Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old    jfair            07-19-2006, 10:27 PM Reply   
Im looking realy close at a used MB B52 V23 but got a little discouraged when i hear they are having problems with the wake being washed out. Has anyother MB owenr or rider experienced this?
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       07-19-2006, 10:48 PM Reply   
only if youre riding too slow as far as ive seen/rode
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-20-2006, 6:19 AM Reply   
most any new "wakeboat" will have a washy wake w/ ballast and slow speeds ---for that matter my 205 wake is washy w/ ballast @ 17mph --but who rides that slow -- no-one unless you are a beginner --and then wash and ballast are not a factor... Hello demo.....
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       07-20-2006, 7:30 AM Reply   
hahaha ^^^^^
Old     (tonality)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-20-2006, 7:51 AM Reply   
I guess you can't spell FLAME without LAME... oh well.

Tons of good info on your other post man, and like I said, I own one of the MB's that are touted as a 'flawed design' (02 hull) and still have no problems with washy wake when it's done properly.

(Message edited by tonality on July 20, 2006)
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-20-2006, 11:11 AM Reply   
MB is definitely the best wake I have EVER ridden....and i have ridden them all with the exception of Epic. It is rock solid and huge. I don't work for any boat store and am not sponsored in any way. I have been around the scene for quite some time too. So your really getting fair opinion from me. I think you should see for yourself. My buddy Alan will tell you the proper way of weighting it(with stock tanks only) so you will get optimal results.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-20-2006, 11:32 AM Reply   
I am much like Nathan Hudson, not sponsored by a boat dealer nor do i work for one. The difference is that I could not stand the MB wake, it was washed over and the lip on it was funny. You still got some pop but it did not have the defined lip of other boats. I've ridden a few, one was the boat of a guy who is sponsored by MB and knows what he is doing when it comes to weight. Take it for what its worth, my opinion. Try before you buy and see if it covers what you need.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-20-2006, 11:40 AM Reply   
i've experienced it as well as many others. w/ over 2000lbs of weight (maybe closer to 3000lbs), no matter how fast the boat went, they just couldn't clean up the wake.

and for what it's worth, i ride anywhere from 23.5 to 24.5mph.

(Message edited by dakid on July 20, 2006)
Old    jfair            07-20-2006, 12:13 PM Reply   
Can anyone prove that the MB puts out a clean wake? for what ive read on a few sites now is that most people have experienced a washed out wake behind the MB's. Ive seen video that makes it appear as if the wake is clean but it looks peaky and soft. Where as the other 23' boats appear to be rampy and hard or more solid. Does any one else agree with this?
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-20-2006, 12:13 PM Reply   
MB must be sending me special 23v's because none of my '06's (19 and counting) have a wake that washes over 21 mph, with full ballast. Lucky me and happy customers.
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-20-2006, 12:22 PM Reply   
Yep, I will be glad to. I have 500+ pictures of people riding behind v23's but all of them are of the riders and the tricks they are doing. Next time I get out I will be sure to take pics of the wake with no ballast at 19 and of full ballast at 22. NO WASH. Maybe the water here in the east is just different. No Malibu wake comes close with factory ballast, or at least the 20-30 VLX's and LSV's I have ridden behind. Yes even the camo LSV in Texas, I know the original owner.

(Message edited by Alan-s on July 20, 2006)
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-20-2006, 2:24 PM Reply   
hopefully this will clear things up a little for all the haters....as you recall there was a post about a pink MB B52 V23. Here are the pics from there that show the wake. DAMN IT LOOKS CLEAN AND BIG TO ME!!! JUST AS I REMEMBER!

Upload
Upload
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-20-2006, 2:44 PM Reply   
that's the best wake you have ever ridden?
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-20-2006, 4:10 PM Reply   
the pictures really don't do it justice...but it does show that its clean and solid.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-20-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
There are better boats out there for the money.

