Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 09, 2003

Old     (ahuser22)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-03-2003, 11:14 AM Reply   
Anybody got any views on the two Liquid Force boards..the Substance and the Balance? I have been really thinking about getting a new board. Also, is the Ultra Core worth the extra 150? Any help would be great. Thanks
Old     (cramey)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-03-2003, 11:21 AM Reply   
i've ridden both.

the substance has more pop, the balance seems a bit quicker. they both pop awesome, don't get me wrong. Let me rephrase the pop on the substance, its a little more aggressive 3 stange than the balance.

is the ultra core worth it... i dunno. I've ridden an ultra core trip before and it was so damn light. but if it breaks, warranty will usually pick it up as long as you've treated the board well.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-03-2003, 11:35 AM Reply   
from my point of view, the Ultra Core isn't worth it, but keep in mind I've never ridden one. I've ridden both the Balance 140 and I currently ride the Substance 141. The Balance is much much faster and the pop is moderate, it pops very flat it kinda throws you out with the tail up. Awkward at first but very easy to get used to. I'm not a big fan of the cupped fins, I feel like they pull the board deeper in the water when you cut and I don't like that. It does give some people a great feeling of confidence though. The substance pops much more straight up and real floaty it's a little slower but it's super easy to edge. You can really play with the speed a little with the fin. I have the .8" fin on my 141 (it comes with a 1.1, the 136 comes with the .8") and it's perfect. I rode it finless and it didn't track as well for me and it felt a touch too fast.
Old     (ahuser22)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-03-2003, 12:40 PM Reply   
cramey thanks for the input man, you said if it breaks? have you heard of them breaking a lot?

Thane thanks too for the advice, you said it throws you out with the tail up, what do you mean? One more thing, you ride the 141, how much do you weigh?

Thanks again for all the input
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-03-2003, 12:41 PM Reply   
the way the balance pops it just feels like the tail kinda floats up on you more than any other board. Not necessarily a bad thing it just takes a little gettin' used to.

I'm 5'8" and 140lbs and I ride the 141.
Old    funky            07-03-2003, 12:49 PM Reply   
"throws you out with the tail up"

Sounds like rider error to me, rather than board characteristics.
Old     (ahuser22)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-03-2003, 12:54 PM Reply   
Thanks thane, alright, any of you guys ride a Subjekt? I don't mean to throw another one in the mixer, but I just wanna get some good opinions

Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-03-2003, 1:03 PM Reply   
ask Joe if he's ridden the Subjekt.
Old    norcal_99            07-03-2003, 2:57 PM Reply   
One word ~~~~~~> DEMO
Old     (ahuser22)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-03-2003, 3:29 PM Reply   
I wish I had someplace around here that got demo boards, but I have called everywhere and they don't have anything. Central Wisconsin just doesn't seem to get into it as much
Old     (jediknight)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-04-2003, 2:58 AM Reply   
I recently bought a Balance 140, love the board, v. fast on edge and a super smoothe pop. But I get the floaty tail thing too, thought it was just me and it seems pretty heavy
Old    wakeboard_kid3            07-04-2003, 10:03 AM Reply   
Aaron were in wisconsin do you live cause i live in wisconsin too
Old     (sangster)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-04-2003, 1:14 PM Reply   
Switched from Trip 138 to Balance 140 and love it. Not to take anything away from the Trip but I like that I get a little more pop with the Balance. Haven't noticed the tail up phenomenom either but maybe I don't get as much air and pop as you guys.
Old     (ahuser22)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-04-2003, 3:24 PM Reply   
I live in Stevens Point, WI, what about you?

Thanks for all the input from everyone about the balance and the substance