Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-18-2011, 5:04 PM Reply   
Anyone here have a '09-10 VLX and surfed with the stock hard tank ballast and wedge? How is it? How does it compare the RZ2 stock ballast wake (250lb hard tank + 350 lb bag). How is the VLX wake with added fat sacs?

Any input appreciated!
Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-18-2011, 7:49 PM Reply   
I have a 09, with the same hull We surf goofy with stock rear full center full, port side about1/8 full, 750 in starboard locker, 450 on starboard seat and 400 on right side of the bow, wedge at2 clicks past bottom, speed at 10.8. we get a great goofy wave, better than my friends 2010 rz2 with the optional surf set up. Only thing is, because Malibu factors in the wedge, we are prolly abit over the weight limit
Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-18-2011, 8:00 PM Reply   
Stock the rz2 is better. the vlx is surfable stock, but not that big. The Malibu drives alot nicer, and handles better empty, the RZ2 has a nicer exhaust system, much quieter ride. Both have top notch interiors
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-18-2011, 9:23 PM Reply   
How are people plumbing in the fat sacs to the VLX? I dont believe they offer a plug 'n play option, are they just filling the sacs with an external Tsunami pump? I really like the way the RZ2 has the additional bags for the plug 'n play, simple and easy. I believe Malibu builds the Axis brand as well, and Axis offers a plug 'n play ballast system. Not sure why Malibu is not offering this feature.

Last edited by fman; 01-18-2011 at 9:27 PM.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       01-19-2011, 6:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fman View Post
How are people plumbing in the fat sacs to the VLX? I dont believe they offer a plug 'n play option, are they just filling the sacs with an external Tsunami pump? I really like the way the RZ2 has the additional bags for the plug 'n play, simple and easy. I believe Malibu builds the Axis brand as well, and Axis offers a plug 'n play ballast system. Not sure why Malibu is not offering this feature.
You are correct, Malibu does not have the plug'n play. I talked to our local dealer the other day and asked that same question. He said they could install them at the dealer if you want. I would just negotiate that into my purchase. I really would not want to have to use a Tsunami pump every time I go out.

It is a little strange that the Axis offers Plug'n play and Malibu doesn't. My guess is that will change in the near future.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-19-2011, 7:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakewoody View Post
Stock the rz2 is better. the vlx is surfable stock, but not that big. The Malibu drives alot nicer, and handles better empty, the RZ2 has a nicer exhaust system, much quieter ride. Both have top notch interiors
Define handles better empty. I can run my RZ2 up to about 40 mph and crank the wheel all the way and keep on driving. I didn't get that feel of confidence in the Malibu that I drove.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       01-19-2011, 1:17 PM Reply   
If your malibu has stock ballast then removing stock tanks and replacing with custom sacs would be easy and basically plug and play.
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       01-19-2011, 5:03 PM Reply   
The wedge should not be offered on any boat smaller than the 23lsv. Just makes the wake way too steep for boarding and for surfing not to mention it shortens the surfable area substantially
Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-19-2011, 5:09 PM Reply   
I will define handling better as better steering response, tighter turning radius and a smoother steering feel. The Malibu sucks for adding custom ballast on the goofy side because the cooler is under the seat on the right side Too bad, because the wave is the best on this side. The handling is just my opinion, I get too drive them back to back quite often
Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-19-2011, 6:40 PM Reply   
wave
Attached Images

Old     (jdoggy_73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-19-2011, 9:59 PM Reply   
If you don't plan on filling bags everytime, check out Wakemakers.com for their piggyback and tankbuster options:
http://www.wakemakers.com/malibu

Add an additional 400 to 1,100lbs... starting at $209.95.
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-20-2011, 2:26 PM Reply   
My next question, is anyone using on a '09-11 VLX the 750 lb plug 'n play piggyback system from wakemakers? I called them and they said they surfed a 2010 VLX lasst year with this setup and the wake was incredible. Does anyone here with a BU have any information on this setup? They said it was a 45 minute install and it has been working great for them. Sounds like a great option....
Old     (wakewoody)      Join Date: Sep 2010       01-20-2011, 5:13 PM Reply   
The wave maker system is nice if you want a medium size wave, and all on switches and hidden. Its downside is that it is slow and does not empty all the way. the front ballast part fills on both sides of the boat, not the surf side. Unfortunatly the VLX needs at least a 400 on the side seat for a bigger wave. (goofy side)
Old     (jdoggy_73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       01-20-2011, 10:03 PM Reply   
Not sure where you are located, but in NorCal we have the mussell inspections at the lakes, and the only reason I have not purchased the wakemakers systems (PITA to inspect with any bags/water). I've only heard the same stuff Dirk has, but for flip a switch and go, this is a cheap and easy option.

The only other options I've run across is lead or pop bags:
http://www.bombwake.com/index_files/ballast.htm