Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (rawbdiggity)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-08-2007, 9:14 PM Reply   
got a few here been looking a long time 07 supra 21v, 07 210 san, 05 bu vlx, 03 bu lsv,05 22've please help me narrow it down. thanks
Old     (alan_bogdanoff)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-08-2007, 9:29 PM Reply   
I have a 2007 Enzo for sale. email me for more info.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-08-2007, 9:45 PM Reply   
Sorry, I'm not Jeff or Ed but I don't think you can go wrong with any of those boats really. Personally I would go with the 22Ve but I am Tige biased... Alan's 2007 Enzo would probably be an awesome boat for surfing too. There are too many choices out there! Good luck!
Old     (rawbdiggity)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-08-2007, 9:50 PM Reply   
thanks timmy and alan would love to here what jeff and ed have to say though
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-09-2007, 6:22 AM Reply   
Rob, boats perform differently depending upon which side you surf and how much ballast are you willing to put in the boat. Another issue is do you typically have a lot of people or few people in the boat? Giving a little more info might help Jeff and Ed.
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-09-2007, 8:36 AM Reply   
Not sure which Ed you are looking for, but this Ed was talking to Josh Sanders (some guy who thinks he can wakeboard) over a few beers and he told me that he has ridden behind practically every boat made and he was most impressed with wake surfing behind a Supra. Yes, Josh Sanders is a recreational wakesurfer.

Of course I'm really biased. When you buy a Skiers Choice product (Supra or a Moomba), you not only get a great boat, you get a whole new family.

The Supra/Moomba owners jamborees that now take place all over the U.S. are awesome events. You don't get this kind of royal treatment with other boat manufacturers.

Check out Supra's new web sight. It's awesome. Make sure to look at the videos for each boat (Ben Greenwood is featured behind the 21V).

Good luck with whatever boat you go with!

(Message edited by Ed_G on October 09, 2007)
Old    surfdad            10-09-2007, 8:52 AM Reply   
I wouldn't consider myself a "boat expert", but we have ridden behind a number of the boats listed. As Roy points out, there are a number of factors that can affect the wake quality.
You know who probably has more water time behind all sorts of boats than anyone? Jeff Page and Mark Sher of Inland Surfer. They are obviously aligned with Centurion, but they are really helpful folks. If you gave them a shout via telephone or email, I'd bet they would be willing to give you their impressions of the 4 hulls you've listed.

Now...my impressions of the wakes that I've ridden, hopefully that will help?

I've never been behind an LSV - so...I can't comment on that hull. All of the others have decent surf wakes, at least the ones I've ridden.

The Supra 21V is very nice, when weighted, IMO, it tends to be the steepest of the hulls you've listed. Port side wake is stronger of the two sides. As you can see Ed G has contacts in the Supra world, and can hook you up with experts.

The SAN can really toss great wakes on both sides, but two things that bug me about this hull. It seems to me, to get a "great" wake, it really requires the boat to be sac'ed out. Almost to the point where folks are sitting on sacs, pop bags in stragetic locations. Some folks don't mind that, but I really prefer a simplier setup - I'm a flip a switch and go kind of guy. :-) Also, the engine vents on the rear corners I think are pretty vulnerable to water overflow. I've seen folks block them on the side being surfed.

Probably the foremost expert for setting up Nautie surf wakes is clubmyke.

The VLX is a nice boat, isn't it? I've experienced inconsistent wakes behind this boat, however. IMO, this boat is probably less forgiving in the setup than the others. Not that it can't toss great wakes, but I think it's ballasting is more specific than the others.

I believe the 22Ve is the same hull as the RZ2. The swimdeck digs into the water, creating a lip and the concave rear corner seems to mess up the face of the wake. It's definately surfable, but it just looks ugly and I've felt the wash on the face be sort of sluggish. I have yet to see a Ve hull with a clean faced surf wake. I miss the old 24V hull! :-)

So...IMO, if I were narrowing it down, price, condition and resale value, etc. aside, just the surf wake criteria...the Supra and the SAN at the top, Ve at the bottom and the BU somewhere in between. My 2 cents, for what it's worth. :-)
Old     (ed_g)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-09-2007, 9:07 AM Reply   
Jeff, for poops and giggles, check out the new Supra web site. Under each boat description, there are suggested uses listed for each hull type.

one of them....drum roll please...."core wakesurfing"!!! Yes, Skiers Choice is now suggesting, on their websight, that their boats should be used for wakesurfing.

