $10 part, but I've had this happen once each of the last 2 summers and it can kill a perfect day.

My friend has gone through 3 oil sensors in 2 summers on his engine, which can also ruin a perfect day.

We both purchased our boats used and have never had functional speedometers. The MPI will hold rpm a little better, but both are easy to maintain a consistent pull.

Regardless of the problems, we have both been extremely happy with the wakes and performance. I would definately buy another supra.