Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-10-2009, 8:22 PM Reply   
We sold our I/O to get an inboard. Ended up with an 08 210 SANTE. We were able to get the family and some friends out in it today and had an absolute blast! We still have to play with the surf wake and dial it in, but will have great times getting there. So glad we made the move!

I want to say how happy I am with Bill at California Correct Craft. He was very laid back, yet stayed on top of things for us through the process. It was a leftover all white 08 SANTE 210. I was looking for an all white boat and it just so happened they had this one left. Most of the leftover boats I looked at through various dealers were a take it or leave it proposition. Hideous colors, trashed, parts missing, no warranty on sun damaged interior, no choices on extras such as stereo, bimini, or trailer. I was seriously turned off by all of the leftover boats I looked at (or turned off by the dealers that had them).

I looked at a lot of boats (new leftovers, new model years, and used) for several months and found California Correct Craft was the exception from the typical poor dealers I dealt with. They were willing to take off the tower speakers and credit me for them. I got to order my trailer and bimini exactly the way I wanted it. I can't say enough good things about the whole crew there, the whole purchase experience with them was awesome! If your looking for an inboard give them a shot. I looked at most inboards and am sure I would have been happy with any of them, but am really glad I bought what I did not only because it is a sweet boat, but more so because of my great experience with Bill and CCC.

Here are some pictures of the boat and my wife and daughter riding behind it.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-10-2009, 8:23 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Old     (badhabit)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-10-2009, 8:37 PM Reply   
Congrats....nice ride.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-10-2009, 8:49 PM Reply   
I have heard nothing but good things about California Correct Craft. Many of my friends have purchased boats from them. if I wasn't such a die hard Sanger guy, that's where I would buy my next boat!

Love white boats...never go out of style, enjoy!
Old     (absolutezero)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-10-2009, 9:04 PM Reply   
What was your old boat? Can you give a quick rundown of what you feel the pros and cons are of the new boat vs. the IO?
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-10-2009, 9:59 PM Reply   
My old boat was an 04 21' Crownline that I added a tower on. It was a good boat, it just didn't do what we wanted it to very well. It was very difficult to get a clean wake unless we were going too fast (at least 25mph) for us to wakeboard comfortably. Even when we got the wake clean and big with ballast it was very mushy. It was very hard to keep it on plane at any speeds lower than that with any sort of ballast in it. I was able to give my riders decent rides but it was very taxing as the driver. Accelarate, trim outdrive (had to do it everytime, wouldn't get on plane with it trimmed up), slightly turn whatever direction the rider was on to try and clean up the white wash on that wake, and keep a steady speed which was a PIA. I thought about adding a speed control but didn't want to drop that much money into this boat, when the other things were subpar anyways.

When a rider fell I would have to reverse the process and trim down. Was no fun as the driver. To top that off the only other person who could do all of this was my wife and she did the best she could, but again very taxing.

I also would not allow the kids (or anyone for that matter) to wakesurf behind the boat, which was a total bummer. I hated being the party pooper!

Here is a picture of it.....

Upload

(Message edited by ctimrun on September 10, 2009)
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-10-2009, 10:04 PM Reply   
beautiful boat, congrats.

is it me or does that trailer look like it has two spare tires on it? chrome tower + chrome windshield trim + chrome rub rail = chrome/aluminum wheels?
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-11-2009, 1:56 AM Reply   
Nice looking boat and family!
Old     (stxr_racer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-11-2009, 3:21 AM Reply   
Cool 210 in all white, very nice!
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-11-2009, 4:35 AM Reply   
Tim
You will love your new boat more and more as time goes by. I bought my 08 210 in Jan I now have 94 hours on her only problem was a locked up ballast pump [first time out]. For surfing I added Fly high V drive sacs 400lbs ea from Wakemakers. Now can surf with only 2 peeps on board. They can be plumed in the rear lockers in about 30 mins and work with the stock ballast system.
For yours fill whatever side you are surfing and 1/2 in the belly and have all peeps sit on that side and you are good to go. I see your wife surfs goofy I like the port side. Do you have the catanium engine its great for surfing. No doubt PCM is the best.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-11-2009, 5:20 AM Reply   
I love the all white 210 congrads.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-11-2009, 5:44 AM Reply   
Nice, I like the blacked out wheels too. Great looking boat!!!
Old     (johnny_gatsby)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-11-2009, 3:15 PM Reply   
Tim,

besides from the better water behind the new boat, can you provide any comments about how the new layout and boat make your boating experience easier or more comfortable. I am considering doing what you did and switching out the i/o for a v-drive.
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-11-2009, 3:24 PM Reply   
Tim i think i saw you going to the lake, on thursday about 6:45 i believe haha, were you in a big white dodge?
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-11-2009, 3:27 PM Reply   
Johnny, This year I also switched from my 2006 bayliner 175xt to a Sanger V210.. I loved my boat and stood up for it over all the bashing, but once I switched to the Sanger, I can say I would never go back.. my bayliner was very similar to your stingray. Run down of big differences for us.

