Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-06-2013, 8:42 AM Reply   
Kind of a lame topic, but I need to buy some gas cans for boat refueling. Looking for recommendations of good quality cans. What do you all use/prefer? Thx!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-06-2013, 9:04 AM Reply   
My favorite ever are the Hunsaker Quikfils (http://www.quickfilljugs.com/8-gal-q...jugs-c-35.html), but they are expensive. They are suspiciously cheap here: http://www.polyperformance.com, so not sure how they got the price down that low.

My most recent purchase was for two of PU-Products "utility jugs" (http://www.sidebysidesports.com/5utjug9.html). They are super easy to handle, but don't fill as fast as the Hunsaker. I liked them because they are tall and take up less floor space. However, that also means they fall over easier when standing up in the back of your truck, so you usually have to strap them up. I think they make a rack to hold four of them, which would solve that problem, but I can't seem to find it now.

I like the ones with a handle on the bottom because it makes pouring a lot easier!

Last edited by wakeworld; 02-06-2013 at 9:22 AM.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-06-2013, 9:07 AM Reply   
No matter the can, you need to go to tractor supply or harbor freight and get an "EZ Siphon". $5.99-9.99 depending on the sale.

I love these things. I give them away like crazy
Old     (PureWakesurfing1)      Join Date: Sep 2012       02-06-2013, 9:08 AM Reply   
We use the VP jugs with quickfill for our race bikes. The LC one's are good too. I've filled the boat in the water before and the quickfill is sometimes faster than the pump. Definitely worth the extra $20 or so over a cheap can. Just make sure you get a hose cap.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...Jerry-Can.aspx
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...ility-Jug.aspx
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-06-2013, 10:10 AM Reply   
I have 4 of the Hunsaker 5 gallon jugs, they hold just over 6 gallons and they are great. Just about the right weight, don't fall over, quick pouring, easy to handle, strong, great filler tube system, clear so you can see the fuel level. But, they did cost me about 45 per jug when I purchased them. They were off the market for a while but its good to see them back. They are probably considered water jugs since they do not conform to the latest standards.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-06-2013, 10:17 AM Reply   
I had a 11-13 gallon Hunsaker, but the seam ended up splitting on it. I still have a 5-gallon, but I'd really like to try some of the 8-gallons. Definitely the best of all worlds with these cans!
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       02-06-2013, 12:37 PM Reply   
+2 for the "EZ Siphon". You don't even have to set your beer down
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-06-2013, 1:13 PM Reply   
Since I couldn't find the PU-Products jugs online, I sent them an email and they said they had to stop selling them (even though they advertised them as "utility" jugs and specified that they shouldn't be used to carry fuel) because the state of California threatened to fine them $500 per jug. Good ol' state of California...doing all we can to run businesses out of the state!
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-06-2013, 2:49 PM Reply   
Although I understand the problem when you overfill with a Hunsaker jug, I spilled much more fuel trying to use the new style cans. Good old California out to save us from ourselves...they sure screwed this one up.
Old     (LFMCrider6)      Join Date: Jun 2011       02-06-2013, 3:13 PM Reply   
X3 ex siphon they are great
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       02-06-2013, 4:29 PM Reply   
At the lake house I have a few of the good old style cans with a normal fill nozzle and normal vent on other end. They work great. Aside from that I normally just take the cap off the new cans and use a wide mouth funnel. Pours fast and you can usually keep spillage to a minimum even without a vent. Still not as good as a normal vented can though, will splash/spill if you're not careful.

I have seen some guys put tire valve stems into the new cans to use as a vent. Drill a hole insert valve stem and cap. Do not put a valve in it or obviously it won't vent.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       02-06-2013, 5:45 PM Reply   
Yeah, those environmental cans crack me up. I've never spilled so much gas in my life!!
Old     (runin90lx)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-06-2013, 6:39 PM Reply   
Just another great reason to show why California is bankrupt. They try to over regulate every single thing in your life
Old     (Shawn)      Join Date: Aug 2011       02-06-2013, 10:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeworld View Post
Yeah, those environmental cans crack me up. I've never spilled so much gas in my life!!
I have literally killed fish from spilling so much gas in the lake from the new cans!...not that I was at all trying to with the price of gas! Poor guy was floating in the sheen by time I was fueled up...
Old     (cougarfan83)      Join Date: Sep 2011       02-07-2013, 12:33 AM Reply   
Good stuff. Thanks! I'm in California and I am going to purposely buy non-environmental cans just to stick it to the environmentalists that have screwed this state.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-07-2013, 6:59 AM Reply   
The tire stem trick works great but you still have to deal with the crappy nozzle at the other end.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-07-2013, 9:55 AM Reply   
We got a Gas Dock.... works great for our situation......
it's similar to this.... http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...ls.cgi?i=31249