Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old    wickedwake            08-03-2005, 10:10 AM Reply   
Im riding with a guy this weekend that has been nice enough to take me out on his boat. Since I dont have a boat I jumped at the chance. I was just wondering how much gas $$$ you should give if someone takes you out like this? I have no idea how much riding I will get to do, but is there some standard I should abide by? Or just by all of the gas? thanks!
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-03-2005, 10:13 AM Reply   
Depends on the boat and how much you ride. If I give 2 rides I expect atleast $10 bucks. Got that this morning for giving Cliff a ride also. With my boat that's plenty and will get anyone invited bak.
Old     (actiondcpd)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-03-2005, 10:30 AM Reply   
I usually give a min of 20 bucks if you want to get asked back. Make sure you help out with rope/sacs/boards/cleaning/etc. Bring beer and snacks and you will be the new favorite 3rd.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-03-2005, 10:35 AM Reply   
$10 per set is the norm for my friends.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-03-2005, 10:36 AM Reply   
$10.00 for two pulls might fly once or twice, but eventually I would cut you off. At that rate, it's costing me to take you out. A loaded boat I figure burns about 4 gallons of gas for a lengthy pull.

Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-03-2005, 11:01 AM Reply   
Yeah definitely depends on boat, first we don't charge on our boat (parents pay-no problem there). Second, like J-Rod said it would cost him to take you for 10 bucks and two pulls, but my buddy I go with at school, I give him $15 and I know that it's more than my fair share. But he also has to drive his truck there so I buy beer and always offer him food. PLus you have to factor the expense of getting into lake for truck/trailer and it all adds up as any boat owner can tell you. So in all I would say $20 is a fair amount.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-03-2005, 11:02 AM Reply   
yup $10 per set is good and always get invited back.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-03-2005, 11:06 AM Reply   
20 min.

ESPECIALLY if there is long tow involved to the riding spot.

(Message edited by stanfield on August 03, 2005)
Old     (sdub)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-03-2005, 11:17 AM Reply   
Error on the high side. There is more to owning a boat than just the gas costs. $20 min.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-03-2005, 11:25 AM Reply   
10 to 20 bucks would be good, depending on how long you're out/ how long you ride per set and if the boat is really weighted down it'll burn a lot of gas. Just as important is offering to help out.... OFFER (some people may prefer to do these things themselves so ask first) to get the boards down and put them up, pull in the rope after a rider is done w/ a set, and stay after to help put everything away, etc. Bringing some drinks (ask what they prefer as not everyone allows alcohol on their boat) is always good..especially more than your share. If you bring more then the driver may say you'll have to come back to drink the rest that'll be left in the cooler. :-) Just bring a great attitude, help out and pay what you can and you'll be invited back... Oh, and don't ride better than the owner! ha ha!! That's why no one can come out on my boat!
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-03-2005, 11:26 AM Reply   
$15 a session.

i would usually give $20 the 1st time to get an invite, then $10 the next, then $20, mix it up, but make sure you help w/ cleanup and gear, as long as the rider gives me something im happy, doesnt matter if its $5 or $50, i'd rather have a guy give me $10 and wipe down all my seats w/ a damp towell while im taking down the rope than a guy that just sits there and gives me $20.
Old     (nautyboy)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-03-2005, 11:31 AM Reply   
Gas is just the tip of the ice burge when it comes to operating expenses. But, a typical boat owner didn't buy a boat to make a profit off of friends, they bought it to have a good time. If you pitch in $10 a pull, you should have no problems at all. Also, be considerate of the other expenses, especially food and beer.

