Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old                04-02-2004, 7:44 PM Reply   
hey guys
i am really interested in buying a nice digital camera hopefully by the end of this month. i noticed that these 2 similar in price with some key differences. I also noticed that the rave is all about the rebel and i personally own a canon gl2 (video camera) and love it. the sony has an 8 megapixel vs the 6.3 on the canon. also i noticed that the canon has a plastic body and how durable is that! a con for the sony is that it does not have detachable lens. So what camera would you guys pick and why??????
thanks travis
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-02-2004, 8:07 PM Reply   
The Rebel is a kick ass camera but it was a little to pricy for Me so I went with the Nikon 5700 http://www.dbuys.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=dby.proPage&product_id=1383
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       04-03-2004, 6:38 PM Reply   
Forget megapixels, a Nikon d1x or Canon 1d have half the pixels of the Sony but will kick ass on any picture you could ever take with the Sony. Why? Because of the lens, the size of the imager and the electronics. And don't forget about the shutter lag time, auto focus speed and fps differences. Do you want to take the shot when the guy' the wake and hope or instantaneously when the shot is right? If you can swing it get the Rebel.
Old                04-04-2004, 9:30 AM Reply   
i would recomend the rebel as well. If you look on this site www.dpreview.com they have reviews of both cameras. I would definatly choose the dreb over the sony no competition. You might also want to look at the nikon D70. Its a little more exspensive but has a few features that the dreb does not and has a better package lense than the dreb. Just to throw in a nother option. As for a lense, either company you go for whether it be nikon or canon(ive counted sony out not that great of a camera for the money) get for canon the 70-200 F4L or the Sigma 70-200EX F2.8. Both lenses are very fast and produce very good pictures. You also have to keep in mind the crop factor where the dreb is 1.6x and the D70 is 1.5x so the 70-200 would seem like it is 112-320. Both cameras are going to be fairly quick so you probably wont need to worry about that. Just the little things.