Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old    robertt            06-05-2006, 8:14 PM Reply   
I bought some XXL Temets last year, and love them except it takes me about ten minutes to get back out. I know all the tricks, and the best way is to get it under me like I was standing on it and pretty much jump out. It sucks, it hurts, and its not worth it. I have to thrash thirty or forty times to get one foot out.

I have huge feet, size 14....the bindings are super tight. I need a ton of lube just to get into them.

Anyway, two questions.

1. Has anyone tried to make their binding more slick by spraying them with food grade silicone or something like that? Yep...I know its not safe and you dont want to come out of your bindings but I simply do not think that is a concern.

2. What replacement bindings are out that are SUPER easy to get out of when you need to? How are the new hinge type bindings?

Anyone else have this problem? I could get out of my other bindings no problems at all, but man the temets are HARD.

Ideas?
Old     (carcrz)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-05-2006, 8:19 PM Reply   
My friend has a size 15 & is wearing some older XXL bindings from Hyperlite. He hasn't complained about their fit, or at least around me. I think you may want to check into a larger set of bindings. They really shouldn't be that difficult to get out of.
Old    walt            06-05-2006, 8:22 PM Reply   
Dear Yeti,

Try sticking a Soft ball or some other item that is bigger than your big ass foot into your binding then put it in hot water and let it soak. It should stretch it out a bit.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-05-2006, 8:25 PM Reply   
The Hindge tech CWB bindings are the answer to your pains. With size 14 feet you might still have to adjust the overlays, but once you get your Hindge boots dialed in, you can get in and out easily without lube.

Another thing you might consider is bindings with Lycra inside on the heel and back overlay. Once the heel breaks loose, your foot slides out.

The Hindge tech comes on the Zues, Torq, and soon the Faction.

The Lycra can be found in the CWB Zeus and Deuce.
Old    robertt            06-05-2006, 8:34 PM Reply   
Does the hinge thing really get it loose?

This is hard to explain...but the only place it is tight is on the top of my foot as it is being pulled out. Its not too tight at all once I am in, but getting out the top of my foot binds to the front part of the binding while my heel is forced into the back. It feels like the strap is still on...but of course it is not.

Old    walt            06-05-2006, 8:37 PM Reply   
Robert,

I own a pair of the 06 XL Zues and have a 13 foot. They were a little tough at first but are fairly easy for Me to get in and out of now with out lube.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-05-2006, 8:39 PM Reply   
the watson and shane bindings are also REALLY EASY TO GET INTO AND OUT OF....go to the liquid force site and check out the videos they have on those bindings....its crazy.
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       06-05-2006, 10:04 PM Reply   
I have the Torq bindings and I love them. I don't even use lube to get into them. I have size 11 and I use the L/XL Binding size. You would need WAY bigger but the whole back folds down. Only complaint I have heard, not from me, is that they don't go high enough up your shin/ankle for support but I don't notice it.
Old     (ivyrider)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-05-2006, 11:39 PM Reply   
Robert: check with Scott (sherman). He's got a hard to fit foot, and we always had a heck of a time getting his board off. It usually took an extra person. He just got new bindings, and he is able to slip out pretty well. I think its the front part of the foot that is hard to fit, too. He is really happy with them, and get get out of them pretty quick too. Unfortunately, I dont recall what they were.
Old     (plooky)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-06-2006, 6:51 AM Reply   
i'm not suprised your struggling. my feet are an 11 i had a pair of xl temets and i struggled like hell to get outta them. so bad it sometimes took 2 people to to help take my board off!
Old    robertt            06-06-2006, 7:39 AM Reply   
Aaron....imagine 14s!!!!!!! The hinge tech ones look like they would solve my problems.

Torq or Zeus???
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-06-2006, 7:50 AM Reply   
They would and they will. the 07 CWB Factions are coming into shops this month and they have the hinge tech and they mold to your feet and are so damn cumfy.
Old    robertt            06-06-2006, 7:58 AM Reply   
Done deal.

Two questions.

