Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old    andystrawn            06-17-2003, 11:37 AM Reply   
anyone tried the new compression molded Hyperlites? I saw one the other day, looked pretty cool but didn't get a chance to ride one yet.
Old    turtle            06-18-2003, 5:51 AM Reply   
Rides like a wakeboard with foam on top.

I did not like it, try one and gives us your feed back. Buikt very nice fo sho.
Old    mike_hart            06-18-2003, 6:19 PM Reply   
what model did u try
Old    warlock00            06-19-2003, 10:42 AM Reply   
hopefully I will be able to demo one this weekend and I will let you know what I think.
Old    oldschool            06-19-2003, 12:13 PM Reply   
I tried the Grubb model. It sucked. Way too light. Squirrely as heck on the water. Hard to ollie. Foam blows. Grip tape is the way to go. Loose footing. The foam bubbles up and doesn't take the contours very well.

The concave cassettes are just the way to go. My friend brought the new hyperlite out ont he boat to demo and all of our crewa agreed that the concave is still the best out there.
Old    warlock00            06-19-2003, 12:46 PM Reply   
I think you maybe right about the foam bubbling up on the grubb. I would have already tried it if the one the board shop had was not already bubbled up. Bad thing is I had to tell them it was like that or they would have never know.

I have never skated on one with tape just foam, but with shoes on the foam, I dont slip or have loose footing. I can ride away from some stuff that I do know that I should have. Besides not everyone that wants to try it wants to mess with shoes. With that said I would like to try a skate with tape just to know the difference.
Old    mike_hart            06-19-2003, 7:58 PM Reply   
but was the bubbling that horrible to where it might rip or somrthing?or affect your porformance?
Old    warlock00            06-20-2003, 7:06 AM Reply   
the bubble on the one I saw was about 4-5 in. around. So it was pretty big. With that board being like $230 I would not buy it like that.
Old    g_line            06-20-2003, 8:22 AM Reply   
all you have to do is pop them with a little pin, then they are fine. most of the hyperlite skate will have them.
Old    warlock00            06-20-2003, 10:18 AM Reply   
yeah but then the hole you poke in it will let water under the foam and eventually the glue will not stick. Of course this is just my opinion, but if I am going to put down that much money I want the item I am buying to be defect free. In response to the most have them statement the scape I got did not have a bubble nor did any of the other scape skates(like 4 or so just the grubb had the bubble) the board shop here had. Now if we are talking just a little bubble that maybe different, but a 4-5 inch one that is a little big. Besides the shop did not want to sell it anyway...something about if hyperlite sends out a defective board they have to send 2 in it's place. Or at least that is what the guy said.
Old     (mcsammamish)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-20-2003, 1:41 PM Reply   
Anyone read my post about the bulging in the Cassette 4 trac? Whats up with wakeskates? My last one took water on pretty quick and got a little heavier. I was hoping I would get a little more time out of my new 4 trac before it started absorbing water. Has anyone had the board absorb water where the extra holes are in the new 4 tracs?
Old    oldschool            06-20-2003, 1:46 PM Reply   
You can always sand it down, put some fiberglass on it and then sand that back down even with the surface. The shop you got it from won't warranty it? if not, that is what I would do.
Old    newrider            06-25-2003, 8:58 PM Reply   
I just bought the new hyperlite byerly 107 it hasn't gottin here yet i paid 110$ i am new to the sport and thought i was buying a wqakeboard is it going to be to hard for me or was it a good buy?
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-26-2003, 2:54 AM Reply   
good buy. the grubb skate is far better than the cassette's. the edge control is way better, they are built to last more than a season. they are very bouyantso ollies are easier. the foam top has just as much traction as griptape without the road rash. hyperlite has a way better warrantee. i rode a cassette for the last year and am going to buy a grubb or byerly this week because i liked it so much. hope this helps and don't believe the hype unless they can back it up, chances are they are just haters.

Old    tarr0624            06-26-2003, 4:44 AM Reply   
Has anyone ridden the scape 107? I tried to get my old Byerly warrantied but it was still another month before it would get here, so I had to settle on the Scape so I could have something to ride. It looks about like last year's Byerly but maybe not quite as concave.
Old    g_line            06-26-2003, 8:02 AM Reply   
Scapes are flat, but other than that, I hear they're good skates.
Old    newrider            06-26-2003, 3:52 PM Reply   
i just bought the scape 107 i misstyped and called it a byerly (sorry) but i have the same question
Old    newrider            06-26-2003, 3:53 PM Reply   
i just bought the scape 107 i misstyped and called it a byerly (sorry) but i have the same question was it dumb to by it without researching
Old    g_line            06-26-2003, 5:33 PM Reply   
yeah, but the skate you got is fine and will suit your needs
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-26-2003, 10:27 PM Reply   
not such a good deal though.
Old    xtremrider            06-28-2003, 8:02 AM Reply   
mine was bubbling so i got a needle and pokes some holes and airthem out now its perfect.
Old    hockeym800            07-09-2003, 9:04 PM Reply   
I have been riding a byerly 107 all season and I like it way better than my cassette. No bulging and it rides smoother and easier to hold on to. Had a few bubbles in the foam when I got it but I popped them with a pin and flattened them out and none have came back and the foam isnt coming up although it is rode probably every other day by several people.
Old    andystrawn            07-15-2003, 9:26 AM Reply   
I was really surprised to see a made in taiwan sticker on the bottom. I thought hyperlite made all their stuff in the US. Globilization sucks.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       07-15-2003, 3:33 PM Reply   
No, they are having it made overseas to save money (I got that directly from the horse's mouth, so to speak).
Old    catalyst            07-15-2003, 5:07 PM Reply   
yup all there stuff is beeing made there now pretty much. In the long run it will save us some money.