1. Storage.. None/very little in the I/O to WOW nothing is ever seen. There is so much storage in a V drive.

2. Quiet. I thought my I/O was fairly quiet.. hahah

3. planing and porpousing (sp) my I/O would porpouse like crazy especially with the trim up a bit. My sanger does not porpouse at all

4. Speed control - I/O you are working to keep speed. My Sanger sticks at whatever speed I set it on

5. Overall WAKE - Its night and day and its not the height size.. its the thickness and meatyness of the wake. Its so much nice.

6. Surfing - We have always wanted to, and now we can

7. double axle trailer with brakes - towes alot better, smoother, added piece of mind of 4 tires vs 2, brakes really help

8. Roominess.. 6 people plus gear in your I/O and theres stuff all over the ground, ropes, vests, towels.. My sanger has so many compartments, nothing is ever on the floor, even between sets.

I can keep going.. Trust me its a move you want to make.
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-11-2009, 3:45 PM Reply   
Thanks for the compliments everyone!

Ryan - Yep that was us for sure! The lake was beautiful all day long. I only saw one other wakeboat all day, a Malibu but I think they left before 11am. Besides the fishermen we had the whole lake to ourselves. There was also very little wind so the water was in great shape, we didn't want to leave! The water level at Castaic was down quite a bit from the last time we were there about a month ago. Will it go much lower? Have you seen it lower than this before?

Johnny - The interior layout of my I/O was pretty nice, although I did not like the double captain chairs it had in it. I like the observer seat incorporated into the wrap around seating much better, so that is a big plus for us. I also really like the seating in the Nautiques because of the reversible rear bench seat to allow almost everyone in the boat to sit facing rear. I wasn't sure how we would like this, but once we tried it the seat stayed facing rear. I will probably rarely turn it back around now.

The exhaust is much quieter in the new boat versus the old one, not sure why, just design I guess. It may be partly because the engine is working so much less to get the boat up and keep it on plane compared to the I/O. On the old boat I used every bit of power to get the adults up and out of the water. Not so in this boat, I had a lot of power to spare. This effortless tow somehow translated into the boat feeling more solid, not sure how to explain this.

I would not allow the kids to surf behind the boat no matter how much they asked. Now we can surf, and from the little bit we did yesterday i think it will be very popular!

I can't reiterate how much less taxing it was on the driver to give pulls. Just push, go, and steer, it is that easy. No trimming or fighting to stay a constant speed or trying to keep it on plane. the zero off speed control in this boat is AWESOME!

I hope that helps! If you are into water sports like we are you will love being in an inboard over the I/O!
Old     (johnny_gatsby)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-11-2009, 5:56 PM Reply   
Thanks TP-encouraging words.
Old     (absolutezero)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-11-2009, 8:12 PM Reply   
Tim,

Any comment on the gas consumption of the new boat? I know it may be difficult to do in such a short time, but did you drop 2x the money on gas, or was it more reasonable?
Old     (absolutezero)      Join Date: Sep 2009       09-11-2009, 8:17 PM Reply   
BTW, when I first started my boat search, I looked at a lot of Crownlines. We have a dealer here in town and our lake is full of them. They are very nice, but I've always wanted a Ski (back when they were just ski) boat.

Is there anything at all that you miss about the Crownline?

P.S. I'd love to see more picturs of the SAN. I love the colors (or lack of) on your new boat. It's a boat that will still look great many years from now.
Old     (tjs_ccc)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-11-2009, 9:50 PM Reply   
Hey Tim,

We really appreciate you buying your boat from us at CCC and thanks for your kind words about Bill and my crew at CCC. These are tough times right now for everyone in this business. We have been doing this for 23 years and love customers like you that have a passion for your family and this sport we also love.

I know how hard you shopped and how many different boats you looked at. This was a big purchase and I appreciate your trust in us. Don't hesitate to let me know personally if you have any issues or problems.

All of us at CCC wish you and your family the best for many years to come.

