Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old     (cali_rider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-10-2004, 9:42 PM Reply   
How do you get there from 5 going north
Old    papi            07-10-2004, 11:11 PM Reply   
Travis,
Exit Lake Hughes Rd. Turn right. Make a left at Ridge Route. It is within 1 mole of freeway offramp.

Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       07-11-2004, 4:58 PM Reply   
How was the tourney? Who rode and who won etc.? What were the sickest tricks thrown? Any pictures? I missed it, but bet it was great.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-11-2004, 10:00 PM Reply   
It was awesome. It was like a pro tour.
Got a bit choppy thru the middle of the day, then nice again. Awesome site, well done.
Old     (got_river)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-11-2004, 11:44 PM Reply   
One of the best parts was the double up contest at the end of the day. Brent Baum, Tyler Killingsworth, Ricky G, Chris Williams, and a couple others (forgot who) had several double up runs. Ricky went huge as expected. Chris Williams got first, Ricky second, and Brent got third. Very well put together event with some amazing riding.

Josh
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       07-12-2004, 1:28 PM Reply   
I heard on the news this morning that a little boy was missing after 2:00pm or so Sunday at lower Castaic Lake. Then, at 9:00pm Last night divers found his body in 27 feet of water. Does anyone else know what happened? Did the commotion affect the tournament? Were there lifeguards there? That is so sad. Hopefully this tragedy won't impact any future events.
Old     (hatepwcs)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-12-2004, 2:13 PM Reply   
Dan- An announcement was made over the PA at about 3pm that his family was looking for him. I don't think anyone was aware beyond that. I don;t think the boy and his family were there for WakeFest. Very sad. When I spoke to a lifeguard around 7pm my gut told me he was at the bottom of the lake.

RIP Rudolfo Ruiz
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-12-2004, 4:12 PM Reply   
This is devastating, I'm pretty sure that it can be said for everyone there that our thoughts and prayers are with the Ruiz family. The lifeguards asked, and announcements were made asking everyone to help out, that the 12 year old boy was missing. Unfortunately, by that time it must have been too late. There were many lifeguards at the lake, and they were consistantly trying to keep things safe, reminding all of us about the sharp drop off a few feet into the water, and asking us to swim only in the designated swim area. I agree with Chris that I don't think the boy or his family were there to attend the event, I think they were just using the swim beach, which was a couple hundred yards north of the spectator area, just over a small hill.

I would really like to be talking about how great the event was, but it kind of pales in comparison to the tragic loss yesterday. I have young kids too, and this really hits close to home.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-12-2004, 8:56 PM Reply   
just a shot in the arm to all of those who have children, get them into swimming lessons!!
It definatley overshadows all the hard work and effort put into this contest by the castaic crew. all this could have been avoided with either lessons or a vest!

As Josh said, earlier, the double up contest was awesome, but I would say, watching Dallas' run was the highlight.

Looooong day!!! Good Job Castaic Crew!!
Old    blindsiderider            07-12-2004, 9:36 PM Reply   
Wow Thanks Josh I throw all common sense out the window and go for a 313 and a 720 and you don't even remember my name.The other rider was Tyler Killingsworth. The whole competition was awesome. Everyone seemed to have a good time. It is very unfortunate that Rudolfo Ruiz was lost.
I did not learn to swim until 4 years ago so I understand about not knowing how to swim. I also don't understand why parents don't know where there kids are at all times when they are at the lake. especially if the know there child cant swim. Last year at our home lake my brother and myself had to save a 7 year old boy and a 8 year old girl who would have for sure drowned that mothers day. They were walking along the shallow submerged rocks when all of a sudden the sister went under and pulled the little brother with her. Then the little brother was using the sister to try and stand on to keep his head above water so she could not come up. At first we thought they were playing then we realized they were in trouble and we had to swim over to them and get them. after we got them to the shore and they both started coughing and crying the mother finally looked up from the table up the hill to see them. Please The water is a great place to play but we must all play safe. RIP Rudolfo Ruiz

Now back to a lighter note. If you did not make it to this event you should plan on being there on SEPT 12th. You wont be sorry. Steve Bates from CWB did a great job the raffle prizes were SICK some of the things raffled off where a 04 Byerly an 05 Transcend and 2 sets of Fusion tower speakers just to name a few.

