Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-26-2006, 1:28 PM Reply   
Whats up gang!? I just got this boat and have fallen in love with wakesurfing! I've got a couple questions and would appreciate some guidance even if you've never weighted an X-45.

I've got two 450 lb ballast tanks in rear floor and a 350 lb. forward ballast. I just ordered 520 lbs. of pop-products.

The picture you see is stock port ballast full and 3 people seated near rear port side. Goofy side is nice too but not as clean as regular.

Questions:

1. Should I put all of the steel pop-products weight in the rear storage locker adjacent to engine or also put some underneath a seat?

2. Does it help to fill the forward center ballast? Does it make the wake bigger or wash it out?

3. Should I ever seat people in the bow?

4. How much higher can I expect to get that wake that you see below? 1 ft? 2 ft? And how much weight might I need? I took the picture standing up in the boat.

5. Any other suggestions?

Upload
Old     (jimgalloway)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-26-2006, 2:34 PM Reply   
Ben, arrow down to the 7/26/06 post: "X2 2006 loaded for wakesurfing" and read the entire discussion. You are way underweigted.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-26-2006, 5:40 PM Reply   
ben,

general rule of thumb- the bigger the boat, the more weight you'll need.. i would start off with 2500 lbs (not including peeps unless you have 10 people) and experiement..

when we weighed tim & jesi's 05 X2, we had 800 lbs in fly high sacks and 500 lbs in lead...
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-26-2006, 6:20 PM Reply   
I have a much smaller boat, I run over 2,000 pounds.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-26-2006, 6:53 PM Reply   
ben,

would would line the side of the boat with the pop products shot bags(placed on top of the ballast tanks)basically as close to the hull as possible..

I would suggest the fly high ballast bags and 2-3~ 500 lb sacs, 1-275 lb sacs, and a couple 150 moveable bricks...
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-26-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
btw,

i'll be in scottsdale of the woods the weekend of the 10th...I can bring my fatssacs(whole bunch of them), pumps, and walzer board....I am also good for driving, gas, cleanup...feel free to ask jeff walker for a reference...
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-27-2006, 9:47 AM Reply   
Clubmyke- Thanks for the input. Good lord I'm gonna need quite a bit more weight.

I'm gonna be working that weekend but could go on the 13th or 14th! Maybe you could stay an extra day!
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-27-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
ben,

i suspect your x-45 will do a great surfwake (it has a awesome wakeboard wake), it's just going to take some weight to do it...

my buddy has a x-star and when he sacks it out(3000lbs) the wakeboard wake is scary because it is so friggin big..

might be able to go during the week... what lake do you roll at ?
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-27-2006, 10:48 AM Reply   
I store my boat at Lake Pleasant. North Phoenix. Super easy to get to.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-27-2006, 10:59 AM Reply   
let me check the schedule...
Old     (darryl)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-27-2006, 11:09 PM Reply   
Ben, I was just out in my friends X45 last weekend at Lake Pleasant and I only brought about a 1000lbs in bags. Not enough weight. I would say 2500 lbs would do it. I have an X2 and my wake is much better compared to what we did last weekend on my friends x45. I run about 1400lbs in my x2. I think you were the guy that took delivery of your X45 at Bartlett Lake a few weeks ago??? I had the yellow X2 that was leaning like a son of gun. If that wasn't you then I am on crack. Anyway, with the x45 you need a lot of weight in the back and then up along the side of the boat to the front. I think the coast guard rating on your boat is 2950lbs. Last weekend we had 600lbs in the back locker and 350 on the back seat along with the stock ballast filled on the starboard side since I am goofy footed. Not ENOUGH. Wake was slow but clean, and I had to surf closer to the boat. We are probably going to go out tomorrow, and I will take 2000lbs of bags. My friend and I live in Anthem so we are 20 minutes from Lake Pleasant. Let me know if you ever need any help.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-28-2006, 12:04 PM Reply   
Darryl- I totally remember seeing you. You're absolutely right that was me. I love your boat by the way. Just got off the phone with Peter at Mastercraft AZ and he was talking about you and your exact boat for weight recommendations.

My boat does the same on the goofy side. I ride quite close to the boat; pretty weird as my friends who ride left foot forward can ride almost anywhere on the wake.

I just ordered two-440 lb. launch pads and an uber pump. Between those, the 520 lbs. of pop-products and full ballast, that would give me 1900 lbs without people. I usually go out with 4-8 people. I'm going to start there and see where I need to go. I hope that does it, but again, I'm looking for a fast and big wake.

Do you have any pics of your wake? Would love to see them.
Old     (factory)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-28-2006, 3:24 PM Reply   
ben- the 13th works for me. sac it out. I want a barrel :-)
darryl- the x-2 looks sic. totally remember that boat. (was there on delivery with him).
Old     (darryl)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-29-2006, 7:04 AM Reply   
Ben, get as much weight as you can in that back locker. Yesterday I changed up my weight and put 800lbs in the back locker, along with 600lbs on side seat behind driver and another 100 in the front along with my wife and two kids, but they don't weigh much. Wave was fast and clean. Going out today and will have another 220 body to put on the back seat, it will be nice.