How time and a little kick in the rear can cause change :-)
Old    surfdad            10-09-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
Ed, that is such a hoot. :-) Glad to see the change. I have to share something with you. Last night we caught a glimpse of an infomercial for some back-pain relieving device. During part of the segment they interviewed Darin Shapiro. About half way through he is throwing a backroll or something and James and I immediately looked at the water - or is it 100% tanic acid? :-) anyway, by the distinct brown'ish color immediately said: FLORIDA! :-)

I really should be quite, you folks still have warm weather and water temps, don't you? Brat! :-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-09-2007, 9:40 AM Reply   
The Other Ed.

How about a description of what your looking for. Hardcore surf with little wakeboarding, 50/50, or only some wakeboarding. What side to you ride, is it important to have a good wake on both sides?

My experiences with different boats is more limited. There's my boat a heavily sacked out 04 Centurion Lightning, the Malibu 21.6 VLX, a 23 foot Malibu LSV, an older d-drive Malibu - same hull as the original VLX, an X2 (205 hull), and a Supra 21V. I would very much like to surf behind a 23 foot Enzo some time.

Here's my experience and ranking:
1) Centurion Avalanche weighted with about 2,000 pounds of ballast
2) My Centurion Lightning weighted with about 2,400 pounds - regular side only
3) An LSV weighted with about 3,000 pounds
4) A VLX weighted with about 1,200 pounds and a large crew
5) The X2 (205 hull) 1,200 pounds and small crew
6) The older Malibu d-drive 800 pounds of ballast
7) 21V lightly ballasted - bad weather conditions - my favorite wakeboard wake
8) A 23 foot LSV with about 1,500 pounds of ballast and large crew in shallow water

What I've also heard:
I have a friend with a 22 foot '04 Supra. He says the goofy wake is very good stock from the factory. However, I've heard from several sources that the new 22 foot Supra hull is different and not as good for surfing.

At Nationals we ran two Centurion Avalanches. Both with about 2,000 pounds of ballast, one set up for regular and the other for goofy. The wakes were very comparable, goofy riders were very pleased but don't let them cook hot dogs. I like the non-C4 Avalanche walk through. When rigged for regular surf you can use the walk through for board storage. When rigged for goofy we lay a 750 behind the driver, a 400 at the back of the walk through and another 400 in front of the first and on top of the 750.

Centurion offers a reverse rotation prop option. I've heard that an Enzo with this prop configuration produces a very good wake on both sides.

I'd like to buy a 23 foot Centurion Enzo, but I need to sell my Lightning first. Therefore the best boat for you is my Lightning:-) Many of my family and regular crew ride with a goofy stance. If I do buy an Enzo I plan to buy one with the reverse prop option.

Looks great at the dock
Upload
Long board on the regular wake
Upload
Long board on the goofy wake
Upload
Very popular with the girls
Upload

This is the boat for you:-)
Upload
Old    surfdad            10-09-2007, 10:21 AM Reply   
"Therefore the best boat for you is my Lightning"

Ed? would there be any self-interest involved in that conclusion? Just wondering. :-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-09-2007, 10:32 AM Reply   
Only the slightest bias:-)

Note only 4 wheels on the trailer, not eight.
Old    surfdad            10-09-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
No wheels on the darkside of the trailer? :-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-09-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
Right, if you keep ballast in your surf boat at all times there should be no weight on the dark side, therefore wheels on that side are superfluous and just for show. I’m all about function rather than show
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-09-2007, 1:37 PM Reply   
I feel dumb asking so many things, what is the dark side of surfing???
Old    surfdad            10-09-2007, 1:45 PM Reply   
Luciano, don't feel dumb. It's slang that we coined for the starboard side of the boat. Folks that ride regular footed, ride the port side frontside and folks that ride goofy footed ride the "darkside" of the boat frontside. :-)

