Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 12, 2008

Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-02-2008, 11:20 AM Reply   
who know's what this is?

I heard they were using a new judging format. Is this it?
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-02-2008, 11:26 AM Reply   
June issue of WBM page 96 explains it.
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       05-02-2008, 11:28 AM Reply   
i havent even cracked that one yet! still mulling over the new standerd...
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-02-2008, 11:31 AM Reply   
D.R.I.V.E stands for Difficulity-Risk-Intensity-Varity-Execution
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       05-02-2008, 1:06 PM Reply   
*sorry...quick hijack*

Randy: Ryan is okay....up and walking around....MRI next week....not sure when he'll ride again.

*end hijack*
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-02-2008, 11:20 PM Reply   
From the highlites of the wake games, it seems to have changed the way the pros are contest riding. Instead of trying to go super technical, they have to mix it up.
I look forward to seeing what contest runs will look like later on in the season.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-03-2008, 8:07 AM Reply   
They are gettin ranked on a more diverse style of riding. I read the article. They wanted to put more emphasis on people who are throwing style into their tricks and taking them big instead of turnin it into a "spin and flip fest". They're gonna have a judge for each different aspect of the scoring system. It'll be interesting to see if some new faces appear on the podiums with this format, ie: Randall, Lyman and things. Might be hard considering Danny and alot of those guys can do it all, big and tech at the same time. Looking forward to seeing it all at Nationals in Kenosha this year for sure.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-03-2008, 8:48 AM Reply   
The DRIVE scoring system will be used for Pro men and Pro woman, Jr. men will ride under the old 3 judge format for 08.
Old     (projectely4)      Join Date: Apr 2003       05-03-2008, 9:25 AM Reply   
shane is gonna tear it up this year on tour with the new format. Randall will definately be a competitior as well. I think this new format is gonna allow the riders that are very smooth and precise and stylish to compete with the guys throwing the helicopter manuevers. definately a good direction for wake comps.

I hate comps but I may enjoy watching the tour this year as it wont be a hucked mobe after mobe every pass.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-03-2008, 9:53 AM Reply   
I do think you will see a few different faces here and there, but to be honest, the best guys are the best guys, period. They will adapt their riding to fit the format no matter what it is. It has been that way since the start of the Pro Tour. But, it will be a lot more visually appealing and easier for most people to understand and connect with.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       05-03-2008, 10:43 AM Reply   
i have to agree with travis on this, only because I think back to when the tour switched from the attack sheets to the expression session format. It was definitely a lot more fun to watch, and the riders themselves looked like they were having a lot of fun. It did bump up a few new names temporarily, and I think gregg necrason was finally able to get a tour win...but those that were rippers were always rippers.

But I think the presentation aspect is super important, just so you can continue to build interest in the art...and also, i like the idea of it some how being gratifying for the riders.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-03-2008, 11:18 AM Reply   
I thought it was interesting how one of the first pro riders (excited about D.R.I.V.E.) to be quoted in the mag about the new judging criteria was Soven. I don't mean to start up a Soven has style or not conversation of B.S. as is often seen on W.W. I just thought it was kool, and ironic from a W.W. community stand point of view.

I wonder how much of the "freeriders" will start entering more contests because of the new way. Deffinately will give guys like Randal a chance... and maybe Byerly will show up again more often?

(Message edited by wakerider111 on May 03, 2008)
Old     (lfxstar)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-03-2008, 11:39 AM Reply   
Yeah its funny to think people only think of lyman or harris gigantic spins into the flats. Do you honestly think if you told harf, phillip, or rusty to drop a backside 180 20 feet out, they couldn't do it? HAHA If anything it will take away from riders like Lyman because now, he won't be the only guy doing what he does coupled with the crazy tech moves the other riders have. Now as for the Vandall, it will help him because he goes huge and tech.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-03-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
Kyle nailed it. And as Travis said, the big dogs are still the big dogs and will adjust to what the judges are looking for.