I invited a group of 4 people out this past weekend, and they rode mulitple times each, and they ate our food, and they drank our beer. When I dropped everyone at the dock, they were like "thanks", and they split. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER again are they getting an invite. Remember, You only got one shot at a first impression.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-03-2005, 12:48 PM Reply   
I think the easiest way to do this is to just go to the gas station. Hopefully the owner starts the day with a full tank, at the end of the day go to the gas station with him and top it off. Make sure the owner doesnt pay for ANY of the gas at all, as he has a payment and insurance to worry about. If there is more than one "guest" just split the gas evenly...then you know that your not costing the owner money. Trust me, if you are not paying the payment/insurance you are getting off cheap by filling up the tank. In addition to topping off his tank, throw him a few beers and your sure to be the first on the "who do I call" to ride list. Bottom line you can never overpay, but easily underpay.

www.wakecoupons.com
Old    wickedwake            08-03-2005, 1:09 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the advice guys. How long would you gusy consider a "fair" set? When me and my buddies go out and we have a crowded boat (with riders) we take 5 falls, and then your back in the boat. Other times it will just be two of us and we will spend 2 hrs at a time in the water. How long should I ride before I say "ok one more fall and Im done" Im new to all this mooching LOL. Well kinda.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-03-2005, 1:17 PM Reply   
I ride until I'm satisfied or pissed!
Old    wickedwake            08-03-2005, 1:22 PM Reply   
LOL...So I could get an hour or 2 minutes for 10$?
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-03-2005, 1:23 PM Reply   
I like Mikes idea, but in our situation without towing the boat it doesn't really work out. I kinda expect 4-5 gallons per rider on a weeknight pull. Right now that works out to about $15. On a weekend where we are out all day I kinda expect $20.

Our crew seems to always make it work out. We almost all have out own boats, so if one of them screws me one night I make sure to get them back next time on their boat.... Ha, ha. J/K
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       08-03-2005, 1:25 PM Reply   
I set the trip timer on my Perfect pass. I check the hours ran and multiply by 6. Example-

Gallons an hour 6

Time used 6

Gas price 2.75

Number of people 6

Equals $16.5

Then round up to the nearest 5 for gas in tow vehicle, launch, dinner, insurance, and maintance.

Just a referance. I usually just end up charging 20 for riders and 10 for spectators.

Just a guide.

Big ed, I will ride your sweet ride any day for 10 bucks. Where do I sign up for that?

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-03-2005, 1:25 PM Reply   
Yeah....see you in a few hours! I'll have the boat in the water when you guys show up.

I never stress gas money with our group.

Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-03-2005, 1:28 PM Reply   
How much gas do all your boats use? I've pulled approximately 6 WK boarder runs (me Cliff. Laci and Troy), 2 ski runs (me and my wife), tried puliing 2 beginers on a ski (Laci and a friend) and still have about half a tank (22 gal tank). My gauge is not wrong. So for me $10 is good.
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-03-2005, 1:44 PM Reply   
Can we do the bartering thing.... We all have wifes now, HUM.....
See you in a few.
Old    7ftdubup            08-03-2005, 2:27 PM Reply   
Clay, just split the gas straight down the middle with the guy if its just you and him, thats what we do and i always ask you back(even when you ride better than me, but thats only on sliders). if it cost 60 bucks to fill it up, give him 30, at least this time. Hell, he probably wont even take your money, that guy seems like one of the coolest guys ever.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-03-2005, 2:32 PM Reply   
Dave ~ on find a 3rd\be a 3rd!
Old    walt            08-03-2005, 5:05 PM Reply   
I think 20 bucks is the absolute minimum.

There are many hidden costs to owning and operating a boat.
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-03-2005, 5:27 PM Reply   
i find it odd that some of you actually charge your friends for rides.. IMO if you invite someone out to ride, you should not expect to be given anything in return, it is up to the rider however, to be a good friend, i.e. help wipe down, carry boards, help with gas, etc. and i think that they should do that if they wish to come back, but i think that charging people is a bad idea..
Old    walt            08-03-2005, 5:37 PM Reply   
Clinton, So your saying I should sponsor my friends Wakeboarding ?

If I had money falling out of my ass I wouldn't charge anyone but seeing how I don't if you want to ride on my boat your going to help pay for gas.

I have a feeling you might see this differently when you own your own boat and your throwing down 150.00 plus for gas.

