Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old    bobbymucic            03-09-2005, 4:34 PM Reply   
Starting to think about a summer trip.
How is big bear lake? We would tow the boat up there and stay in lakeside rental with dock.
As far as being close to non-wakeboarding stuff, it seems it might be better than nacimiento. We would be going up on a family trip with kids/babies, so being close to town would be nice.

Is the lake blown out and crappy most of the day?
Is naci a much better choice (we would stay at oak shores)?

Thanks
Old     (wakestar8878)      Join Date: Oct 2003       03-09-2005, 5:49 PM Reply   
I can get you a deal on a house to rent in Oak Shores, if you want. Hit me up wakestar@gmail.com
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-09-2005, 8:05 PM Reply   
Bobby,
Big bear sucks for wakeboarding. Big round open lake with no channels or arm . Lots of boats and See doo's. The water is always cold and the altitude screws up your engine. ( Air-fuel Mixture- with a carb engine). Naci is so much better . Not even a comparison.

Now dont get me wrong Big bear lake is beautiful and the town is kind of cool to hang out in for a few days but for wakeboarding there is no comparison.

Good luck
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-09-2005, 8:18 PM Reply   
I'd suggest Naci, but before i do, give the dates you plan on being there & I'll let you know if it's good or not. Naci is sooooooo much better that it really isn't fair to compare the two. Besides Paso Robles is only 25 minutes from Oak Shores & if the Mid State Fair is going on you have instant Carni/poo kicking fun!! Hooray!!
Old    bobbymucic            03-09-2005, 8:40 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input so far.

E-W-U 360 (Eric, right?)
That's what I needed to hear to make up my mind.
I forgot about the cold water. Not above 68 during the summer. Air temps in the 80's. Naci would be much more summer-like.

I've been to naci plenty, I was just thinking big bear might be nice since we would be right in town.

I think Naci will be it. I'm still working on the place. I've stayed in the cabins at the marina, as well as oak shores.

Shawn, I've just emailed you....

Stephan, the plan is sometime mid july to august.

Old     (rock_n_boardin)      Join Date: May 2003       03-10-2005, 7:11 AM Reply   
Yeah Big Bear is nice. I go there a lot as my parents have a kick a@@ cabin up there. But this might help your decision. Though I go there a lot and in summer time too, I only bring my boat for the 4th of July to watch the fireworks from. Otherwise it's not worth it to drag it up the mountain.

But that might change this year as they received a lot of new water and the lake has gained almost 12 feet of new water with all the rain we received this winter taking it up to 5 feet from capcacity!

But still, what was said above holds true. You have to get on the water at 7AM for any decent conditions and the water is on the cold side.
Old     (apmullaly)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-10-2005, 10:03 AM Reply   
I don't know about Big Bear, but we go to Naciemento every year. Huge group of people, 3-6 boats, multiple motorhomes and tents. Kids from 2 months to teenagers. Always have a great time. We take over a bunch of connected camp sites and don't leave for a couple of weeks.
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-10-2005, 11:18 AM Reply   
No town is one of the reasons we like going to Naci, as it's totally layed back. But they still have a store and restaurant there if you need it. Plus Paso Robles is only like 20 minutes away, gotta hit up Big Bubbas BBQ if your there. I'd bring a TV & DVD player if your staying at the condos to keep the kids entertained, as there isnt any in the rooms. The lake gets pretty churned up on weekends after 9am, but weekdays are usually awesome.
Old     (paulsmith)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-10-2005, 10:42 PM Reply   
Big Bear is one of my favorite places. Now that the water level is back up, we are probably going up with our boat this summer and will be renting a lakefront place. However, what has been said is absolutely true. Only good water is early morning, and it's on the chilly side.

You can't beat if from the relaxation standpoint though. We'll be up there 9 days. Can't friggin' wait.
Old     (wakechallenged)      Join Date: Oct 2004       03-11-2005, 10:26 PM Reply   
Tried Big Bear once -- not the place for wakeboarding..... cold and windy too. Bass Lake out of Fresno is a beautiful mountain lake that will give you the same "Big Bear Lake" feel but its tons warmer. You get about an hour of good water in the AM and an hour or two at dusk but the rest of the day is tubing/boating only due to high traffic.

Lakefront house at Naci? I haven't found any. I usually do a week at Naci and camp half a week and hotel half a week. I'd totally dig a house on/near the water but haven't found a rental site/agent for that.

I'll second Bad Bubba's and even toss in a plug for the diner next door for breakfast.

(Message edited by wakechallenged on March 11, 2005)
Old    angels5            03-13-2005, 7:53 PM Reply   
Naci, we go every year with a huge group. Weekends are packed, but weekdays are great. We have friends who have a place on the lake & the levels are way up this year. They do rent it out, but the weeks go fast, usually the same people every year.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-14-2005, 2:32 PM Reply   
Ray, see Shawn Wilson' post above. His Mom handles that. You should be able to find a place in Oakshores or Heritage or ______. Email him & he will put you in contact with someone who does know.

Might i also suggest Lake San Antonio, twenty minutes past Naci. I prefer Nac though...