Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 03, 2009

Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-28-2009, 9:25 PM Reply   
I know how rumors are but I have heard this from 2 people who are pretty deep in the industry. I can't find anything on the internet to substantiate this. Does anyone know for sure. What does that mean for the tour. I see where Tige and the Pro Am are not going this year and Malibu dropped Bro Stock but Supra picked it up.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-29-2009, 1:05 AM Reply   
According to MasterCraft's president, John Dorton, their support of the Pro Tour will not be affected by the slow economy.
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-29-2009, 6:27 AM Reply   
Thank you Dave. This is why I love WW. The guys that told me this are in the boat industry (not MC). Good to see MC is still behind it.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-29-2009, 6:44 AM Reply   
MC is still sponsoring the tour. The women have gone back to first and last stop only. Seems such a shame that with all the exciting young talent coming up, womens wakeboarding is losing all support.
From what I have heard unless a new sponsor steps up the ladies will not have anything next year.

Cable might be the way to go for the women. At least the venues where you go to compete have been built for that very purpose. No boat etc...
All that is needed is for prize money to be increased.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-29-2009, 8:07 AM Reply   
Roger, Malibu dropped BroStock because LF signed with Supra and BroStock is LF's gig so thats why Malibu is out for that. Tige I have no idea about. Chris, I completely agree that this is a shame, and I can't imagine how big of a pill this is to swallow for you and Nicola. It sucks from a spectator point of view as well... I was going to be making a drive down to Pleasant Prairie this summer for PWT#2 and at previous events it was a blast to watch the Women's divisions, and I know my girlfriend enjoyed it as well, seeing what the ladies would be doing. Definitely a shame, and I hope somebody has the ability to expand the Women's tour back to all the PWT stops.
Old     (wake2wake_66)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-29-2009, 8:18 AM Reply   
I bet Nicola is bummed. I can't believe they would do that after the really good year the girls had last year.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-29-2009, 8:27 AM Reply   
First, seems the guys in the industry have been spreading the rumors. this is not the first time. what they dont understand is that they are making it worse for themselves.

Two, not having women at all stops is such a shame. it really sucks. I cant believe no one is stepping up to the plate to help out. we are not talking about that much money...
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-29-2009, 8:49 AM Reply   
Are my assumptions wrong?
1) The entry fees cover the expenses for an athlete to compete in a Pro Tour event (Gas, Judges, Driver, announcers, administrative expenses, etc.)
2) The site has to be set up anyways. Having the women there costs little or no more.
3) The only real additional cost is prize money. How much were the total purses for the women's tour last year?

It would seem that a sponsor might be able to come in with a relatively small amount of money and increase the women's tour to include all five stops. From the Tour's standpoint, it would hugely broaden the appeal of the events from a spectator's perspective. Better appeal to spectators = better bang for the buck for existing sponsors.
I have no knowledge of any contracts already in effect.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-29-2009, 8:58 AM Reply   
Peter, that's the way i am looking at it. chris can you give feedback? i want to expand my business to orlando in a year. i would sponsor it then but just cant do it before...
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-29-2009, 9:25 AM Reply   
Monavie are the people sponsoring the women (the same Monavie that everyone was flaming on last year) but they want somebody to step up and help.Does anybody think that is unreasonable? Why should they have to finance the whole thing?

This is not only about Nicola. This is the first time for a long time that there are so many new girls coming through (Raimi,Megan Ethell, Anna, Nicola etc....) so it seems a shame that Q of W appears to be fading before it really got going.

By the way I think people will be surprised to find out how much money is actually required to sponsor the tour.

The prize money for all 5 stops for the women in'08 was about 35K plus another $10 for Q of W title, plus Indmar (what's happening with them?) kicked in 5K for the tour winner.