Peter at Mastercraft will get you dialed in. They probably think I am crazy with all the weight I am running in a 20' boat. Think I will buy another couple bags.

Like your X45, I would like that boat but I want to store it in my garage and it is only 23' deep. Seriously considering an X30, might be able to make that fit at an angle. We will see.

Anyway take care and have some fun! I will post some pics after today of my wake. Camera battery was dead yesterday only got some video.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-29-2006, 9:40 AM Reply   
Thanks, D. I look forward to checking out your pics. Have fun. We will be at Pleasant tomorrow!
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-29-2006, 9:48 AM Reply   
ben,

how is next week ?
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-29-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
ClubMyke-

We will be at Pleasant tomorrow and then also at Pleasant Nov. 6 & 7th. I wont be there on the 6th but my bros will be. On the 7th, I will launch around noon and surf all afternoon! I think you're goofy footed, as am I, so we could get a lot of surfing in without changing ballast.

Then, for sure on 13th and 14th. I may even be able to go out on the 12th, the Sunday. Not sure yet; depends how busy we are.

The lake is still 71 degrees-at least on my temp gauge-so no wetsuit needed yet. It's been awesome out.
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-29-2006, 2:15 PM Reply   
71 degrees !!!!!!!! wow !!! we hit 67 last week in so cal ( i'm a wuss, i'll use the drysuit in the early am but truck it for the rest of the day)

may be able to do the 13th or 14th (let me check)..
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-29-2006, 3:37 PM Reply   
What do you do for work?
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-29-2006, 3:55 PM Reply   
medical.. how about u ?
Old     (darryl)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-30-2006, 7:07 PM Reply   
Here you go Ben, fatest wake I have had yet! Not bad for a 20' boat. I am 6'4" so this wake when I was at the bottom was at my waste. It was beautiful! I like the wake on the goofy side better.

Upload

Upload

My brother in-law... 2nd time wake surfing. He is a tall dude too. Normal side.

Upload

Upload
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-30-2006, 9:18 PM Reply   
NICE!!!! I love that boat. It's soo perfect. That wake looks very fun. I added some weight today and saw a tremendous difference. I will post some pics with 3 people and 1000lbs here very shortly. I get another 1000 lbs next week.

Had a great day!!!!!
Old     (darryl)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-30-2006, 9:43 PM Reply   
I want to see a FAT one. That X45 will lay a HUGE wave. I put the shorty on, Pleasant getting a little cold. Take Care!
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-01-2006, 11:20 AM Reply   
Here is from Monday. It was bigger and faster for sure. Will post more pics as I get them...

Upload
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-01-2006, 11:23 AM Reply   
That was with stock ballast, three people, and 450 lbs. of lead on the port side. I've got 900 lbs of sacs coming soon.

Here is a picture of our on board sandwich maker...

Upload
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-01-2006, 12:35 PM Reply   
luckeeee !!!! where can I get one of those ? does it come eqipped with peanut butter ?
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-01-2006, 12:44 PM Reply   
Clubmyke- theres plenty where that comes from out here in AZ. You just gotta get here.

Yup, she brought the peanut butter and all the food for that matter. Then, she made it for us. We were spoiled. I will have more pics this afternoon when I get home. Got some good ones...
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-01-2006, 12:46 PM Reply   
Darryl- is that with 2000 total lbs on one side??? That is awesome.
Old     (darryl)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-01-2006, 5:15 PM Reply   
790lbs in back locker, 150lbs on top of back locker, 350lbs behind driver with 3 people, and 3 kids all under the age of 4, and 250lbs in the front. So probably close to 2000 pounds total.

Your wave looks awesome too!
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-01-2006, 10:55 PM Reply   
ben, the wake looks awesome...i am really curious to see how it is once you get it tweaked (there is not alot of info here on weighing a x-45 for surfing.. so you are making wake surf history).

would have to agree with you.. az has the best "scenery" on the west coast imo (and they are genuinely nice... i dont see that combination too often in so cal...)

btw, i have been in scottsdale all this week working (here all week..just had dinner at the ocean club in westin kierland) but dont have any free time this week..

maybe next week ?
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-02-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
Clubmyke- We are going on the 13th and 14th of November. Try to make it. Surfs up all day! 13th will be better for sure.
Old     (bennygoodx)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-02-2006, 7:45 AM Reply   
Heres one from this week as well. Had to download it from my phone. Just tell me the shapes and colors you prefer, I will try to make sure they're on the boat...

PS - Ocean Club is great. I go there often. Try CityHall Drinkwaters next time.

Upload
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-02-2006, 8:26 AM Reply   
not too many... dont want to be too distracted (blond & brunette !!! any redheads ? just kidding !! i am a happily married man)

a buddy has a x-2 and we are consistently impressed by the wake (wakeboarding or wakesurfing - that is one great hull imo and it always seems easier to weigh down a smaller boat..

btw, funny you should mention drinkwaters...we'll be there tonite (i really like the mastro's restaurants alot)

will try to shoot for next week.

(Message edited by clubmyke on November 02, 2006)