Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 28, 2009

Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-09-2009, 10:05 PM Reply   
I'm looking to add Fuel Injection to the old lake truck, a 1973 suburban that has a 427 big block out of a 1969 corvette. I am trying to decide between two systems that appear to be among the best. One is MPFI the other is TBI. Which way should i go? Any other ideas are welcome but need to stay below the 3k mark as thats all I budgeted for this project.

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=FS&Product_Cod e=30227-KIT&Category_Code=EZ-EFI

the other system is MPFI

http://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/store.php?crn=218&rn=406&action=show_detail

Thanks guys. Also if any of you have converted from carburator to fuel injection I would be interested in your feedback on the install.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-09-2009, 10:21 PM Reply   
I'd go MPFI, throttle body is like going half way. ...Nice, a '73 Sub with a 427 do it right!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-09-2009, 11:48 PM Reply   
Morgan's Marine in Walnut Creek, CA was building custom FI manifolds for street rods. You might want to give them a call and see what they recommend.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-10-2009, 12:13 AM Reply   
MPI is the only way to go. TBI is like a computer controlled carburetor. Just be prepared to spend a little time with a laptop fine tuning.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-10-2009, 7:42 AM Reply   
I was kinda feeling the same way going MPFI but there is a bit of a price difference and wasn't sure if it's worth it. Sounds like the concensus from everyone is MPFI. Mikeski, I'll give morgan's marine a call and see what they offer and recommend too! Thanks
Old     (ryker1)      Join Date: Oct 2008       07-10-2009, 2:00 PM Reply   
If you are going to spend the money go MPFI. Get a system that has a wide band o2 sensor or add on kit if you have no experience tuning EFI engines.

I've used both holley and Edelbrock EFI systems. The Holley had much more capability but has a PC interface. However, the Edelbrock made more power, got better MPG, and idled a lot better. Holley's are known for idle issues.

I prefer both sytems over a carb but neither will give the same results of a modern LS engine with factory style computer.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-10-2009, 4:19 PM Reply   
For $3k net (sell the 427) you could drop a newer 8.1L drivetrain in it with zero tuning headaches. None of the aftermarket EFI systems are anywhere near as reliable as factory hardware.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-10-2009, 4:21 PM Reply   
...and gain a fully electronic modern transmission.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-10-2009, 7:00 PM Reply   
Are you having problem with current setup? I think people give up on carbs to quick...how about a nice Prosystem carb and save yourself a couple grand.
Old     (lilsumo)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-10-2009, 7:59 PM Reply   
Here you go, This is what I used on everything I have done.
http://www.megasquirt.org
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       07-10-2009, 8:19 PM Reply   
I agree - there's nothing at all wrong with a clean, properly tuned carb. They are just more sensitive to lack of use.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-10-2009, 10:24 PM Reply   
Trace, if I was going to yank this motor out and throw something else in I'd just shove the duramax in it and call it good. But i can't get rid of the 427, its too rare and has to many memories assiociatted with it.

Those in the know we realize a 427 big block out of a 1969 corvette is worth 20-30k alone. Its that rare of a motor. I personally would sell it but its centimental to my grandfather. I'll tell you the story.
My grandfather is a retired police officer from Santa Maria and one of his partners(who just happens to be the chief of police down there right now) had a brother that owned a machine shop. Well in the early 80's the stock 350 died and he asked gary if there was something he could do to the motor when he rebuilt it to give it a little more power so he could drive 55mph up cuesta grade! (remember when that use to be our speed limit?) Well any how a month later he went to pick up the truck and it had this 427 in it. Gary said there you go problem solved now you can drive 55 up the grade. Gary ended up getting in a pretty nasty motorcycle accident and lost his legs. Unfortunatly gary is no longer able to build motors and do stuff like he once did. Needless to say grandpa wouldn't change the motor in the truck for a million bucks because of the stories and memories assciotted with it.

The truck sits for extended periods of time between use and its tempermental when it comes to extreme heat and cold. Reliability is our main goal. I spoke with a gentleman in town who builds hot rods and he actually mentioned howell fuel injection as the most reliable and best set up to run and the great part is the kit only costs $1600. He has installed close to 50 systems in the last 5 years and said by far howell out performed all others. It is a tbi kit but he said for our application it would be more then adequate and it would be super easy to install, I think thats the direction we are leaning now.