I would be HONORED if you would start using that treminology in SA. :-)
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-09-2007, 3:18 PM Reply   
Luciano, the "darkside" is a reference from Star Wars. Darth Vader was on the darkside (evil or bad side) of the Force. Regular footed riders refer to the other side of the wake as the darkside.
Old     (luchog)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-09-2007, 3:45 PM Reply   
yeah I knew the starwars thing, man, that's universal!!! I'll see that when we start surfing we call it "El lado oscuro"/the darkside in spanish
Old     (rawbdiggity)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-09-2007, 5:54 PM Reply   
thanks guys i also know of a 07 elite for 40k as far as what i want to do is probably 50/50 board surf with probably about 5 peeps. me and my wife both ride on the darkside but im sure i'll be settin up the reg. side also i also like jeff want a pretty easy setup w/o a bunch of sacks everywere. hope this helps maybe break it down just a little more. thanks in advance all who post and have posted...ed funny post i was gonna ask you what boat you wanted before but now i know ENZO
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       10-09-2007, 8:18 PM Reply   
michael howard surfs a 06 elite v (same hull as 07). check out the pics and video in this thread http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/87668/500419.html?1190665140
he's got a ton (Literally) of weight in his boat
Old     (rawbdiggity)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-09-2007, 8:29 PM Reply   
thanks WA....have you seen the avy boardstock on the classifieds 5 more k what do you think worth it?
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       10-10-2007, 6:50 AM Reply   
The elite is a good surf boat have not boarded in it with any weight though. You do have to put a lot of weight in it though. The darkside you would want 1500#+ or so from the bow to the stern. The port only takes about 1200# for the same wake. I will usualy run about 2000# with 3 people in the boat. the wake gets big and long.

If I would of checked out this site before I bought it I might of bought an Avy or 216 enzo. Both have a larger beams but are almost the same length.

Here is a video of me doing a 360 with the boat fully loaded and 4 people in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmtLhysY-Y

Here is a pic of the darkside wake fully loaded.

Upload
Old     (jwalterm)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2007, 8:56 AM Reply   
Micheal,

How fast are you going in your video?
Old     (rawbdiggity)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2007, 1:19 PM Reply   
mike thanks for the input and congrats thats BA
Old     (sell)      Join Date: Nov 2006       10-10-2007, 4:04 PM Reply   
Looks really fast in that video.....
Super nice long wake though.
Old     (rawbdiggity)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2007, 4:12 PM Reply   
hey jw hows that supra wake have any pics looking at an 07 pretty sweet boat
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       10-10-2007, 5:07 PM Reply   
I was running at 12.7. If you run below 11 it becomes really short and washes out.
Old     (jwalterm)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2007, 5:22 PM Reply   
Rob,

I do not have any pictures yet. I bought it Labor Day weekend. The wakeboarding wake is awesome. Still working on the surfing wake. I have to wait till next year now. Great boat!
Old     (rawbdiggity)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2007, 5:45 PM Reply   
jw i used to live in grand ledge and lansing. anyway have you ridden behind other boats and which ones had a comparable wake.
Old     (jwalterm)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2007, 6:10 PM Reply   
I have only been wakeboarding for about a year. Do not have experience riding behind other inboard boats. I have had some Mastercraft (x-45) owners behind my boat and they tell me the biggest difference is the shape of the Supra wake. It is steep. My neighbor has a video of the wake. I will try to get it tomorrow. I am sure you could start a post on 21V wakes and get all the pictures you want. Where do you live now? Was in the 40's last night in GR.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2007, 6:21 PM Reply   
Michael how much weight is on that side, I have never seen a boat so banked over, I had about 3k on one side of my x-star and took water over the bow 3 times. Thats a sick wake! and nice tre
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-10-2007, 6:24 PM Reply   
Your boat isn't properly weighted until someone calls 911, reports that your sinking and then the police helicopter hovers over you for several minute.
Old     (rawbdiggity)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2007, 7:04 PM Reply   
thats hilarious ed
Old     (rawbdiggity)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2007, 7:09 PM Reply   
jw now i live in salt lake it will be in the forty's tonight.seventy's during the day but the water is cold and i have a i/o=no wakesurfing and we had a cold snap last week so everybody winterized
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-10-2007, 7:20 PM Reply   
That's fact. I've had passers by on a bridge call 911 on me because they thought we needed help. Sounds funny but it's not cool with the local authorities.