And to say that no Malibu wake even comes close with factory ballast..........makes me laugh my ass off!!
Old     (rmitchell242)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-20-2006, 6:43 PM Reply   
nate is that pic from a pro star 190?
Old    basemechanic            07-20-2006, 8:11 PM Reply   
my mb b52 23v took me a while to dail it in and
it takes someone who knows how to weight a boat and used the tanks to off set people in the boat
and the wake can be great on any boat you ride behind if you know how to set it up
Old    jfair            07-20-2006, 10:28 PM Reply   
Is that wake pic suppose to convince me to buy Malibu or MB
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-20-2006, 11:33 PM Reply   
"and the wake can be great on any boat you ride behind if you know how to set it up"

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. I've never been on an MB, so I won't comment, but there are aspects of a wake, such as firmness, that no amount of weight can change on some boats.

I had a friend with a 2003 Tige 22V and he preferred my wake on my '88 Ski Nautique because of the firmness and shape. btw, this kid was the best rider I've ever personally seen. He had a crazy amount of tricks up to a 720. He knew how to weight boats.

I'm not knocking on Tige's as I never rode even rode in his boat or anyone else's 22v. I have been on better wakes than mine but I've also been in other boats though, that no amount of weight or weight distribution has brough it to a level equal to mine. The wake were fine and I could still get good air but I sure had to work a lot harder on those wakes.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-21-2006, 1:44 AM Reply   
i agree with jrod...that's the best wake you've ridden?

"haters?" what are you, 16? we don't all have to like everything that you like. accept it.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-21-2006, 5:13 AM Reply   
Joe, first lets get to the point.....the point of this thread says that MB has washed out wakes. I came onto this thread to say that its MY favorite wake and disprove that its washed out. I have ridden many many of all the other manufacturers boats. YES its my favorite but that isn't what we are talking about...i referenced those pictures to disprove that the wake is washed out.

Secondly, my use of terms and my age have nothing to do with the fact that the pictures posted above show a clean wake. By the way I am 26. I never said you had to like what I like. I am just posting because when weighted right the MBs are NOT washed out. By the way let me put something into perspective for you....that wake in those pictures is stock ballast only.

Hey jrod, remember your comments on this topic too....
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/321001.html

(Message edited by iamnathanhudson on July 21, 2006)
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-21-2006, 5:15 AM Reply   
or better yet....here it is....

"wow that wake does look good."
Old     (alans)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-21-2006, 5:30 AM Reply   
Hey Nate, don't sweat these kids, I guess Joe and Jrod just know a lot more about boats and wakes than we do here in VA. Guess I should go back and try to find my old '03 SANTE that I put 900 hrs on or my '01 SANTE w/1200 hrs and buy back the 1600#s of lead I sold and ride behind a real wake. Or better yet, trade in my Mb and get a VLX, the most hyped up, common boat out there with its very mediocre wake and smack my head on my bimini or tower speakers every day while dealing with a power wedge that breaks down every 30 hrs. No thanks, I'll keep my MB, if the wake is washing on you, you need to speed up or let out some of the ballast, because it sounds like you are just trying to bite off more than you can chew.

Nate, check it out, Travis made the cover of Alliance this month, and Adam has a full spread in WBM....again. Gosh just think how good they would be if they rode behind a Malibu and didn't ride with us.
Old     (iamnathanhudson)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-21-2006, 8:50 AM Reply   
BLADOW!!!!!!
Old    bocephus            07-21-2006, 11:34 AM Reply   
Alan,
Don't stoop brother, there are some threads that deserve to die! Everyone can have differing opinions but why respond to those with nothing to add? Don't stoop brother!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-21-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
"I guess Joe and Jrod just know a lot more about boats and wakes than we do here in VA. "

If you say so. But how did you reach that conclusion from my one sentence?

Most guys I know hate the MB wake and love the VLX wake.... stock. You're the first person I've heard call the VLX wake mediocre.

Above is your MB wake....and here is a 2005 VLX completely stock with 4 people in it. I think the MB wake looks a little flat in comparison.

Upload
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-21-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
Alan, yes I see my comment on the other thread..I speak the truth...that wakes looks great for a stock wake...definitley better than most stock boats. Better than my stock X2 wake actually.

