Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-24-2009, 4:22 PM Reply   
So I de-winterized the boat today and dipped it in the water and noticed that the transmission shaft seems to be leaking a pretty good stream of water. I've heard that a few drips are ok but this is a fairly good stream. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
chris
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-24-2009, 4:39 PM Reply   
Either repack or replace with the OJ system.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-24-2009, 4:40 PM Reply   
I just had my head stuck under mine to change the oil filter, happened to catch a glimpse of the prop shaft under there & wondered how I would ever be able to get in there well enough to adjust that. Access under that v-drive sucks.

This process is best done in the water. You can be on the trailer or lift but the prop needs to be submerged.

The prop shaft has two large nuts around it that lock against each other. The way you adjust it is to hold the one closest to the prop, and loosen the other. Then tighten the one closest to the prop, maybe 1/16th or 1/8th of a turn, then lock the other nut back down.

Start the boat & put it in gear. Check out how much flow is coming thru the prop packing. Like you said, it's supposed to be like a couple drips every 10 seconds. You may have to go thru this process a few times before you get the flow right. And remember that too much is fine, but too little will burn the bushing up.

Heres a good thread to read on the subject.

Good luck.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       04-24-2009, 6:08 PM Reply   
I made a couple of wrenches to adjust it on my old boat and replaced it with gortex packing...didn't leak much after that. The wrenches I made sure did make it easier!
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-24-2009, 8:20 PM Reply   
Looks like Home depot here I come tomorrow. So basically I need a 1 7/8 wrench and some gortex packing? Where do I get the gortex packing? Thanks for all the help
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       04-24-2009, 8:59 PM Reply   
You'll need 2 of those wrenches and will probably have to cut them down to work on a V-Drive.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-24-2009, 9:14 PM Reply   
I doubt you will need to repack it. Just tighten it down a bit. Save it for a winter job when you have time to order a dripless packing from Skidim.com.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-25-2009, 7:07 AM Reply   
So I guess I will try and tighten today. I assume that as long as my bilge can keep up with the water is shouldn't be a big deal. So which dripless product is best?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-25-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
Can't help you there. I see OJ's system listed on Skidim.com for $149. But I haven't made the leap myself. My Vride is only 4 yrs old & I can't imagine it will need a new packing for some time.

I had my 94 MC 205 till 2005 & never replaced it. I think I tightened it maybe twice in that time frame.

If you store a boat dry for a long period of time (over the winter), then put the boat in the lake, these things have a tendency to leak a bit more until they swell up, then leak at the correct rate. Give it a couple days & see what it does.... unless it's really leaking a lot, then by all means make the adjustment.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on April 25, 2009)
Old     (warwagon)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-25-2009, 10:50 AM Reply   
Yeah the first time I had mine out this year it had a good size drip rate. Checked it last time and it was fine.
Old     (worththewake)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-26-2009, 6:57 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the help. Unfortunately I was unable to find the correct size wrench. I also talked to my dealer and he informed me that I could probably just hand tighten it but I'm not superman and it wasn't happening. Well, I'm taking it out today so we shall see what happens. I will keep you guys posted. Thanks again
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-26-2009, 10:38 AM Reply   
Mine always leaks like that the first few times out. Give it a couple times out.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-26-2009, 11:05 AM Reply   
I was able to use channel locks to get mine loose. It was not real tight. Changing it is not as hard as it looks and way cheaper than a drip less.