Sorry if that sounds a little harsh but thats the way I see it.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-03-2005, 5:45 PM Reply   
Gotta agree with Walt. When I ride in some one elses boat I always contribute with gas money, clean up and even entrance fees on occasion.
Nothing in life is free and definetly should not expect free rides considering the cost involved
in being a boat owner.
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-03-2005, 5:49 PM Reply   
i am not saying the boat owner is obligated to take all of his friends out on his boat and obligated to pay for the gas, as i mentioned earlier, i believe it is the responsiblity of the rider/friend to pay for some gas and to help out however he/she can in order to get invited back, but i do disagree with a boat owner charging someone for a ride.. i.e. after the set, "that'll be twenty bucks minimum, dude" the owner should not expect anything but fun, but the rider should provide money/help if they want another ride, that is the bulk of the point i'm attempting to make..
Old    walt            08-03-2005, 6:01 PM Reply   
"that'll be twenty bucks minimum, dude"

There are no surprises like that on my boat....I'm always up front about it before the trip with new people unless it's their first time and then I don't care about the $$$.
Most of the people I ride with have their own boats or they are pro mooches so they know proper boat etiquette and don't need to be asked.
Old    socalgrl79            08-03-2005, 6:06 PM Reply   
I would never contribute less than $20. As Kevin said, nothing in life is free.

-Amy
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-03-2005, 6:06 PM Reply   
I see your point Clinton, and I must say I dont know to many boat owners(at least not the ones I know and ride with) ever come right out and ask for gas money. Is more of a etiquitte(sp) thing.
For most riders contributing with gas money is not an issue, considering all that is involved in a great day of riding that would not be possible without a boat. With that being said
I really dont think we boat owners expect gas money, but it is just considered common courtesy.
I mean where else for 20 bucks can you spend all day hanging out with friends, wakeboard, and just plain have a great time?
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-03-2005, 6:11 PM Reply   
i agree entirely kevin and walt and amy, i just got a little disgruntled when i read where someone posted "a charge people 20 bucks" i just can't see "charging" but if i mooch, i pay, and i see it as being right, i guess i argued a technicality and it was kind of pointless anyway, the moral of this story is, everyone be a good third, and just go out and have fun
Old    walt            08-03-2005, 6:14 PM Reply   
(everyone be a good third, and just go out and have fun).....That hit the nail on the head !
Old     (dudeman)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-03-2005, 6:37 PM Reply   
I know it's tough to scrap up $$$ when you're a student, but $20 and lending a hand if needed should definitely put you on the list to get invited back. Few beers doesn't hurt either. Don't give them the option about thinking who to invite back, let your name rise to the top of the list, killin' it or crashin' it, it's all good.
Old    wakeskirider            08-03-2005, 6:42 PM Reply   
Never less then $20. But, if I am going out for a full day meaning 5 hours plus I will give at least $40 and bring snacks, beer, and music. Its not the end of the world if the boat owner dosn't pay for any gas.
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-03-2005, 6:45 PM Reply   
I don't "charge" anybody, but if you don't kick in $$$ at the end of the day I'm going to "forget" to call you next time.

Sometimes when the day is done, if I'm in a good mood, have some extra money that month, or the conditions weren't all that, I'll give everyone their money back after they hand it to me. I'd still be offended even if on that day someone didn't offer to kick in for gas.

