Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       11-29-2008, 3:28 PM Reply   
I'm seeing if I can put together a wake 'n surf vacation in Costa Rica and would like to have some input.
Here's about what I'm thinking of:

4 Days wakeboarding (Lago Arenal)
2 Days surfing (Playa Sámara)
Incl:
- transportation (from/to airport, to Sámara)
- lodging and (all) meals
- use of equipment (wake/surf) + coaching
- canopy zip-line tour
- 1 night at Tabacon Hot Springs (5-star resort)

Program:
1 – Arrival, transport to Arenal
2 – Wakeboarding
3 – (1/2 day) Wakeboarding + canopytour + Tabacon
4 – Wakeboarding
5 – (1/2 day) Wakeboarding + transport to Playa Sámara (+surfing)
6 – Surfing
7 – (Surfing+) Transport to Airport (surfing on day 5 or 7 depending on tides)

In Arenal people will stay in a hotel with swimming pool.
In Playa Samara they'll stay in a nice and small hostel, only meters from the beach and 2 minutes from the surfschool. Playa Samara is one of the nicest spots to learn how to surf, but is also challenging for better surfers and has several expert-spots within a few miles.
Here's a link to the hotsprings: http://www.tabacon.com/hot-springs. It's something you MUST have experienced when you've been to this area. Ultimate relaxation...
The canopy tour: http://www.canopy.co.cr/description_costa_rica_canopy_tours.htm

Now I'm wondering: what do y'all think is a fair price for all this (ex flight)?
Would you mind staying in a pretty basic hostel in Samara or would you strongly prefer some more luxury in a hotel?
Would you rather have more surfing? Or none at all, just wakeboard?
Rather stay longer, and maybe combine it with kiting? Any other thoughts? I'd really appreciate hearing them.

Thanks already!
Old     (element8456)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-29-2008, 5:10 PM Reply   
I'd say not kiting because for a learner you need to know how to control the kite before you can go on the ocean which is hard. A standard hotel also if you are out wakeboarding/surfing all day its does'nt matter to much you will only be there there at night. Not sure on prices.
Jack

(Message edited by element8456 on November 29, 2008)
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-29-2008, 5:10 PM Reply   
i like what your thinking here. i would say for a better shot at waves and a better night life go to nosara, casa tucan, surf guiones a few steps away. let me do some math and ill get you a good fair figure. for someone looking to have a do it all good time this would work. i might even have to come down and help you as a guide. thats like home sweet home for me, especially if you want a surf guide for the more experienced. i know the guanacaste like the back of my hand.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       11-30-2008, 10:45 AM Reply   
Thanks guys!
For kiting you would need an extra week. We do the kiting at Lago Arenal as well, not on the ocean. Nevertheless, you'd need 5 days to learn it and to be able to enjoy it, imo.
Bryan, keep those thoughts coming! Nosara is a good option as well. How's that for absolute beginners?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       11-30-2008, 11:46 AM Reply   
samara has always been flat when I have been there. go to nosara
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       12-02-2008, 7:16 PM Reply   
OK, I'll check Nosara/Casa Tucan out. Is there a surfschool around that you can recommend? I remember one or two, but don't know their names and whether they're OK or not.