So once again Great job everyone and see you on the 12th.

(Message edited by blindsiderider on July 12, 2004)
Old     (got_river)      Join Date: Jul 2002       07-13-2004, 8:38 AM Reply   
Sorry Tony!

Your mom was the one who was calling out your tricks before you hit them which was making the announcers crack up.

Your 313 and 720 were sick!

Josh

Old    martini            07-13-2004, 12:37 PM Reply   
this is very sad...hard to imagine how it happened...my thoughts and prays go out to the family...God Speed to that little guy!

on a lighter note, thank you to everyone who worked so very hard to make this event such a success...it takes an army (or boyscout troop 888) to make these events go smooth...

i would like to personally thank team valdez for
for taking care of me with cold drinks and food!
also the swift family for the same reason! see you guys in sept!
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-13-2004, 1:57 PM Reply   
Pete, always a pleasure!! Good job on the mic, loved you and Jason,Jeff Frew and oh my gosh, even Brent "The Bomber" Baum took his turn on the mic. Pete before I knew it was you, I thought you sounded so much like Bisch! And for the record It was the "Swink" family. Sue Swink is awesome but she will tell you it's all Cooper!! LOL!!

See y'all in September, no wait, before that there is Pro Stop in Irvine, Arizona comp, wakesports contest and Nationals. Dang, that is ALOT of wakeboarding!!

(Message edited by teamvaldez on July 13, 2004)
Old    dertbiker2000            07-13-2004, 4:26 PM Reply   
Yeah, we need to have more event held at castaic. Unfortuanately i couldn't attend this event, but castaic is a fairly decent place to hold events and we need to hold more of them.
Old    martini            07-13-2004, 5:01 PM Reply   
Team Valdez, the pleasure was mine! you guys are great...

and thank you for the correction in regards to the swink family.

my next event on the mic will be at the x games in long beach, come on out if you can i would love to see you!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-14-2004, 9:20 AM Reply   
I would agree this was one of the better events I've been to. I just wish I didn't suck so bad at wakeboarding!. I can't believe that someone actually drowned that day, that is the worst thing ever. I remember hearing the announcements and kept thinking the park is pretty big & the little guy probably found the same awesome swing set I did. I wish it were the case. Jeff, thanks for the props & trying to keep my head up, I was a little disappointed in myself. Tony, you had a great run, must have been tough before in the boat with those guys, good job! Like he said props to Clay & all the organizers, Steve Bates for all the kick downs & the sponsors. Steve was bitter, his new '05 Absolute was shipped to the wrong address & he couldn't have it there. Oh well see you guys in September.
Old    clay__tiffany            07-15-2004, 7:37 AM Reply   
I would like to thank everyone for coming out on Sunday. With out all of you riders the day wouldn’t have been what it was! Also thanks to all the volunteers and Sponsors.
We are looking forward to Sept. 12.

RIP Rudolfo Riuz

picture

}}
Old    clay__tiffany            07-15-2004, 7:39 AM Reply   

Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-15-2004, 7:40 AM Reply   
Are you going to eat some austrailian armadillo anus for us?
Old    clay__tiffany            07-15-2004, 7:40 AM Reply   

Old    clay__tiffany            07-15-2004, 7:41 AM Reply   

Old    clay__tiffany            07-15-2004, 7:41 AM Reply   

Old    clay__tiffany            07-15-2004, 7:42 AM Reply   

Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-15-2004, 7:43 AM Reply   
or better yet some AFRICAN CAVE-DWELLING SPIDERS! Those things are creepy.
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-15-2004, 8:33 AM Reply   
It was so nice to see Chris Williams and Brent Baum up on that podium!! My kids went out riding with Chris last Thursday and man, anybody that has the opportunity to go to Rythem X (chris's wakeboard school) DO IT!!
Old     (depswa)      Join Date: Nov 2000       07-15-2004, 6:29 PM Reply   
I guess the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd went in the order of height...that's new. LOL