Add to it where we ride most of the time is an hour and a half towing the boat each way.
Old     (bradenb12)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-03-2005, 8:06 PM Reply   
I know how mooches work...ask him how much the gas costs and then decide.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-03-2005, 9:06 PM Reply   
well if you pull someone.....let them pull you next time.. thats what me and my buddy are doing.
his, mine, his, mine, his, mine.
Old     (nautyboy)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-03-2005, 9:27 PM Reply   
I find it funny how some people will throw down $35 bucks for a pizza and some beer, but they feel like $20 is too steep for a day of fun on a $60K boat.
Old    7ftdubup            08-03-2005, 9:48 PM Reply   
20 bucks gas money on a 60k boat and 2 bucks gas money on a 6k boat, is what i always say. Ya know if they save 54k on the boat they have plenty for gas.
Old    wickedwake            08-03-2005, 10:05 PM Reply   
We usually pitch in more than that for I ride behind the mighty Cobalt. How much is it worth? I might have to reasses my spending limits when I ride with you considering all the $$$ you saved intstead of buying lets say an 80k X-80....I think you should start paying me to ride behind you boat. Is that the logic we are going to carry to Wedowee from now on?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-03-2005, 11:12 PM Reply   
A $20 spot is standard if you go out for more than one ride, I don't accept more when people come on my boat. If I make the invite, I expect to pay the gas, if the riders offer money I may or may not accept, depends on my mood.
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-03-2005, 11:49 PM Reply   
I have to say from being both the boat source and the boat mooch, that it depends. If you are a buddy, well first of all you should be offering anyways it is your buddy's boat and he's hooking you up. However, if I invite a friend to come enjoy the day with me, I won't expect him to have to pay me, I offered for him to come out, that would be like giving someone a gift and then saying, "hey....um...by the way that cost 20 bucks so if you could just get that to me that would be great..." Now if you are mooching (not a friend but a third) then you are going into the situation fully aware of the fact that you are a complete guest and someone is doing you a favor (huge one). So you need to be offering the money in this situation.

Summar: You Invite friend-don't expect money, Friend invites you-should offer money (it's your damn friend help out), Moocher-offer generous amount of money
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       08-03-2005, 11:52 PM Reply   
Damn Dave I get about haalf the gas milage as you. Are you sure you want to upgrade your boat?

For me, bring 5 gallons of gas and you are good for the day. I know there are tons of other cost, but it's my boat and I am not going to charge my friends for the general upkeep and all the other incindental costs. I don't really get out much with people I don't know well, so I am just inviting friends over for a good time. Do all of you people that worry about all the other expenses, charge extra money when hosting a bbq to cover the cost of your mortgage, insurance, etc... or do you just say "bring some meat and beer"?

To answer Clay's question, I think you should offer $10.00 a pull if you are riding with someone for the first time. It will be appreciated and probably covers just your share of the gas in a heavilly weighted boat. After you ride with someone a couple of times, you should get a good idea what is or is not expected.
Old    7ftdubup            08-04-2005, 6:57 AM Reply   
the cobalt is worth 90k
Old     (djhuff)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-04-2005, 9:21 AM Reply   
Another thing that hasn't been covered. If you are a regular and you don't have enough cash on you, it's OK to say "I'll get you next time" but only if you mean it. Don't show up again without money.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       08-04-2005, 10:04 AM Reply   
why do you guys need gas $$ anyways, you have a boat so you must be rich, right?
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-04-2005, 10:12 AM Reply   
Brian ~ Go away...
Old    robertt            08-04-2005, 10:37 AM Reply   
Typically, only two kinds of people go out in my boat with me.

Those that have boats and we switch back and forth, and those that have no idea that they should help out.

I dont usually ask for gas, and when its offered I usually try not to accept.

Its all individual how people want to deal with it.

I can say this, if you ride with somebody that does not worry about gas, do something nice for them.

Buy them a nice handle every few months, maybe a new rope, come over one day to wax his boat, etc.

Its not the money, but if somebody came over with a new rope or something I would feel much more appreciated. At $10 or $20 per day if you ride with somebody for even a few days it is well worth it.
Old    sking55405            08-04-2005, 2:04 PM Reply   
i live on a lake and our neighbors are awesome so like during the day when the water sucks his dad will pull us tubing behind his deckboat then at night and in the morning we take him boarding. it seems loke a fair deal to me
Old     (dsw27)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-19-2005, 10:19 AM Reply   
I live on a lake and take a group of 5-8 guys boarding every week. Some of them offer to chip in for gas, others don't. I've never actually taken $ from them for it, but maybe I should be. I just usually ask one of them to bring a case of beer for the night but that means they have to do it once every 6 weeks or so. I guess with gas approaching $3/gallon I should reconsider. We are out there for only a couple hours total though before it gets dark and I probably only go through 7-8 gallons. $10/ person would be way more than I put in in gas.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-19-2005, 10:30 AM Reply   
20 bucks, a case of beer, and a nuglet or two.....that is a great way to get invited back unless your on a boat with straight edge people who don't drink and smoke.