I get a pretty good surf wake going when the Lightning is listing at about 20 degrees.
Old     (jwalterm)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2007, 7:23 PM Reply   
I had an I/O b4 I bought the Supra. My brother in law lives in SLC. We have been there the last 2 years for Spring Break.
Old     (rawbdiggity)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2007, 7:32 PM Reply   
why would you come here for spring break did you go down south maybe and if you stayed in slc which lakes have you been to.
Old     (jwalterm)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2007, 7:57 PM Reply   
Snow skiing for my wife and daughter snowboarding for my son and I. I have not been to any lakes.
Old     (rawbdiggity)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-10-2007, 8:19 PM Reply   
if you came here to ride i hope you went to brighton its pretty sweet and you can ski and board there park city mountain resort is good and so is the bird. i probably prefer them in that order.they all have some awesome board parks if your good you wont bang your ribs off some long rails like i do
Old     (jwalterm)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-11-2007, 5:09 AM Reply   
I don't do rails. Both years we tried other parks but always end up back at Brighton. Not as commercial!
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-11-2007, 7:01 AM Reply   
brighton and snowbird are both amazing. lived in SLC for several years. can't believe how much lift tix are going for these days though. ouch!
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       10-11-2007, 4:40 PM Reply   
Twitch swagga. I had 2150# in sacks on the one side from bow to stren. Plus a 180# guy on the back pad, 220# driving, 240# sitting on the sack behind the driver. Then 140# on the port video taping. So a total of about 2650 on the one side.
Old     (rawbdiggity)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-11-2007, 7:21 PM Reply   
mike holy @#$% thats a lot of weight on one side in a 21 footer how close is the rub rail to the water?
Old     (rawbdiggity)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-11-2007, 7:27 PM Reply   
by the way checked out this boat today good deal? 2004 calabria pro v anybody know anything about this boat has 17 speakers 3 planet audio amps all mb quart spkrs wants 35k for it no rips 160 hours........input on wakesurf.. the owner said something about water over bow was easy. let me know thanks
Old     (michealhoward)      Join Date: May 2007       10-12-2007, 6:44 AM Reply   
Rob. The last foot of the rail is in the water when someone sits on the back pad.
Old     (rawbdiggity)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-12-2007, 6:10 PM Reply   
anyone..... calabria pro v wakesurf-board???
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-12-2007, 8:16 PM Reply   
Sorry, I've never seen one in Ohio.
Old     (rawbdiggity)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-13-2007, 7:08 PM Reply   
thanks ed
Old     (rileya2)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-17-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
Rob Brown
Re: Calabria Pro V
First time poster here but have very much enjoyed the info from people who know whats up. My son just purchased a 2005 Calabria Pro V with 220 hours that was all "tricked" out with stereo, TV and DVD, fat sacks, lights and custom tower. He paid $35,000 and we think he got a great deal. YMMV. The Pure Vert ballast system (750 lbs) is really nice, fast filling and easy to use. With an extra 1,500 lbs in sacks on the port rear side it throws an really nice wake. Another nice thing is the amount of interior room with the 8'6" beam. Using only the Pure Vert ballast the wake is great for wakeboarding, very firm with smooth transitions.
Old     (rawbdiggity)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-17-2007, 5:59 PM Reply   
thanks riley maybe you could put some pics on you next post of the boat wake surfwake im goofy have you guys tried sackin the starboard? anyway if not thanks for the reply...rob