Nate said the wake above was the best he has ever ridden as he was preaching MB MB... That's all I questioned.

I see you are an MB dealer. That explains your bad mouthing the Malibu. You're the type of dealer I would NEVER buy from.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-21-2006, 8:15 PM Reply   
wow...nice spin, alan. for the record, i never claimed to know more about boats and wakes than the people of va.

but, i do ride better wakes than nathan.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-21-2006, 8:16 PM Reply   
Well put J-Rod....well put.
Old     (slax303)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Portland to Boston       07-21-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
heres an idea.. just stop fighting over a fight that cant be won or lost.. everyone has their own opinions with their own style. as for the original question, just go demo them both. you can listen to people who love their malibus over everyone, and youre going to get many more of them, cause theyre the most common boat. you can listen to the people who love their MB's and take their word for it. but in the end, youre buying a boat based on someone else's word. i love my MB, for the record the only boat i would even consider over an MB at this point is a correct craft, but i know many people would disagree. bottom line, who cares what everyone else likes. its your money, go try them out and find out yourself.
Old     (toesideturtle)      Join Date: Oct 2002       07-22-2006, 11:05 AM Reply   
If you are looking at a used boat, take it out and test it for yourself. Put some weight in it , drive it, ride behind it...come to your own conclusion. After all, it is your money, your decision, your preference---some guys like blondes with big boobs--I like brunettes without fakies:-) That being said, I have been fortunate enough to ride behind really great boats--fully weighted. My experience with the B52 has been one of disappointment. I did not like the characteristics or some of the features in the boat. For my money, I would choose Malibu, Supra or MC. This is just my opinion, based on my experiences. I was also impressed with Sanger.
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       07-22-2006, 11:37 AM Reply   
Wow I just ran across this thread today. I bought an MB about a month ago. I ahve owned a clabria Pro V and a Moomba XLV...here is my take on my own experiences. I liked the Pro V wake it wasnt huge but was fine for me...that was with just stock balast at 700 lbs which I know was not enough but for me it was fine. The Moomba Wake stock was larger then the Pro V and probabbly to big for me at my level of riding. The Mb Wake with the 2500 lbs of balast was like a monster at about 21-25 it want washed out for me atleast....I let some balast out casue I didnt need the wake that big. I have ridden Buzzes VLX and he has a very nice wake to....I woulndt say I like his better or mine loved riding in both boats. I guess back to the original question about do we find the MB wakes washed out...I didnt personaly, is it possible to have the same model boat and the wake be different?
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-22-2006, 11:58 AM Reply   
just put more flames and checkerboard on it and forget about the wake
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-22-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
LOL 882001...
Now go put a tower on your boat.
Old     (bbr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-22-2006, 3:24 PM Reply   
882001, my side hurts now because I was laughing so hard.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-22-2006, 3:36 PM Reply   
if they made one with flames AND checkerboard on the same boat, i'd be all over that. it would be the hizzy
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-22-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
882001, bahahahahhahaha! that was freakin' hilarious!
Old     (pink)      Join Date: May 2006       07-24-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
ok to set things straight that is me in the pics and mb does have a white cape on the lip of the wake but its nothing to worry about you go over it and it acts like a kicker i love it you just have to get used to it just like any other wake
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-25-2006, 3:53 PM Reply   
The MB wake pic does not look very tall in that pic...

882001- awesome! lol

Chuck- Blondes fo sho!
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-25-2006, 5:36 PM Reply   
"I guess Joe and Jrod just know a lot more about boats and wakes than we do here in VA. "

They probably do.
Old     (agfan12)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-25-2006, 6:34 PM Reply   
882001, HAHAHAHA

Not to throw gas on a fire, but I had the same experience as many of the above. I've never been in one, and therefore haven't driven one, so I can't comment on the amenities of it, but I rode one in a contest and it was the least favorite wake I've ever ridden. Even after I fell and the driver and judges came around to pick me up the driver and judges were appologizing for the wake and saying that it was the best they had ever seen it.

I will be the first to admit that I need to give it another shot though.