Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
Planning our half cross country trip for this summer. We are heading into Nebraska for a wedding and are towing the MaliBlue with the r.v. and want to hit as many lakes as possible! There are only a few constants. We leave California on 8-27-10 and have to be at the wedding on 9-5-10, probably should be there on the 4th for the rehersal dinner too! And we have to be back to Cali by 9-13-10. There are a few must have stops for the trip, lake powell, swing by Mount Rushmore, and we want to board down the mississippi by New Orleans. If you live in any of the states listed, CA, NV, ID, UT, WY, SD, CO, NE, KS, MO, OK, AR, LA, TX, NM, or AZ, where do you board? We want to try hitting up as many lakes as possible! Maybe even two or three a day. Kind of like our own little endless summer of wakeboarding. If your in any of the areas where coming through hit us up and come out on the 'Bu should be a fun trip! 18 days, 16 states, and as many lakes as possible! Wanna come with for part of the trip? Thats cool too! Right now its me and Gary "Invert" Perry!
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
We live in California. We usually ride at Lake Berryessa,Lake Don Pedro and The delta(orwood)
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-15-2010, 1:13 PM Reply   
if you plan to hit berryessa that time of year, EARLY morning, and late afternoon is your best bet. it can get bad mid day in september
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       03-15-2010, 1:21 PM Reply   
For Colorado Horsetooth Res. is a must. Horsetooth is in the northern part of the state in Ft. Collins. If you're coming in through the southern part then Pueblo Lake is a nice spot in Pueblo. Other than those, the rest of our lakes are ponds and are like bathtubs most days.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       03-15-2010, 1:25 PM Reply   
i will be on my house boat out of bullfrog on the 4th of september.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2010, 1:24 PM Reply   
We live in Cali, the bay area and Orwood is our usual delta haunt. We have been to Orville, Trinity, Don Pedro, Lake Berryessa, Tulloch, New Melones, the delta, San Antonio, Naciemento, Anderson, Coyote, Calero, Lopez Lake, San Luis Reservoir. Looking for some place we haven't ridden here yet in CA that might be fun!
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2010, 1:29 PM Reply   
Wow Horsetooth Res. looks tiny, and thats one of your big lakes? We'll have to add it to the list, we want to board in every state along the way! Isn't this by where the Heene's live? We'll have to keep our eyes open for low flying saucers with little boys inside! lol
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2010, 1:33 PM Reply   
We well be stopping by lake Powell but it looks like we'll be heading through there on the 1st or 2nd!
Old     (Moseley618)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-15-2010, 4:17 PM Reply   
I live in Nixa MO. Lake of the ozarks sucks if you want to wakeboard, unless you are on the Little Niangue arm. Way to rough! It is awesome if you want to party. If you want a nice calm lake to board on I would go to bull shoals Protem area. You will not see another boat for 30 min on regular weekend. Tablerock lake is the best of both worlds. I would put in at State Park Marina or Indian Point. Tablerock and bull shoals are 30 min apart at most so you could try both. Lake Ozark just 11/2 hours away also. Let me know if I can help!

Kevin
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-15-2010, 5:07 PM Reply   
if you swing by the arizona utah boarder side of Lake Powell and want some peeps to ride with let me know. i live like 5 or less miles from powell
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-15-2010, 5:21 PM Reply   
Have you ever been to Lake Pillsbury, Ca ?
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-15-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
Jeremy, sounds like a plan.

Walt, haven't made it to Lake Pillsbury yet. Its on the to do list but probably not on this trip. Thinking about just hitting some lakes that are close to highway 80 on the way out and something close to highway 15 on the way home. We don't plan on spending to much time on CA lakes because the whole state is half a days drive or so from our house.
Old     (pickle311)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-15-2010, 5:42 PM Reply   
I hope you're not serious about boarding the Mississippi around NO. If so, you have a serious death wish. People generally don't make it out of that river alive due to the crazy strong current and under toe. People seriously dive in that river to commit suicide.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-20-2010, 11:07 AM Reply   
Flaming gorge, glendo and horsetooth in the same day is a little ambitious. You're talking 8-9 hours of drive time to hit all three. On top of that you won't really get to enjoy glendo and flaming gorge. Fg is huge and glendo fair sized. Horsetooth is small, so you could do half a day there. Glendo and fg each need a day at least, not counting driving. Not even going to go into how much you miss at Powell with anything less than a couple days.
Old     (cjh1669)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-20-2010, 1:47 PM Reply   
Correction, I guess flaming gorge has it's own day, but you still would want at least half a day at glendo, so I'd do only haorse tooth and it together. Still about 8-9 hours from flaming gorge, down through ft.collins, then back up to glendo.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-20-2010, 3:27 PM Reply   
I am a fan of the plan. I admire it. I love it! It's great!!!

I ... I ... I am jealous?

For sure it'll need to take money. It'll need to take youth ... and endurance ... and (that most precious commodity) ... time.

So you want to whip through New Orleans for Lake Pontchartrain not only w/o taking locals advice where else to go but also not stopping to hit the French Quarter (or otherwise sightsee)?

(Note that, I don’t recognize all the places you listed but I have always wanted to boat on Elephant’s Butte. I wonder why I never read a post about anybody wakeboarding there. It seems to me about in the class of Lake Powell. But it’s two different lakes isn’t it? I mean, there’s the lower part below the narrows and then an upper part? And isn’t boating from one part to the other through the narrows supposed to be wondrous?)

I doubt anybody could do that one day you have listed from a start at LOTO to Grand-Table Rock-Bull Shoals. I live in the geographic center of all 4 of those lakes and know 3 of them well (having been on Grand just twice). All are worth it. But I doubt even a motorcycle club that just wanted to dine on the shores of each lake would adopt such an ambitious plan.

I’ve seen ‘Endless Summer.’ All of us wish we could have taken such an adventure.

Go all the way. Make it a summer. Film it. Capitalize on the film or some other way to slow your trip down and extend it over a doable pace. I’d personally consider (modestly) helping finance the adventure ... for advertising space as a sponsor.
Old     (ldeisel42)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-21-2010, 10:03 PM Reply   
I will put my two cents in for Alabama.. I have never been to Weiss Lake but I have been to Lewis Smith lake which is beautiful.. 3rd cleanest lake in the US...check it out...
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-22-2010, 6:32 AM Reply   
I agree with Chris it would be a very long day to try to make it to FG,Glendo and horsetooth res. all in one day its a 2 1/2 hr drive from glendo to ft collins so you might be able to do those two lakes in a day but even that would be a very long day. Good luck with th trip sounds like it will be a lot of fun. If you need help with anything while you are in CO let me know I live about 5min from horstooth res.