1. Anyone know how much the Factions will be compared to the Torqs?

2. What is the cheapest place to buy CWB gear online? No local shops to speak of, and the ones that are here are really boat dealers that sell for double the online prices. Stupid if you ask me.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-06-2006, 8:02 AM Reply   
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

your retarted, i can get out of my bindnigs ahahahahhahahahahahahah!

go back to kneeboarding!
Old    robertt            06-06-2006, 8:05 AM Reply   
Andy,

I wonder which would be easier, removing my foot from the Temets or from your ass?

Old    hyperlite_m            06-06-2006, 8:13 AM Reply   
yeah i had a problem like that last summer my brother hooked me up with a pair of LF Ultra's and they were medium and i have a size 10 foot... yeah i had to make my way back on the platform with the board put more soap in the bindings then have two people stand on my board and help pull me out... i'll never wear ultra's again!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       06-06-2006, 8:17 AM Reply   
PROBABALY MY ASS!! There is a trick to getting out of bingings, sorry for laughing but I hear that complaint all the time.
Old    robertt            06-06-2006, 8:20 AM Reply   
No worries, I actually laughed for the first time today.

I think I know the tricks. I dont mind a little pain getting out of bindings, but believe me its hard.

I broke my foot/ankle skydiving about five years ago splatting on a building, and lost a little flexibility from that. My right foot is the one that I have the most problems with, my left (non injured) is still freakin hard but not like the right.

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-06-2006, 8:45 AM Reply   
Robert. Have you tried stretching your bindings?

Sticks a beer can under the toe.
Old    robertt            06-06-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
Its not the toe. The toe is fine....probably too big.

Its that they do not open enough across the front of my ankle. The top of my foot gets bound against the front of the boot.

Picture trying to shove a 2' long piece of 2x4 through a pipe with a 90 degree fitting in it.

Once I am in....its super comfy.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-06-2006, 8:56 AM Reply   
Price wise the CWB Factions are in between the Torq and the Zeus, most shops will be selling them for around 279.99
Old    sking55405            06-06-2006, 9:42 AM Reply   
I just got the torqs as an upgrade from a pair of couple year old nices and i love the hinge tech. It does kind of come loose while im riding but i think all i have to do is tighten them but they are the best.
Old     (maxx_wake)      Join Date: Sep 2003       06-06-2006, 10:04 AM Reply   
I have a size 15 foot and have worn the xxl Temets for a year or two now without any problems.

What I do to get mine off is hold the toeside edge of the board with both hands right in front of my left foot and then push my left foot out. I then grab the nose of the board with my left hand, toeside edge right above right foot with right hand, and then i push on the middle of the board with my left foot to get the right boot off. Sounds complicated but it works pretty well for me.
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-06-2006, 10:08 AM Reply   
i got some xxl byrleys my friend wore with size 14...if u want to try them maybe by them let me know

(Message edited by wkbrdr on June 06, 2006)
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-06-2006, 10:20 AM Reply   
They make the Zeus' in a XXL and it'd make your life much easier. Highly recomended.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-06-2006, 10:50 AM Reply   
I had the same issue with some Hyperlite Highbacks that shrank over the winter....thought I was breaking my ankle to get out! I put them on in a hot tub, stretched back and forth, and side to side, then stuck two 20 oz. plastic soda bottles in the top and toe...kinda wedged in. You can take the caps off and crush the plastic get them in and to remove after a few days of stretching....mine are all comfy now. If your foot is that big, you may want to try the 1 liter...32 oz. size!!

DC
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-06-2006, 12:47 PM Reply   
I bought a spare board that had Lg Temets on it. I have size 9 feet and couldn't get out of them to save my life and I normally wear a md. binding. Also, they were way to busy with all of the adjustments. Personally I didn't care for them.........
Old     (steve2u)      Join Date: May 2006       06-06-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
I'm waiting to try on the Factions. The hinge tech (Zeus and Torq) were the only bindings that felt really comfortable for my foot...and I tried on a lot of bindings. I didn't have any pressure points with them and zero lift in the heel.
Old    robertt            06-06-2006, 1:14 PM Reply   
Temets are super comfy when on, and probably a great binding, but mine are going on ebay.