Tim Sherwin
Owner/Pres of CCC
Old     (ctimrun)      Join Date: Aug 2009       09-12-2009, 7:42 AM Reply   
Nick - Since I have had very little time in the boat it is hard to know for sure, but I was definitely paying attention because it is obviously important to me. I have never really trusted a gas gauge in any boat I have had but this is what I found on our first full day on the water.

When we go out we rarely sit still, we like to make the most of being out on the water and love to come home exhausted after a long day at the lake. The 210 has a 40 gallon tank in it. From 7am to 2pm I put on about 6 hours on the boat and according to the gauge used about 1/4 tank which I was very pleased with. This was 80% wakeboarding and 20% surfing. This boat pulls so effortless I think it just uses less fuel. I have actually read a lot about the 343 PCM equipped Nautiqes doing very well on fuel when compared to other boats.

My I/O had a 46 gallon tank and I would have used at least half of that with a comparable day on the water. Remember pulling an adult out of the water with the I/O was always a full throttle start which sucks some serious gas.

Mhunter - Yes my boat has the catanium 343 in it. I thought I remember hearing that all California Nautiques have the catanium engines, but dont quote be on that, could be wrong, I did so much research on all the boats they are kind of blending together.

NickT - Crownlines are very nice boats, great quality for sure. I had heard the factory had shut down "temporarily" but then heard it may not reopen. Not sure what their status is. I loved our boat, we have many great family memories on that boat, but I really don't miss anything the Crownline had versus the new 210. After we have the 210 for a year or two I think our memories with this one will overshadow the others.

Tim - I know I am not telling you anything you don't already know, but here goes anyway. I knew I was not just buying a boat, but was entering a relationship with the mfg/dealer that I purchased from blah blah blah. So far CCC has not only met any expectation I had going in to this, but has in fact exceeded it. Bill went out of his way not only when I first looked at the boats you had, but through the buying process of our 210, and it has continued through post purchase assistance.

We probably would have been very happy with most of the high end wakeboats available, especially since we will NEVER be anything but a family out to have a great time. With this in mind I know because of our experience at CCC that we made the right boat/dealer choice.

Thanks for the well wishes. I hope CCC continues to fair well through these tough times and we look forward to not only us doing more business with you, but with our friends who are inquiring about the boat and the dealer we bought it from.
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-12-2009, 8:51 AM Reply   
Bill as in Bill Navarro? If so he is a great non-pressure, I hate to use this word, salesman and all around nice guy. He set me up in my Malibu in 2000. My good friends also bought a boat through him a few years ago. He knows his stuff, advises well and doesn't push extra crap on the buyer. He'll make you aware of it but the decision is yours.

Gratz on the new boat. No comparison between an IO and a "real" tow boat.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-12-2009, 9:10 AM Reply   
nice boat
Old     (tjs_ccc)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-12-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
To Tim and others asking about the PCM Catanium engine:

We are going into our 3rd year selling the PCM Catanium engines in our Nautiques. Because they are the ONLY cat motor with "pre and post" O2 sensors, the engine can run very lean very safely. What that means is you will get more power and better fuel economy than with non cat EFI or cat EFI with only pre sensors.

Most of our customers who have owned the same basic 350 EFI motors (either in a Nautique or the cat motors with only the pre sensors our competition runs) tell us they are sure the fuel usage is less and they notice more power with the Catanium motors.... We hear this from customers who have the 5.7 343hp, but especially hear that from the customers with the 6.0 PCM 409 hp.

The best part is you can safely run regular fuel and not worry about hurting the motor. (Some of our competitors motors require high octane fuel all the time). If you do use premium fuel in a PCM... the "post O2 sensors" allow the engine to produce even more hp at WOT. I personally have seen a 400 rpm difference in max WOT on the 409 engine when using high octane vs regular in the same boat, same day, same prop and load. The technology is amazing! None of the other cat motors that lack the post O2 sensor the PCM has, can do that.

Bottom line. The Catanium motors burn less fuel, produce more hp and are quieter than anything we have had in our boats. You also don't even smell a "wiff" of exhaust they are so clean. They are an awsome engine package.

Tim Sherwin
CCC
Old     (aces6692)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-13-2009, 12:13 PM Reply   
Tim- sorry for the late reply been working after school everyday, no i havnt seen it that low in the 8 years i have lived here, i was actually there on thursday evening and it was a little windy, but we found good water, i think it is going to keep getting lower, but im not sure so dont take my word, its getting rediculous though.
Old     (rebelman10)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-13-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
That's one fine boat. You can't go wrong with CC. It's the best boat in the business, if you don't believe me just look at the warranty. Hope you enjoy it, like I have mine. Congrats!