Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (oldwakeman)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-12-2007, 7:48 PM Reply   
Just started using my PP on my 07 X-30. Have tried MPH and RPM mode, but both seem to have trouble holding to speed. Boat surges then slows. Any ideas? Could be user error, but don't think so. Anyone else have similar issues?
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-12-2007, 8:31 PM Reply   
try the working the settings KDH and NN.
Old     (oldwakeman)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-12-2007, 8:54 PM Reply   
Thanks, will give those some play
Old     (cccbuilders)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-13-2007, 7:37 AM Reply   
i have an 06 x30 and had the same problems. You need to change the kdh & nn setings, I will look at mine and let you know what they are. I also changed my prop which made a huge difference also. You also need to add some weight to the bow, it always seems when there is 1 or 2 in the bow the pp holds great.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-13-2007, 11:16 AM Reply   
DAVID!!! Take a phone with you to the lake... start the boat up.. and call Perfect Pass.. they will walk you thtough everything.

KDW and NN wont do anything for you in RPM mode... you need to troubleshoot before you can find a solution
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-13-2007, 11:20 AM Reply   
I had my first experience with PP on a DBW system this weekend, it was very strange to not be able to fingertip the speed adjustment at all! It definitely will hunt a bit if your KDW and NN aren't dead on, and even then, if you just drop the hammer to get to plane then it will overshoot and hunt for a while...after a bit of practice, I was able to judge where to let off (depends on the boat, but typically right as you start to plane) so that the acceleration carried me a lot closer to target speed before PP took over as opposed to overshooting it. That seemed to help a ton, but I'm definitely going to miss being able to fingertip it when i trade up!
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-13-2007, 12:03 PM Reply   
With the DBW system you may need to adjust your CS setting. I put mine at about 835 and it no longer overshoots the speed when starting.
Old     (cccbuilders)      Join Date: Jun 2007       08-13-2007, 12:30 PM Reply   
fyi
kdw100
nn70
also play with the trim plate it helps.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-13-2007, 2:17 PM Reply   
More than likely it is the CS that needs to be changed. Most people don't know about it, but it will take care of the engaging and surging more than changing the kdw and nn.

Look in your owners manual, but I think that while the unit is turned on you press the menu and up arrow and it will get you to another menu screen. Scroll down to "CTRL settings" and see what the CS is on. It should be around 950. If not set it there and see what happens. Move it 10-20 at a time up or down and see if it makes it better or worse.

I just haven't messed with one in a while, but that should do it.
Old     (oldwakeman)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-15-2007, 7:34 AM Reply   
Thanks all - great info. Won't be able to try out recommendations till Sunday, but will let you all know. Cheers
Old     (mim3)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-15-2007, 9:08 AM Reply   
David, Travis is correct. I spent 2 months trying to get my X-45 dialed in. I tried various KDW and NN settings. Even had the "brain box" replaced. Boat would get up to speed, drop off, accelerate, drop off, etc.

You need this:

http://www.perfectpass.com/troubleshooting/Trouble_MC2007.pdf

The factory CS setting is too low at 750. I am now set at 850.

With the higher CS setting you should notice pulling more RPM's to get up to speed.

I will check my KDW and NN settings and post.
Old     (toneus)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-23-2007, 9:06 PM Reply   
There is one other reason that your PP will surge and slow. When your boat is improperly weighted, and it can't remain on plane. This will happen if you have too much weight in the back of the boat. As the boat accelerates up to speed, it may overshoot the PP, but be enough for the boat to plane out. As the PP slows to hit your set speed, the boat can no longer plane, it will come off plane and begin to PLOW. At this point, PP will sense that it needs to add throttle. Guess what! Yup, back on plane, but too fast. Once again, it will slow and thus come off plane.

Might this be your problem? I've had it happen to me.

Toneus
Old     (oldwakeman)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-29-2007, 7:34 PM Reply   
Thanks all. Between travel and weather I have been unable to get back on the boat. Hoping to play with the setting this weekend.
Old     (oldwakeman)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-02-2007, 8:41 PM Reply   
All, thanks for the great input. I reset my KDW to 100, NN to 70, and CS to 835. PP on X-30 now working perfectly with the boat heavily weighted.