Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-19-2010, 6:40 PM Reply   
Well here it is. I finally got off my arse and did it.

I bought two matching LF Omega boards because I loved those designs. One was $60 used on EBAY, and another was $80 new on Ebay. The used one was in great shape though. The frame is made by Body Glove of all companies. I want to say it was around $100 for that. The strange part is it didn't come with the hardware like I thought it would. That wasn't actually that big of a deal. I just had to go to the store and buys some nuts, bolts, and washers.

The frame is squared, and not tubes, so it created a strange problem when I was about to drill the holes into the board. The board is obviously curved, and when put on top of the two frames, it doesn't sit flush. The whole thing was pretty wobbly when I first tried to mount the seat board and drill. To fix that, I got silicone and lined the inner edge of the frame before laying the base board on it. I let that sit and it became stable enough to drill the holes. After that everything worked out perfectly.

I've seen a few of the benches done on here before, and I'm pretty proud of how this turned out. The frame made by Body Glove was a huge surprise but that was for sure the right way of doing this. Now nothing beats the swing bench that Dave has with cupholders and all, but this turned out pretty darn good I think. Here are some pics.
Attached Images

Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-20-2010, 8:30 AM Reply   
Nicely done. Gotta love that they made a kit available to do this.

Heres a bench I've had on my dock for like 10 yrs now. We made them years ago out of boards that HO/Hyperlite had, and 4"x6" landscaping timbers. Their pretty faded now, but I believe they were called the Hyperlite Project. They had been training some new press ops & accidentally made like 40 boards (1 shift), with no inserts for the bindings.... OOOooooops!!

It's funny, I put a steel loop on one leg so I could lock the thing down. But their so heavy that not many people move it anyway. Perfect when the wind kicks up..... other lawn & deck chairs get blown off the dock, but this thing is solid as a rock.

Anyway, we sold a bunch of these benches at the Seattle Boat Show that year. As fast as we could walk in with them, they would be sold & we'd walk out & load it in someone's truck.
Attached Images

Last edited by bill_airjunky; 09-20-2010 at 8:34 AM.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-20-2010, 4:23 PM Reply   
I finally got off my arse and asked my highly skilled retired neighbor to make mine! ;-D I think he did pretty good for having never seen one!
Attached Images

Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-20-2010, 4:38 PM Reply   
looks great kat. that frame looks custom.what board is the top one? looks like a prize fighter theme.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-21-2010, 12:16 AM Reply   
Looking good.

Anyone ever make one that did not involve damaging the board(s)? I figured that the fin holes could easily be used for mounting. A support of some kind would have to go under the seat part of the board to prevent bending in the middle so much, because i realize that there would be a lot of unsupported width from fin hole to fin hole. the back of the bench would receive less weight and stress and probably wouldn't need more support than just from the fin holes.

this way you could make one out of boards you intended to ride again...or were just to sentimental to put any holes in. it would double as a rack and a seat of sorts

Last edited by wakerider111; 09-21-2010 at 12:19 AM.
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-21-2010, 4:54 AM Reply   
Yeah, Robert...the neighbor did make the frame from scratch & I thought it turned out great. The top board is an '01 Hyperlite Byerly 132 and the bottom is an '03 Byerly 132. That '01 was my favorite board ever, both the way it rode & the awesome graphics! I used to buy a new Byerly board every year until they messed it up in '04 with those crazy "notches" cut out of the rails!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-21-2010, 7:36 AM Reply   
Pretty good idea, Jeremy. We always had some many old/defective boards around that it was never a problem. The old place on Sammamish had boards screwed to the fence in the yard..... we called it yard art. The wife loved it at the time but doesn't go for it so much now though.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-21-2010, 7:36 AM Reply   
I could make a ton of those. I have 12 broken Naturals and Shane's sitting in my garage...
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       09-21-2010, 8:17 PM Reply   
Where are the pictures of Dave's bench, I can't seem to find them. Would like to try and duplicate the swing idea
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-24-2010, 11:05 PM Reply   
Here is Dave's bench. This is about the best one I've ever seen, and it doesn't hurt it is mounted to a dock! And in a reclyning possition!
Attached Images

Old     (britshorty)      Join Date: Jun 2009       09-25-2010, 7:09 PM Reply   
That looks so good! +1 for the cupholders. It'd be cool if it could swing around so your feet could be off the dock as well
Old     (KGar11)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-26-2010, 3:12 PM Reply   
i want the ronix bench