I'm so sorry Nicola never went to the Phillipines
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-29-2009, 9:32 AM Reply   
It's definitely not over the line for MonaVie to ask for some help in sponsoring the QOW. Any suggestions otherwise are just asinine.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-29-2009, 9:37 AM Reply   
wow, its even less than i thought. i was thinking closer to $100k. i cant believe some one in the industry doesnt come up with the money. and they would look like a hero now...
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       03-29-2009, 10:08 AM Reply   
I have always been a big supporter of the women's tour and enjoyed seeing the progression, the girls are all stepping up. Just wondering if it's not a numbers issue? 19 girls were at the 1st stop in Acworth, finished in Reno with 15 & Phoenix only fielded 13 riders. I know injuries and cost played a part in dwindling the field, but only 10 girls rode the whole tour. Just thinking out loud. I hope someone steps up to help Monavite and give the girls the opportunity to showcase their talent.
Old     (reinle)      Join Date: Sep 2005       03-29-2009, 10:23 AM Reply   
I don't think the pro tour is the only place that needs more support with female tournaments. I think all of the grass roots tournaments and tours such as INT need to really encourage girls to participate and push themselves. I think moving girls from the opening acts to a spot in between guys divisions would force spectators to watch and appreciate their talent. When we can grow girls riding from the grass roots foundations, larger tours and competitions would have to follow
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-29-2009, 10:40 AM Reply   
Michael don't get confused. 35K is the prize money. It is over a 100
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-29-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
So what if some Wakeworlders put together a group to come up with the prize money for the remaining 3 stops. It sounds like about $21,000. There are a lot of businesses and individuals represented who would be able to come up with $100 here, $500 there. Would Mona Vie and the Tour accept that kind of help? Could there be some reduction in prize money for those stops if some help was forthcoming, and the full amount could not be raised?
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-29-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
I'm with Ben. Driving down to Kentucky was a lot more worthwhile when my girlfriend and her friends were definite's because they could watch the womens. That's a decent amount of entry tickets when it all adds up.
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-29-2009, 12:22 PM Reply   
It's more than just the prize money. I do not know all the in's and outs but it's more than 20K. Quite a lot more.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       03-29-2009, 1:12 PM Reply   
Like Chris I don't know the exact in's and outs, but there are definitely more costs associated with taking on a sponsorship of something such as this. Just a few things that come across that I can think of, and I'm sure there are many more that others who have a more in depth knowledge of it can kick in.
1) Prize Money
2) Transportation of
a) Product
b)Workers
c)Equipment
3)Workers
a)Paying them
b)Covering their expenses such as lodging, food, etc
4) Advertising
5) Operating costs in general
6) Insurance

There is lots of things that comes to my mind when it comes to it.

But by all means, SOMEBODY PLEASE IGNORE THESE ABOVE REASONS AND KEEP THE Q-O-W UP AND RUNNING FOR 2009!
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       03-29-2009, 4:27 PM Reply   
Chris and Ben- my point is that unless I'm missing something, (which is entirely possible) almost all of the other expenses are paid already.
It would be a win all the way around for the tour, the riders, the fans, and the other sponsors.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-29-2009, 4:34 PM Reply   
thats my line of thought too....
Old     (hoosairboy)      Join Date: Aug 2005       03-29-2009, 4:52 PM Reply   
It makes sense that most of the fixed cost are covered by the men. I would think women brings in more people than Jr Men and I think they are still on. Aren't they?

A TV contract would attract sponsors. I know Fuel TV has coverage but I bet the demographics are not good for female oriented products. I wish someone would produce a interesting wakeboard show for TV. DOn't tell me that not that many people wakeboard. I can promise you not enough people snowboard or skateboard to have NBC cover it if they were limiting their appeal to that market.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-29-2009, 5:01 PM Reply   
this is total BS
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-29-2009, 5:11 PM Reply   
The Q of W hasn't disappeared. It's just 5 stops as opposed to the 9 they had last year.(2 pro tour, Wake Games,Nationals,Worlds)

Peter, I don't know why it costs so much more to have the woman at all the stops.That's just how it is
Old     (nsolis220)      Join Date: May 2007       03-29-2009, 5:53 PM Reply   
i bet your a little of Chris. Peter has a great point. There are several things they can do. Have less heats and less rounds equals less costs. Offer a little less money. and go after someone with a womens line for marketing.

Hell Paul mitchell sponsors snowboarding comps. Its all about getting it out. I know the marketing of this event can be better.

I would be willing to attach my company name to the events in the states we are licensed in. 5-10k is a small cost of doing business.
Old     (michaelspsp)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-29-2009, 6:22 PM Reply   
and what about companies like ROXY? compared to the rent they pay in the malls.....