Where can I buy the CWB stuff cheap with decent service?
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-06-2006, 1:29 PM Reply   
Robert i sent you a PM
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-06-2006, 1:56 PM Reply   
Robert,

I also wear a 14.... I am going to look at the Fuse and Deuce.

That said, I pulled on a pair of LF Transits last week and my foot has never felt better in a pair of bindings in the 25(?) odd years of pulling boards/skis on my feet.

Not a fan of the hinge, not a fan of the BOA system....both seem too gimicky(WORD?) to me.

For whatever that is worth......
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       06-06-2006, 3:12 PM Reply   
i've got a sz 13. i'm sure the CWB hinge would definitely help. I've got XL LF Sphynx that I've been pretty happy with. I could use the XXLs but they're still really easy to get in and out of. don't really need lube, just makes it easier. 'nother vote for LF.
Old     (travis_briscoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-06-2006, 4:55 PM Reply   
I ride LF Ultra's, which are arguably some of the most difficult bindings to get in and out of if you don't know what you are doing.

The way to get out of any binding that is difficult is by grabbing the board with both hands on the front rail (mute and indy) while you are in the water, and pulling towards you. While you pull the front rail towards you, point your toes and you will feel your feet coming out.
Old    crash_vin            06-06-2006, 5:44 PM Reply   
i love all the tricks on gettn out of bindings,it was great, thanks
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-06-2006, 11:31 PM Reply   
Robert -

I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I had a pair of Hyperlite bindings and I could get in them pretty easy, but they never released in bad falls and getting them off involved causing damage to my foot and wearing out my arms. It made wakeboarding a chore and I was getting more hurt and worn out getting off the water than riding on it.

I tried on a bunch of bindings, including the CWB Torq and Zeus. I went with the Liquid Force Watsons as recommended by some others on this thread. They are so easy to get in and out of once broken in (just takes two or three sessions in them to break in). I release from them easily in bad falls and can get in and out of them nearly hands free. But the best part is that when in them, your heels and ankles are locked in solid! They have better hold and are more comfortable than the CWB bindings. The choice was really easy for me after going into a store and trying them all out at the same time. But the CWB would be my second or third choice (maybe after the Liquid Force Shane). I am happy now after going through the same issue as you. No matter what you get, you ought to be happier than you are now.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-07-2006, 7:20 AM Reply   
Unfortunately, LF only offers a limited selection of bindings in Magnum(see size 14 foot)....the Watson's are not one of them....neither is the Shane(to my knowledge).
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-08-2006, 10:54 AM Reply   
you could cut your toes off....that would get you to fit.
Old    osoyoosmaristar            06-11-2006, 11:33 PM Reply   
Nice to hear I'm not the only one with this problem. I have XXL Murray's and it takes me a good 5 minutes to get out of them. Just as Robert said, it is the top of my foot which binds in the top part of the binding. Been looking at the new CWBs. WIth a size 14-15 foot, would a CWB XXL Hinge be big enough? Do they come unhinged often?
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-12-2006, 3:44 PM Reply   
This thread makes me less self-concious about being 6'Tall with a size 8.5 shoe. I have zero problems getting in and out of my bindings. Also, my toes don't hang over the edge of my board like buzzard tallons the way some of my friend's do.
Old     (longhornfan)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-12-2006, 3:45 PM Reply   
Cue the Napolean Dynamite-"Will the chicken's have large talon's?" joke.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-12-2006, 4:38 PM Reply   
Not to say that you should get new bindings, but I am size 14, and have XL temets. The best way to get out of them, is to kick out. Just pull the board to your chest, try to point your toes, then push the board as hard as you can out, and pull them back really fast. The boots will be off in usually 1-2 kicks. I love them.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-12-2006, 5:50 PM Reply   
I have 15"s and rode many bidnings that were XL and currently Parks XXL. IT's about technique, not size of the bindings. See, size does'nt matter.....
Old     (crracer)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-12-2006, 6:12 PM Reply   
www.gotriver.com
Awesome guys, amazing prices. Rob check em out ask for Josh,
You'll be very satisfied with them and CWB
Good Luck